Crown Bay to Red Hook

seabum

Hey Everyone,

I've just found out we will be docking in Crown Bay next week.

Does anyone know the drive time over to Red Hook.

We are supposed to go sailing with some friends while in port - but with the longer drive I'm concerned with missing the ship.

THanks,

We will be in St. Thomas w/ 6 ships . We will be at CB at 8am on the Zuiderdam, the Noordam is also at CB and arrives at 7am. We want to go to St. John. 2 years ago when we were at CB the taxi drivers didn't want to go to Red Hook. They just wanted the short jaunt to Charlotte Amalie. The driver after being rude just dropped us at Charlotte Amalie. Any hints on how to handle this. Thanks

Hello,

Crown Bay to Red Hook - 30-35 minutes in low/medium traffic.

Lg_rover, If they refuse, ask for their taxi id number and name... so you can file a complaint. The VI Taxicab Division regulations state that "Taxi operators with On-duty sign on shall not refuse a passenger, unless the passenger is intoxicated and disorderly or in possession of a pet or animal." It also states "All passengers must be discharged at their precise requested locations when fare is accepted and agreed to."

--Islander

http://www.*****

As a practical matter, if you run into that problem, it is no big deal to take a taxi into Charlotte Amalie and then catch a different taxi to Red Hook. It might add 5 min to the trip to make the switch, but that is exactly what happened to us in Nov 04.

Don't know how much of an issue it would be to get a taxi FROM red hook to CB, as when we were there we had the red hook taxi take us to a restaurant in CA for dinner and then caught a different taxi back to the ship.

Thanks Islander and Michmike. I know I can take different taxis, 2 years ago

it was a real hassle. He was rude and obvious that he didn't want to go there. He even pulled up by the waterfront CA and ran over and talked to another cab driver parked. Then told us to go to him he would take us, he lied and left. We wasted so much time that we decided we didn't have time any longer bwtween the cab ride to and from red hook, ferry. If it happens again I will ask for badge name and #. Islander, what will it be like w/ 6 ships. We are on the Zuiderdam arriving @ 8am. The brand new Noordam will be docked w/ us at CB arriving @ 7am. Are we crazy to try and get to St. John, between traffic and full ferrys. Last year we went to Megans Bay it was beautiful, Saphire the year before. Have been to Morningstar also figured it was time to go back to St. John. Which beach is best Cinnamon or Caneel. I asked you about going to the Westin on vinow. Can we go to Caneel and have a drink and swim, sun. Or is Cinnamon better. Thanks you are the best!

Hello lg rover,

6 ships, downtown will be very busy and so will the popular beaches like Magens Bay & Coki Beach. I don't think its crazy to try and get to St. John, don't wait until the last possiable ferry you can take to return on, take at least the one prior to that so you have some extra time to get back.

Cinnamon and Caneel Bay are both beautiful beaches. If you are interested in doing a little hiking in addition to the beach you can go to Cinnamon Bay - there is a self guided hiking trail right accross from the beach entrance and there are sugar plantation ruins. There are signs that you can follow and read about the buildings, some of the flora etc.

--Islander

http://www.*****

we will also be in st thomas with 6 ships but we will have to tender. Does anyone know where the ship anchors and how long the tender ride is?

I'm hoping they won't cut our day short because we will have to leave first.

The Sun Princess has had its share of missed ports over the past month.

Archived