Joy aft balconies. What size?

ChiefMateJRK

We may have a chance to upgrade from a regular balcony to an aft balcony on an upcoming Joy sailing.  I have searched and googled and can't find a good source for information regarding balcony size differences.  I might pay the difference to get a larger balcony with lounge chairs.  If it's basically the same size as what we have, I'll pass (unless it is really cheap).  The aft balconies that are still available are all the smaller room configurations (i.e. none of those huge corner rooms).  NCL's website provides no useful information.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

The aft balconies that are still available are all the smaller room configurations (i.e. none of those huge corner rooms).

The corner aft-facing staterooms are Haven suites. 

If you're asking about the aft-facing B1s, the only stateroom configurations are bed near balcony and bed near closet. 

Balcony depth differs by deck. The size order from deepest to least deep is 9, 12, 15, 14, 11, 10, 13. There are also differences in balcony width. The most narrow on each deck other than deck 10 is the balcony directly to the port side of the wheelchair accessible B1. Deck 10 is different as it has 2 wheelchair accessible Club Balcony staterooms instead of 1 wheelchair accessible B1. In that case, the port side M6 has the more narrow balcony. 

Feel free to ask any questions. 

35 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are the (B1?) aft balconies typically deeper than a normal BA balcony?  Is it a meaningful difference?

As long as it is not aft-facing deck 13, I would call the difference significant. I used Escape but Escape/Joy/Bliss/Encore are the same sizes for balcony depth/width (slightly different stateroom numbers, though). 

^^ Deck 9 (deepest)

^^ Deck 13 (least deep)

Everything else is between those 2 extremes for depth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

As long as it is not aft-facing deck 13, I would call the difference significant. I used Escape but Escape/Joy/Bliss/Encore are the same sizes for balcony depth/width (slightly different stateroom numbers, though). 

^^ Deck 9 (deepest)

^^ Deck 13 (least deep)

Thanks!!  What a huge difference.  We're looking at 15270 and/or 15272.  Do you have any specifics on those?

34 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

We're looking at 15270 and/or 15272.  Do you have any specifics on those?

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that this is deck 15 (Escape)...

99204-1473346387.webp

...and if it is, the depth and configuration would match Joy 15272 (most narrow deck 15 aft-facing balcony). 

15270 would be bed near balcony. Between those 2, I would take 15270 because of the bed location and balcony width. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2022 at 7:00 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

^^ Deck 9 (deepest)

^^ Deck 13 (least deep)

Would you say Getaway would be similar?  We just booked an aft cabin (13904) and I was excited - but it looks like it's nearly equal to a standard size balcony?    

Edited by TenForward

20 minutes ago, TenForward said:

Would you say Getaway would be similar?  We just booked an aft cabin (13904) and I was excited - but it looks like it's nearly equal to a standard size balcony?    

^^ 13904 BA/GA

For BA/GA as well as Escape/Joy/Bliss/Encore, deck 13 has the least deep aft-facing balcony. 

For BA/GA, the difference between the deepest (deck 9) and the least deep (deck 13) is more significant than the difference between the deepest (deck 9) and the least deep (deck 13) for Escape/Joy/Bliss/Encore. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

14 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

^^ 13904 BA/GA

For BA/GA as well as Escape/Joy/Bliss/Encore, deck 13 has the least deep aft-facing balcony. 

For BA/GA, the difference between the deepest (deck 9) and the least deep (deck 13) is more significant than the difference between the deepest (deck 9) and the least deep (deck 13) for Escape/Joy/Bliss/Encore. 

Thank you for this.  Will call my PCC tomorrow!  

7 hours ago, TenForward said:

Pics from Getaway 13904 (November 2019):

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1