Wine confiscated in Galveston by RCCL

TWC

Galveston Feb. 9th Splendour...while we did not have any alcohol (we don't drink), we had a bottle of sparkling cider for formal night in my wife's carry-on. We had to open the bag and prove it was not alcohol in order to bring it aboard.

On another note, in reference to buying tequila in Cozumel...we were on the upper deck of the tender returning to the Splendour, when a man stood up to go down the stairs, as we were close to the ship. His plastic bag split open, and a bottle of tequila fell to the deck with a very loud "bang", which silenced everyone as they all wondered what made the noise. The bottle slid along a ways, and a lot of people saw it. Some woman, in a classic horror-movie scream/voice cried "Ahhhhhhhh, not the tequilaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!". At that moment, the man picked the bottle up, intact, and held it up for all to see. The whole tender cheered!

I bought 3 bottles of super-premium stuff at about a 45% average discount to US prices - so it was worthwhile -

that being said - the ONLY place with good prices was Cozumel - every other stop [Cayman, Costa Maya, Belize] was either the same or HIGHER price than I buy the stuff for at home. Example, in Costa Maya they wanted $220 for the Don Juilo 1942 - I can get that for $145 locally and $100 online. Another, in Costa Maya was Don Julio Anejo for $55, I paid $52.99 at home 2 weeks before I left. So, you need to look around.

I bought at first Gran Centennario Anejo for $40. El Jimador Anejo [a $100 bottle if you can find it in the states] $30, and AhaToro for $25 - the last is a new item and it has that old fashioned oily texture and taste that tequila USED to have, much like a bottle of Jose Cuervo Traditional - I got BACK off the boat right before we left and got TWO bottles of Don Julio 1942 750ml for $50 each - I went in, back to the guy I bought the other 3 bottles for and put 2 $50 bills on the table and pointed [this was a locals liquor store about 8 blocks inland off the main Avenida] to the 1942 -he looked at me, then the money and picked up the bottles and handed them to me - he had them on the shelf for 825 pesos or about $75ea. They were the really good 2002 vintage - so he'd had them a while. That is a $200US tequila you can only find in Los Angeles and perhaps Dallas. It has a wonderful oaky vanilla flavor and is unique to Don Julio.

Do they always let you know when they confiscate liquor? I had a large flask of gin go missing. It was in my checked luggage. I never heard what happened to it. Maybe TSA at the airport? Or RCCL at embarkation in San Pedro?
Anna, I am afraid that some baggage inspector had a VERY pleasant day, thanks to you. :mad:

Archived