Anyone booked a private tour in Ponta Delgada, Azores?

Hi Everyone,

I so hate to book the ship's excursions. Has anyone done anything with a private guide in Ponta Delgada? I'm having so much difficulty locating any options for tours on the internet. We'll be there in May as this is our first stop on our Transatlantic from Miami to Barcelona.

Any help or info would be appreaciated!

Thanks,

Michele

My Family travels to the Azores every 4 years(we have family there) and we fly in/out of Ponta Delgada. We'll be there this July in fact. Each time we have taken a taxi for our tours. My recommendation is to use a taxi. Tell the driver what you would like to see or do. You could also tell him how many hours you have available and use his discretion. Agree on a price beforehand. My experience with taxis here has been very good! I could give you more specifics, if you like, of places to visit there if you tell me how many hours you have. Is is such a beautiful island, truly the most beautiful place I have ever visited! There is cruisecritic member who lives on the island and has an excellent write-up of Ponta Delgada and the entire island of Sao Miguel. It is somewhere on this board if you search for it.

Hi and thanks for responding! We'll be there on a Saturday from 10:00 AM until 6:00 PM. We've heard that the island is so beautiful. What would you recommend as the "do not miss" places and if you could recommend a restaurant that you frequent when you go that we could do lunch at, that would be so helpful.

I did find that other thread and it had a lot of great information!

Thanks in advance!

Michele :)

If you want to take a wonderful drive, then head toward the "Nordeste" and see the appx. 20 ocean landscaped overlooks , each is called a Mirador. They each have a groundskeeper that takes care of "his" overlook and each is unique and extremely beautiful. The one I like the best has a watermill and beautiful waterfall. This area would really be the destination spot with the amount of time you have.

You probably have enough time to start your day at the top overlook of "Sete Cidades" just outside of Ponta Delgada. Then head to the pineapple plantation. Then travel to Ribeira Grande or Furnas on the way to the Nordeste. You may want to quickly visit the Logoa das Furnas where people cook their food in the holes, which are heated by the volcanic earth. Pretty neat! Then your on your way to Nordeste. We ate at a restaurant in the Nordeste ( sorry, don't know the name) which was after the last Mirador and overlooks the ocean. I would bet the taxi driver would know it because there weren't many restaurants there. This would probably now take you to 2-3PM, a good time to eat. When done, head back to the port and if you have any time leftover, even 30 minutes, stroll along the coastal road in Ponta Delgada which is at the port anyway. It is such a beautiful city, possibly unlike anywhere you have ever been.

A final note...be sure to ask the driver if there is enough time to fit all of this in. I don't know what it would cost, just say this is what you would like to see and you could subtract something from your itinerary if it seems too costly. At least get out to see the Nordeste, rated one of the most beautiful and scenic drives in all of Europe!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

With 3-4 hours, I'd visit the pineapple grove just north of Ponta Delgada (1 hour visit including taxi ride). It is a nice place if you have never seen one where they grow pineapples at the different stages and you can buy some in the store right there... Then go see the overlook of Sete Cidades(seven cities, in Portuguese) and then go down to drive through the sete cidades up-close. I admit I have not gone down but have friends that say it is extremely picturesque. This could take 2-3 hours total including the taxi ride. [i will be there in July and will rent a car and do it on my own for the first time.] If it takes less time, quickly visit Ribeira Grande on the north of the island, not very far, though. If not enough time to visit Ribeira Grande, a little closer is the tea plantation just east of Ponta Delgada. Maybe this would fit easier for your desired time-frame.

A couple of side notes; there is a famous and beautiful statue of Jesus in the convent in Ponta Delgada. It has been attributed to miraculous healings for many, many years according to the Azoreans. It is aptly called "Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres". It is across the street from the fort, next to the harbor/dock . Just in front of the convent is a tree lined square.

Walking along the coast-line to the city center is very beautiful!! Walk up the side streets and you can admire the architecture and the hustle and bustle of the people. Be careful with the sidewalks on the side streets. They are only about 2 feet wide at most and the cars pass quite quickly!!

I hope this helps.

One more thing...If you like gold jewelry, lots of shops sell 24kt Portuguese Gold which is very beautiful (and is legitimately 24kt stamped!).

Archived