Transportation to Anchorage airport

Gray Lady

We are leaving Anchorage on Tuesday to fly home. We are on our own to get to the airport, and the hotel we are staying at cannot tell us anything about transportation options ( we are in quarantine). We are about 8 miles away from the airport, and have never been to Anchorage before. Does anyone have any suggestions for how we could get there -car service, airporter, etc? We have 3 suitcases and there are two of us. Just thought someone could point me in a direction for something they have used before. 

We took a taxi from Anchorage airport to our hotel, about 6 miles away.  I can't recall the exact cost, but I think it was about $20.  You could just ask the hotel front desk to call a cab for you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

We are leaving Anchorage on Tuesday to fly home. We are on our own to get to the airport, and the hotel we are staying at cannot tell us anything about transportation options ( we are in quarantine). We are about 8 miles away from the airport, and have never been to Anchorage before. Does anyone have any suggestions for how we could get there -car service, airporter, etc? We have 3 suitcases and there are two of us. Just thought someone could point me in a direction for something they have used before. 

Taxicabs are available at both Terminals of the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.

Alaska Yellow Cab
Phone: (907) 222-2222

Independent Taxi
Phone: (907) 550-5000

The cost of a taxi ride from the airport to downtown is approximately $17.00 to $22.00 (as of April 2021) and the ride takes approximately 15 to 20 minutes.

Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport - Taxi Service (alaska.gov)

Sorry for your Covid quarantine, we cruise first July 10th, then our land tour to Denali.

25 minutes ago, RSWBADGER said:

Taxicabs are available at both Terminals of the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.

Alaska Yellow Cab
Phone: (907) 222-2222

Independent Taxi
Phone: (907) 550-5000

The cost of a taxi ride from the airport to downtown is approximately $17.00 to $22.00 (as of April 2021) and the ride takes approximately 15 to 20 minutes.

Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport - Taxi Service (alaska.gov)

Sorry for your Covid quarantine, we cruise first July 10th, then our land tour to Denali.

Yes, cruising first is much better. The land tours are packed with people crammed into tight spaces with almost no masks or social distancing. We never made it to our cruise. Pretty sure my hubby, who always wore his mask, caught it in Fairbanks. Thank you for the information. We are a little beyond downtown, but that gives us a good idea of what it will cost and hopefully can prearrange one. Enjoy your cruise….hopefully next year we can do our first cruise-and we will try for Alaska again!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

We'll be in Anchorage in September, taking the all-day bus tour from Seward to Anchorage post-cruise. We are a family of 7 and would like to travel together the next morning from Embassy Suites Anchorage to the airport, and we are having a hard time finding transportation options besides calling multiple taxis. The hotel told us to call a specific local transport company, and they wanted hundreds of dollars for the 10-15 minute ride.

Anyone have any updated suggestions/experiences with transport options in Anchorage? Thanks!

The trip is 5 miles. Public transportation is not particularly convenient for this trip, nor is hiring a large vehicle is not particularly cost-effective for this trip. (Very short trips with a large vehicle are almost always going to be very expensive and inefficient.) Not many other collective choices. I recognize that some people cannot be left along and must be attended at all times (e.g., infants, elderly people with dementia). Are there enough chaperones in this family that it is possible that all can survive being separated, in multiple taxis, for ten minutes?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GTJ said:

The trip is 5 miles. Public transportation is not particularly convenient for this trip, nor is hiring a large vehicle is not particularly cost-effective for this trip. (Very short trips with a large vehicle are almost always going to be very expensive and inefficient.) Not many other collective choices. I recognize that some people cannot be left along and must be attended at all times (e.g., infants, elderly people with dementia). Are there enough chaperones in this family that it is possible that all can survive being separated, in multiple taxis, for ten minutes?

Thank you for your insights. Very helpful. I am surprised there is a lack of options for airport transfers or shuttles.

Yes, we could split up into groups if we have to, so there is definitely that taxi option. I'd even be open to two smaller cars from a transport company, but I can't find any that offer that.

If we do end up having to do taxis, do you (or anyone else) have any experience with taxis in Anchorage? Are they generally reliable to show up on time? Any experience/advice/preferences?

Thanks, again!

7 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Have you checked your cruise line for transfers?  HAL uses a motorcoach in Anchorage

No, I haven't, because we are staying the night in Anchorage after the cruise drops us off in Seward (NCL). Is a hotel to airport transfer something cruise lines offer? I hadn't thought of that...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, psalm104 said:

Thank you for your insights. Very helpful. I am surprised there is a lack of options for airport transfers or shuttles.

Yes, we could split up into groups if we have to, so there is definitely that taxi option. I'd even be open to two smaller cars from a transport company, but I can't find any that offer that.

If we do end up having to do taxis, do you (or anyone else) have any experience with taxis in Anchorage? Are they generally reliable to show up on time? Any experience/advice/preferences?

Thanks, again!

No, I haven't, because we are staying the night in Anchorage after the cruise drops us off in Seward (NCL). Is a hotel to airport transfer something cruise lines offer? I hadn't thought of that...

If you buy the hotel through them then you get the transfer.  Last year because of weird fluctuations HAL was a bargain for hotels in Anchorage, YMMV

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, psalm104 said:

I am surprised there is a lack of options for airport transfers or shuttles.

The tourism market that supports these types of options is centered in downtown Anchorage. Your hotel is in midtown, which is much more oriented to local commerce than to tourism. Local commercial activity is very auto-centric (wide streets, huge intersections, relatively swift traffic, lots of parking lots) and devoid of much of interest beyond that which most cities possess. Use Google Maps street views and take a look at the car-filled roads and empty sidewalks in this area. The auto-centric culture of this community does not lend itself to a well-developed system of shared ride transport; the existence of Uber is a big plus. From a city planning perspective, it does not surprise me.

• Thanks 1