Cruise departure time / late flight

Hi,
We are due to embark on the Explorer next Friday 8th July where we are due to depart from Corfu at 11pm. If our flight is on time, I reckon its about 10pm before we get to the port. However, the outbound flight from Edinburgh to Corfu has been continually late for the last few weeks, where today its almost 4 hours late in departing.
How long does the boat wait for the late arrivals before setting sail?
If it does wait, what are the chances of getting anything to eat post 1.30 -2am?
Has anyone had a similar experience of late arrival due to a delayed flight?

I have been on cruises with delayed departures due to late flights a few times. In most cases they have a day at sea to make up lost time.

I had a delayed flight on a Canaries cruise. So late they put us up in a hotel near Gatwick and we flew the next day on an airline I had not heard of. In this case there was an airport at the next island and they also island hopped to our original destination for the hotel bound passengers.

• Like 1

My Explorer cruise in November, 14 nights to the Canaries, could be interesting. There are 2 choices of flight, Gran Canary or Tenerife. I chose Tenerife because it gives a full day in Gran Canary in the middle of the cruise and IMO is a better port if you have done all the excursions. In Gran Canary a short walk through the town gets you to the long beach and promenade.

What happens if my plane is cancelled? The next day is a sea day then Funchal. So you lose 2 nights of your cruise if they can't get a slot in Madeira.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:25 PM, davecttr said:

I have been on cruises with delayed departures due to late flights a few times. In most cases they have a day at sea to make up lost time.

I had a delayed flight on a Canaries cruise. So late they put us up in a hotel near Gatwick and we flew the next day on an airline I had not heard of. In this case there was an airport at the next island and they also island hopped to our original destination for the hotel bound passengers.

That’s really good service - did it disrupt the cruise schedule at all ?
Really impressed.

I had assumed that they would just give up on you in this case and offer a refund.

In this case all the flight passengers were either going on a Marella cruise or staying in a TUI hotel. just cancelling the holiday would not solve the problem of bringing home those who had just finished the holidays. You can't say to them no flight so you have to stay another week so they have to fly a plane out there anyway. Most Marella 14 night cruises are made up of 2 different itineraries with the same departure port or you can get a hotel/cruise or cruise/hotel combination. It can get complicated.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GreigAlyson said:

Many thanks for your replies, I am a lot more at ease now knowing / expecting the boat to wait until we get there. Just got the covid tests to go now!  😷

Yes me too - one less thing to worry about !