Carnival Magic - few questions

wezie

24 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Waiting for the review too.   I've been on 3 NCL post-pandemic cruises, with capacity raging from "is anyone else on board" to "the elevator is full" but each one was wonderful.  Even the "quasi-crowded" one never had lines.

I'm going on the Magic in Sept...which generally draws a more mature (in age anyway) crowd and the kids will be back in school. I hope it isn't a mistake.

I was on the Magic a few weeks ago, out of Norfolk.  Yes, it was crowded, there were long lines  (OMG the pizza place at ALL times of the day), and it was hard to get a chair on the pool deck.  With that said, I have to be honest, it didn't seem any different than any other Carnival cruise (Or RC for that matter) I've been on, even pre-pandemic.

Also with that said, I did not love the ship, it just wasn't my favorite.  It could use a little work on maintenance but I wouldn't call it rundown or anything, but I just didn't love the layout either.  I much preferred the Glory, a much older ship, or the Horizon, a much newer ship.  Just didn't think that middle ship had anything special for me.  

To note, this was right about the edge of summer break - SO MANY KIDS.  (I'll say it, I don't love kids.) 

For what it's worth, I think the crew did an amazing job in all aspects.  Just don't think I'd sail the ship again, other than I'm really close to Norfolk.  And even then, it would have to be a really great deal.  And even then, I'd have to really consider it.

3 hours ago, spsarrocco said:

Also with that said, I did not love the ship, it just wasn't my favorite.  It could use a little work on maintenance but I wouldn't call it rundown or anything, but I just didn't love the layout either.  I much preferred the Glory, a much older ship, or the Horizon, a much newer ship.  Just didn't think that middle ship had anything special for me.  

You would not call it "run down"? There was rust everywhere. The railings were showing bare wood with no varnish, and the seats in the MDR were cracked and ripped. I had a picture off the wall in our room, a broken light, a hinge that caused an injury to my son (broken), and a balcony door that would not work due to a bent piece of metal on the handle. Not sure what you call run down, but I've seen Holland America ships near 20 years old and Princess ships near 20 years old (both owned by Carnival corp) that are in WAY better shape. 

Sorry, but you may not have seen these things. We certainly did. Here is a picture attached of the MDR seats on the Carnival Magic.

dining-seats.jpeg

I'm REALLY starting to reconsider my cruise on August 15 (7 Day Bermuda) aboard this vessel. Long lines, dilapidated vessel (from what I'm reading and seeing here), brawls on board. The ship is definitely at capacity as I did a mock booking a couple days ago and suites, balcony and Oceanview rooms are sold out and interior cabins for the week were going for astronomical rates. I sailed on an "empty" Horizon twice since restart, Sunshine on Christmas that backed up a broken down Horizon and it was only 70% capacity and an over capacity Mardi Gras in March. I am patient but the lines and staffing shortages made the Mardi Gras experience a challenge (not to mention the small ocean suites). 

The Magic Brawl threads are gone but the message that the ship was busting at the seams remains. Plus I'm a polite Southerner and all the comments of rude TriState passengers is a turn off (I did cruise Horizon when she was brand new and first arrived in the states on it's brief stay in New York a few years back and don't really remember people being that unfriendly but I was busy keeping up with my 7 year old niece who I took on that trip by myself.

I have been looking forward to going to New York for the weekend prior to the cruise. I have theater tickets the day prior and enjoy good shopping and dining.  However, a free suite , Drinks Everywhere and $1000 in Fun Play don't seem that worth the hassle the last couple days.

I guess I could just fly up for weekend and come back on an flight early in the week (that just crossed my mind) and ditch the cruise... I think I may have just talked myself into a long weekend in the City and bailing on cruise. Thanks Cruise Critic!

3 hours ago, WKUTopperFan said:

I'm REALLY starting to reconsider my cruise on August 15 (7 Day Bermuda) aboard this vessel. Long lines, dilapidated vessel (from what I'm reading and seeing here), brawls on board. The ship is definitely at capacity as I did a mock booking a couple days ago and suites, balcony and Oceanview rooms are sold out and interior cabins for the week were going for astronomical rates. I sailed on an "empty" Horizon twice since restart, Sunshine on Christmas that backed up a broken down Horizon and it was only 70% capacity and an over capacity Mardi Gras in March. I am patient but the lines and staffing shortages made the Mardi Gras experience a challenge (not to mention the small ocean suites). 

The Magic Brawl threads are gone but the message that the ship was busting at the seams remains. Plus I'm a polite Southerner and all the comments of rude TriState passengers is a turn off (I did cruise Horizon when she was brand new and first arrived in the states on it's brief stay in New York a few years back and don't really remember people being that unfriendly but I was busy keeping up with my 7 year old niece who I took on that trip by myself.

I have been looking forward to going to New York for the weekend prior to the cruise. I have theater tickets the day prior and enjoy good shopping and dining.  However, a free suite , Drinks Everywhere and $1000 in Fun Play don't seem that worth the hassle the last couple days.

I guess I could just fly up for weekend and come back on an flight early in the week (that just crossed my mind) and ditch the cruise... I think I may have just talked myself into a long weekend in the City and bailing on cruise. Thanks Cruise Critic!

We are on the same sailing as you. I am second guessing as well. Our last cruise was on Horizon in a Havana cabana soon as things started back up. To say it spoiled us would be an understatement. However we are doing a family cruise with our son, my father and wife's mother. I think we booked at a pretty good rate. $1570 for the three of us in a balcony. It is what it is at this point and will make the best of it. We have cruised out of NY 3 times and I cant say that crowd has really been any different then anywhere else. 

20 hours ago, tap_out said:

We are on the same sailing as you. I am second guessing as well. Our last cruise was on Horizon in a Havana cabana soon as things started back up. To say it spoiled us would be an understatement. However we are doing a family cruise with our son, my father and wife's mother. I think we booked at a pretty good rate. $1570 for the three of us in a balcony. It is what it is at this point and will make the best of it. We have cruised out of NY 3 times and I cant say that crowd has really been any different then anywhere else. 

We definitely have decisions to make. My mother has never been to Bermuda and that's the only reason I consider still sailing... she's always wanted to go there. This cruise  was one of her Christmas gifts.  She wants to go there. But hiding out in the suite for 3 cruise days isn't my idea of a good time. 

If either of us go, hopefully it will be better by August. 

On 6/29/2022 at 4:12 PM, kodiac said:

So we just got off the Magic yesterday. Muster drill - a breeze. Go up to the check-in point without your life jacket. Scan in, listen to a few minute drill and you're on the way. 

Was the ship full? YES! Lines like crazy and people everywhere. A huge communication issue on the ship itself with staff members, officers, and other employees. I honestly have to say I've not seen anything like this in all the cruising that we've done. There are many other things that need repair and fixing, but I don't want to post off topic here - that is for my review which I will post later.

I really, really hope they sort things out (for future passengers). After our cruise on the Magic, we will very likely not board this ship again. We really are thinking about not booking another Carnival cruise ever due to this sailing. As you can see, we've been on quite a few. 

Just checking to see if you have posted your review yet? I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip.  We sail on the Magic August 3rd

• Like 1

If you are going to notice little things like varnish peeling off banisters and it will ruin your vacation, you’re probably going to be disappointed with most ships. Nothing is perfect. You get out of it what you want. We were on the Magic 6/20-6/28 and had a great time. Loved the ship layout, especially the atrium with glass elevators that goes way up. Loved sitting on the Lenai, where there were relatively fewer people and lots of sitting spots and hut tub space. Also easy access to Red Frog and Pig and Anchor. We mitigated crowds by going to dining and shows early, when able.  Would sail again on her in a heartbeat. 

With that said, there were ridiculously long lines at guest services for the first several days. Not sure why, but we deferred going there for anything until late in the cruise, when it was not busy. 

Edited by crooooze
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, crooooze said:

If you are going to notice little things like varnish peeling off banisters and it will ruin your vacation, you’re probably going to be disappointed with most ships. Nothing is perfect. You get out of it what you want. We were on the Magic 6/20-6/28 and had a great time. Loved the ship layout, especially the atrium with glass elevators that goes way up. Loved sitting on the Lenai, where there were relatively fewer people and lots of sitting spots and hut tub space. Also easy access to Red Frog and Pig and Anchor. We mitigated crowds by going to dining and shows early, when able.  Would sail again on her in a heartbeat. 

With that said, there were ridiculously long lines at guest services for the first several days. Not sure why, but we deferred going there for anything until late in the cruise, when it was not busy. 

It's funny how many people complain but keep coming back!  Guess when I sail the Magic I might have the ship to myself!! But I need the drunks as my comedy show. When you are an UPPERDY person you expect things to go your way! Buy your own ship!!

• Like 1