Is the food on johnny rocket free?

If you are a Crown and Anchor member (you can join on your first cruise), you will get a coupon book with a coupon for the Johnny Rockets cover charge. You will have to pay for beverages, but if I remember right, a fountain soda was $1.50 with all the refills you want. Cherry cokes, chocolate cokes, etc. My husband was in chocolate heaven.

The waitstaff does a little singing and dancing. It's a scream. I don't think I would go there more than once during a trip, but it's a lot of fun.

If you are a Crown and Anchor member (you can join on your first cruise), you will get a coupon book with a coupon for the Johnny Rockets cover charge. You will have to pay for beverages, but if I remember right, a fountain soda was $1.50 with all the refills you want. Cherry cokes, chocolate cokes, etc. My husband was in chocolate heaven.

The waitstaff does a little singing and dancing. It's a scream. I don't think I would go there more than once during a trip, but it's a lot of fun.

Just to clarify: You don't become an actual member until after completing your first cruise, so you don't get the coupon book on your first cruise.

beachchick

It used to be free but, they apparently had issues with the teens making it into a hang out (it's next to adventure ocean, the teen disco and the arcade) and that seemed to upset a lot of "older" folks that wanted to eat there. Supposedly the tables were always occupied by people not eating and a lot of food was supposedly wasted.

So, RCI tried adding a nominal charge of $3.95 but, you could eat all you wanted. They started out doing this on either one or two ships to see how it was going to work. Eventually, they decided it was working and it spread to all the ships.

The only cruise we've been on that had a JR's there was no problem getting a seat. Personally, I don't see the attraction and, I think it made the perfect hang out for the younger crowd. It'd be nice if RCI could go back to not charging and just letting the kids have the place as a place of their own. It would give the parents an option of food their kids would gladly eat as well. But, that's not the way it is so I guess I'm in the minority.

dougp- I agree with you. I thought the food was disgusting and the shakes were nothing to write home to Mom about. Not something I want to have on my cruise. I say turn it over to the teens. At least they aren't in trouble going and doing things they shouldn't be doing.

Keep in mind I didn't say I thought the food was disgusting. It's just that I eat enough burgers and fries at home as to be able to skip that meal for 7 nights.

On the other hand, towards the end of our 12 night med cruise, while in Corfu Greece, we did pass up many very nice looking restaurant to indulge in a double cheeseburger and fries at McDonalds. I guess if you're away from the same old poison you eat every day, you eventually come to miss it.

At one time JR's was included in your cruise fare but the previous posters are correct about the $3.95 cover charge.

I have to disagree with those who say to turn it over to the kids. I actually enjoy sitting along the ocean at about midnight with burger, fries & a chocolate shake. :)

Food is not disgusting either. It's not a gourmet restaurant, but it is what it is. A good 50's type diner.

I've found JRs to be much better than those that are not extra charge. The free ones that have always been available are still available and still free.

$3.95 for a good double juicy burger with fries and onion rings is a great bargain. It's a personal choice option. No one will force you to go to JRs.

beachchick:

Thanks for clarifying what I posted. You are absolutely correct about not being a C&A member until after the first cruise. You can fill out the paperwork while on the ship, but it does not become effective until the cruise is over.

Happy sailing to all.

I've found JRs to be much better than those that are not extra charge. The free ones that have always been available are still available and still free.

$3.95 for a good double juicy burger with fries and onion rings is a great bargain. It's a personal choice option. No one will force you to go to JRs.

$3.95 for all the food you can it is a bargain. It's just I'm not out for a burger and fries on a cruise. At least not on the 7 night cruise. I think it was either day 9 or 10 before we broke down and went after the McDonalds burger (which is not as good as JR's) on our 12 night cruise. So I guess I'd be wanting the kids out of there if I was on a longer cruise and burger withdrawl started to hit me. ;)

Archived