Public Bus to the Beaches

PokerFaceNJ

Hi all...

Going on our 4th cruise to Bermuda in about a week and we want to stray from the typical Horseshoe Bay and Turtle Bay beach stops.  Was thinking of Warwick Bay and Jobson's Cove or Blue Hole Park, but must admit that I find using another country's public transportation system to be very intimidating.  Any suggestions for a one day pass?  What beach would you go to and what route would you take?

26 minutes ago, PokerFaceNJ said:

Hi all...

Going on our 4th cruise to Bermuda in about a week and we want to stray from the typical Horseshoe Bay and Turtle Bay beach stops.  Was thinking of Warwick Bay and Jobson's Cove or Blue Hole Park, but must admit that I find using another country's public transportation system to be very intimidating.  Any suggestions for a one day pass?  What beach would you go to and what route would you take?

Warwick Long  Bay and Jobson's Cove are adjacent to each other on the South Shore.  You can get from one to the other via a walking trail. You can take the #7 bus there. Frankly I used to take the public buses everywhere but I'm reluctant to recommend them any longer because service has been so unreliable for the past few years. Other than reliability concerns there's nothing unusual or intimidating about using buses in Bermuda. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "suggestions for a one day pass". There is only one public transit one day pass, which can be used on both the ferries and buses. It costs $19 per person. A two day pass is $31.50 pp. If you're just taking the bus from your ship to the beach and back then rather than buying the pass just buy 2 tokens at $4.50 each. That way you're only spending $9 per person for the day. If you want to do more bus or ferry rides than that then the pass may be worthwhile.

Warwick Long Bay is the longest uninterrupted stretch of beach in Bermuda, while Jobson's Cove is  small secluded beach surrounded by rocks. There may be a port-a-potty or small bathroom at Warwick...I don't recall exactly, but there's no concession stand or other facilities although a food truck might visit there in season. There are no facilities at Jobson's Cove.

I've never been to Blue Hole Park . It's at the other end of Bermuda. There may be some type of restroom, but no other facilities there. Assuming your ship will be at the Dockyard it requires a combination of ferry and bus...either ferry to St. George and then a #1,3,10 or 11 bus, or ferry to Hamilton and then a #1,3,10 or 11 bus. You could also take the #7 or 8 bus to Hamilton and then the #1,3,10 or 11. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Warwick Long Bay is the longest uninterrupted stretch of beach in Bermuda, while Jobson's Cove is  small secluded beach surrounded by rocks. There may be a port-a-potty or small bathroom at Warwick...I don't recall exactly, but there's no concession stand or other facilities although a food truck might visit there in season.

I will add to your good summery that it has been  reported that someone is doing a small concession lately at Warwick sometimes. I would I go not expecting it but if they are set up being pleasantly surprised. One thing I don't like about Warwick is the deep drop off, In found it hard getting out when there was heavy surf  but since Jobson's is close by people can easily move there. A short walk. It is actually not far to walk to Horseshoe. I often start at Warwick and walk the mile or so to end up at Horseshoe. 

Blue Hole has no facilities. It is not really a beach but here might be a small beach area.. There are caves and a lagoon you are not supposed to swim in but people do anyway. Jumping in is a thing. It is pretty much at  the same bus stop as Crystal Caves, Swizzle inn. It was a very  long time ago (about 15 years) that I was there so my memory is a little hazy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PokerFaceNJ said:

Hi all...

Have you been to Tobacco Bay? Another beach that has not been mentioned that I like is John Smith's Bay.  There are lifeguards there and a porta potty. Maybe Thursday, Friday, Saturday there is a food truck. The buses are not difficult to figure out but as has been mentioned they have become unreliable so  I  have become a taxi user as I don't need to be a budget traveler  but when I took the buses I found that the pass may have been convienant I spent lees using single tokens. If you decide to go to Warwick Long Bay the drivers of the $7 minibus shuttles to Horseshoe might drop you off there for $8. That is how i got to Warwick in 2019. 

Oh, and bring water........LOL

Edited by Charles4515

18 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Have you been to Tobacco Bay? Another beach that has not been mentioned that I like is John Smith's Bay.  There are lifeguards there and a porta potty. Maybe Thursday, Friday, Saturday there is a food truck. The buses are not difficult to figure out but as has been mentioned they have become unreliable so  I  have become a taxi user as I don't need to be a budget traveler  but when I took the buses I found that the pass may have been convienant I spent lees using single tokens. If you decide to go to Warwick Long Bay the drivers of the $7 minibus shuttles to Horseshoe might drop you off there for $8. That is how i got to Warwick in 2019. 

I was just coming on to ask about John Smith's Bay when I found this in my search. So thanks for the timely post!   We originally were thinking of going to Clearwater after a visit to Crystal Caves but someone in our group (fairly) recently had leg surgery so that walk is not appealing.  Glad to know JSB has lifeguards and at least some facilities.  We are headed out later this month. Will do a bit more research before deciding. 

Edit:  Can you tell me what the water tends to be like there?  Is it fairly calm?  Thanks.

Edited by TenForward

1 hour ago, TenForward said:

I was just coming on to ask about John Smith's Bay when I found this in my search. So thanks for the timely post!   We originally were thinking of going to Clearwater after a visit to Crystal Caves but someone in our group (fairly) recently had leg surgery so that walk is not appealing.  Glad to know JSB has lifeguards and at least some facilities.  We are headed out later this month. Will do a bit more research before deciding. 

Edit:  Can you tell me what the water tends to be like there?  Is it fairly calm?  Thanks.

What walk at Clearwater? The best beaches on the east end  of Bermuda for someone with mobility issues would be Clearwater or Tobacco Bay. Tobacco has no surf and Clearwater has minimal surf. Both have chair rentals, John Smiths does not have chairs. There can be some surf. It is on the south shore. 

Crystal Caves is about 88 somewhat steep steps down and up so the person who had leg surgery might not want to do that. There is a nice outside waiting area. They could wait there the 20 minutes the rest of the group goes in the cave. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

What walk at Clearwater?

I understand that taxi's can't take you to the beach itself and drop you about 25 minutes away at the Cooper's Island entrance... is that incorrect?   Then we'd have to do it again to return to port.  I do hope I'm wrong.  We've done Tobacco Bay twice and are hoping to try something new. 

18 minutes ago, TenForward said:

I understand that taxi's can't take you to the beach itself and drop you about 25 minutes away at the Cooper's Island entrance... is that incorrect?   Then we'd have to do it again to return to port.  I do hope I'm wrong.  We've done Tobacco Bay twice and are hoping to try something new. 

You have it reversed. The taxi's drop off right at Clearwater Beach or next door at Turtle Bay. Facilities  and Food Truck at Clearwater. The entrance to Coopers Reserve a little past Turtle Bay not before Clearwater.  Inside the reserve iare several secluded beaches maybe a 10 minute . That is optional. You can stay at Clearwater Beach where you are dropped off by a taxi without walking anywhere. I would advise asking the taxi to return at a set time. Taxis don't hang out there. If a taxi does not show ask the peeps at the concession for assistance. The old concession was helpful and I expect the new one will be too.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You have it reversed. The taxi's drop off right at Clearwater Beach or next door at Turtle Bay. Facilities are and Food Truck at Claerwater. The entrance to Coopers Reserve a little past Turtle Bay not before Clearwater.  Inside the reserve iare several seclided beaches. That is optional. You can stay at Clearwater without walking anywhere.

Oh wow, so glad I asked.  I somehow missed that part in the review I'd been reading. We will keep our original plans to head there. Thank you Charles.