PCR-naat or PCR rapid

We are sailing with our non-vaccinated 9 year old twins and not sure which test is accepted. I’ve read conflicting information. The Pcr- naat test takes a day or 2 to get results while the Pcr rapid is quick. I asked a rep from RCCL today and he didn’t know. 

The PCR NAAT test our under age 5 grandson took at an urgent care facility 3 days prior to cruising we got the results is less than 1/2 hour then he additionally had to have a PCR Rapid Antigen at the cruise terminal and then another PCR administered onboard one day prior to the end of our cruise. This was for our Eastern Caribbean cruise on RCI. this past April. This apply's to under age 12 that is unvaccinated.

The rapid PCR should be fine. The ones we do at the hospital are just as accurate as the one that takes longer. It is a PCR test. The biggest difference will be cost. The rapid PCR tests cost more to run. If you are being charged, you will likely see a difference.

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

The PCR NAAT test our under age 5 grandson took at an urgent care facility 3 days prior to cruising we got the results is less than 1/2 hour then he additionally had to have a PCR Rapid Antigen at the cruise terminal and then another PCR administered onboard one day prior to the end of our cruise. This was for our Eastern Caribbean cruise on RCI. this past April. This apply's to under age 12 that is unvaccinated.

Not that it matters in a practical way since you can’t pick the type at the port, but fyi the test at the port is an antigen test.  it is not a PCR test.   These are two different things.  I’m also pretty certain it is an antigen test onboard later in the cruise.  Can’t say that 100%, but I’m quite certain it is antigen.  

If cost isn’t a consideration I would just do the rapid PCR test 3 days out to get the results quickly.  My understanding is that NAAT or PCR are acceptable for kids.  We did regular PCR for our kids. Results were to us the next day even though it said 2 days. This is consistent with prior tests we’ve done where we live.  

Edited by topnole

1 hour ago, topnole said:

Not that it matters in a practical way since you can’t pick the type at the port, but fyi the test at the port is an antigen test.  it is not a PCR test.   These are two different things.  I’m also pretty certain it is an antigen test onboard later in the cruise.  Can’t say that 100%, but I’m quite certain it is antigen.  

If cost isn’t a consideration I would just do the rapid PCR test 3 days out to get the results quickly.  My understanding is that NAAT or PCR are acceptable for kids.  We did regular PCR for our kids. Results were to us the next day even though it said 2 days. This is consistent with prior tests we’ve done where we live.  

Yes...I'll agree at the terminal and onboard it was probably the antigen test...but it made no difference to us...as long as he tested negative. The NAAT was certainly acceptable and we (his mom) was able to print out results in less than 1/2 hour and take the hard copy with us to show at the terminal.

He turned 5 on our last cruise day and so has had his first shot and will be getting his 2nd one in about a week so we won't have to worry about that for his next cruise in September. Big brother who is 9 was fully vaccinated for our last cruise.