Rules re: Teens Own Cabin

suzie9499

We are traveling with our teen sons (17 and 15) on Navigator of the Seas. Currently, we have 2 cabins with the plan being that the boys will stay in one and us in the other. I thought I read that there were rules stating that one person must be at least 21 in each cabin. Is this true? If so how do others work this out?

This is true, you must have someone booked in the suite 21 or older. However, that's for booking...
Not totally true. If you book children in an adjacent room (from everything I've read here on CC) then it's waived. It was for my kids cabin on Celebrity.

Are kids under 21 allowed to be booked in a connecting cabin to the parents?

~Connie

Yes, though not even connecting - just adjacent, which includes across the hall.

That is to say, at least on RCCL, kids can be booked into a cabin with no adult booked in the cabin as long as it is adjacent to their parents.

Thanks for your help. Our rooms are on the same hall but not directly across from each other. The funny thing is that if it is a rule- somehow on our paperwork it has the boys only listed for the reservations for the 2nd room. Hope this doesnt pose any problems later. :confused:

Yes, though not even connecting - just adjacent, which includes across the hall.

That is to say, at least on RCCL, kids can be booked into a cabin with no adult booked in the cabin as long as it is adjacent to their parents.

Last cruise on RCCL's Explorer the kids were across the hall alone BUT I had to book 1 child with me and the other 2 with DH. They would not allow the kids to be booked without an adult in the cabin.

Last cruise on RCCL's Explorer the kids were across the hall alone BUT I had to book 1 child with me and the other 2 with DH. They would not allow the kids to be booked without an adult in the cabin.

Don't you just HATE inconsistent policies???

My one experience with it, I had no problem booking kids across the hall with no adult in the cabin. RCCL's own web site even specifically states adult in the same or adjacent cabin.

I have, though, heard of others also having a problem booking that way. I book direct through RCCL, don't know about others. I've also heard of people having to argue the point to be able to book it this way.

Of course, the other side of the equation is -- as long as there are enough adults to get it booked, it won't matter for most people.

We usually book one adult in each cabin just to take advantage of Crown & Anchor coupons or past guest rates. Can save money on both cabins then since kids aren't members.

Also works great as we own stock jointly, so can get the $100 shipboard credit for each of the two cabins since we have one of us listed in each.

Once we're on board, it's no problem to get different keys.

Thanks for all the info so far. Now more questions. We had to switch the reservation names so that one adult is registered in each room now. SOmehow the guy that booked us had one of my son's birthdays wrong...as 1924 (lol) So how does it work to switch keys once onboard? I wont have to give one of my sons one of our cards will I? And will RC allow us to have keys to the room that they are in, too? It is MUCH more complicated to travel with the kids IMO.

everytime ive cruised, twice on princess, once on RCCL, ive always heard that rule, but its never applied to my family. I was 16 the first time we cruised, and was in a cabin with my sister and her friend...2nd time, just the two of us all alone. and this year, when i was 18, 3 of us again, and this time, a ways away from my parents! every time were never right next to them, but on the same side of the ship, on the same floor. and its always been booked the way it works out, weve never changed room keys or anything

hope it helps

If you don't get your question answered here, try the RCCL board. Cruise lines have their own rules (and even then, they aren't very consistent). On the Carnival Conquest, we were able to book our 15 and 17 year old boys in the cabin next to ours, but were not able to get extra keys (it would have been nice to have access to their room, and you would think the cruise line would welcome this!). Anyway, as far as rules, be sure you give them a curfew and either check in on them by calling their room or actually stopping by. Our ship was so big we usually just saw them at dinner! Of course, we went on shore excursions together. I don't know how it is on RCCL, but on Carnival, teens can get off the ship by themselves and some parents have had a "surprise" finding out their teen went on shore when they were supposed to stay on the ship (the family split up on shore days).

Have fun!

RCI is inconsistent with how they handle this. Last year on Mariner, we were able to book DH and myself in a balcony, and the kids (12 and 16) in a promenade room across the hall. For this year, though, when we booked Serenade, 2 side-by-side JS, they made us book one adult and one kid per cabin. I told them that last year, they let us book the kids on their own. Didn't matter. Go figure!

Thanks for all the info so far. Now more questions. We had to switch the reservation names so that one adult is registered in each room now. SOmehow the guy that booked us had one of my son's birthdays wrong...as 1924 (lol) So how does it work to switch keys once onboard? I wont have to give one of my sons one of our cards will I? And will RC allow us to have keys to the room that they are in, too? It is MUCH more complicated to travel with the kids IMO.

We went to guest services onboard and asked for duplicate card keys for each room. They even say "duplicate" on them. They have no charging privledges and just open the doors. The only downside (really no big deal) was that dh and dd had to carry 2 keys. :rolleyes: (We made sure our oldest dd had the extra key.)

It's really no problem. btw, this was on RCCL's explorer a few months ago.

~Connie

• 1 month later...

:confused: Hi I am looking for a cruise for a family for next year! DH & DW with 21,19,13 year old. Looking for a cruise where they charge $99.00 for 3rd and 4th passenger? Does anyone know where I can find one of these cruises? Anyone know?

:D

My family is booked on a cruise and there are 14 of us. Me and my sister are supposed to share a room, she is 18 and i am 16 and they wouldnt allow it. My grandma, who did all the booking, had to put a parent with each of us. So it shows that i am supposed to be with my mother and my sister with my father, but when we actually get on the cruise we are just going to switch luggage so me and my sister are together. Our room is right across the hall from them but it didnt even matter. Maybe you should try saying that you will be with one and then whoeer your with is with your other son, but then just switch rooms when you get on board.

I guess we were lucky--We booked adjoining rooms on Monarch and had me and hubby in 1 and 5yo and 13yo in the other--didn't say boo!! maybe because they were adjoining?? Their ages and birthdates are right on the reservation and the TA got the OK from RCCL.

AZ Redneck, for kids as old as yours, there's no such thing as a $99 fare for third and fourth passengers. They will pay the full third person fare plus port taxes. Those super low $99 fares generally apply to infants and toddlers and not older kids.

Archived