Just returned from the Elation. Can I be of any assistance?

rez1

Hello,

I will be writing a detailed review fairly soon, but thought answering specific questions would be helpful. Dont hesitate to bombard me. As much help as I have received from this board, I feel obligated to answer everyones questions, now that I have returned from our cruise.

She's a Beaut, isn't she ?

Have sailed newer and larger ships like the GLORY and PRIDE and I must concede, even though the Fantasy-class is smaller and older, I loved the ELATION ! icon_smile.gif

Just a great layout of the decks and public places.

Live well, love much, laugh often.

Gary icon_cool.gif

Dolphins.gif

We fell in love with her! DW and I were discussing that we don't really need to get on the larger Spirit class ships, as this was enough for us. The ship, the staff, everything was just wonderful.

Rez,

Did you have any kids with you? I was specifically wondering about camp carnival activites for pre-teens, age 12 and up? we sail on June 20. Can't wait! What excursions did you do? Where was your room?

Hi,

Hope you had a great time. The past reviews sound so good that I feel we made a good choice.

We leave on Sunday (FOUR MORE DAYS) for our first ever cruise on the Elation so will wait with baited breath to hear everything. As you say,there is so much info' on this board that I can't imagine what I would have done if I hadn't discovered it. Definitely clueless. Everyone is so great responding to questions.

Did you find the ship to be very cold? That does worry me because I freeze when it is 80 degrees (I have a heater going under my desk at the moment because of the air conditioning in the office). I will take sweaters obviously but it does spoil things when everything is so cold and the contrast from inside to out is so great. Oh well at least I will be cruising!

I booked with X-treme today for cave tubing but still undecided about the other ports and love to hear what people did so please fill us in. There is no such thing as too much information!

Look forward to your review.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StaceyM:

Did you have any kids with you? I was specifically wondering about camp carnival activites for pre-teens, age 12 and up? we sail on June 20. Can't wait! What excursions did you do? Where was your room?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Stacey,

Yes, we had our 2 1/2 year old DS with us. He surely had a blast both at Camp Carnival and at the ports. The girls at Camp were above wonderful. All of the kids seemed to love the camp. We were limited on the shore excursions because of him. We just did the shopping and beach tour in Progresso. In Cozumel, we did some shopping and went to Uncle Chacho's beach. That place was really nice. In Belize, we just took the tender to the coast and did some shopping for souveniers. There is nothing else to do in Belize other than taking an excursion. Hope this helps. Any other questions? I'll check back in the evening.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pompey:

Hope you had a great time. The past reviews sound so good that I feel we made a good choice.

We leave on Sunday (FOUR MORE DAYS) for our first ever cruise on the Elation so will wait with baited breath to hear everything. As you say,there is so much info' on this board that I can't imagine what I would have done if I hadn't discovered it. Definitely clueless. Everyone is so great responding to questions.

Did you find the ship to be very cold? That does worry me because I freeze when it is 80 degrees (I have a heater going under my desk at the moment because of the air conditioning in the office). I will take sweaters obviously but it does spoil things when everything is so cold and the contrast from inside to out is so great. Oh well at least I will be cruising!

I booked with X-treme today for cave tubing but still undecided about the other ports and love to hear what people did so please fill us in. There is no such thing as too much information!

Look forward to your review.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pompey,

This was our 1st cruise as well, but didn't feel like it at all because of this wonderful board. Anyway, we were quite limited as far as the excursions went because of our 2 1/2 year old DS. We just did the city tour, beach relax, shopping type of tours. Everyone liked the cave tubing in Belize, and I saw it on the cruise video. X-treme is better than the Carnival excursion because they take you through 2 caves. Carnival only takes you through 1. The temperature of the ship was kept optimum. At least that is what I felt. My wife usually feels cold, but was ok on the ship, so I can assure you. Taking a sweater/coat will not be a bad idea though. We did, but never used them! If you feel cold, just wander on the outer decks; Lido, Verandah, Sports, Sun. It is always warm outside. Let me know if you have other questions, please.

arlanamay, there was a vibration that was noticeable when you were sitting in the Mikado Lounge but myself I didn't give a thought. I have too many months aboard ships while in the Navy and never noticed that vibration to be upsetting. I think that the vibration is created by the screws that are attached to the stabilizer pods which are amidships. When the screws are in its traditional location at the stern the vibration isn't noticeable except in the aft. IMHO

Those that have sailed on other ships with the stabilizer pods and also on the traditional screw set ups might comment on my thoughts.

Elation - April 2004

I never noticed any excessive vibration on the Elation last month. Remember, it was the first of Carnival's ships to use the azipod propulsion technology. Compared to its shaft driven predecessors that I've been on (including several of Elation's 6 older sister Fantasy class ships), we found it be be much quieter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by arlanamay:

I have a weird question. Someone told my mom that there is a constant vibrating noise on cruise ships and it's very annoying. Is that true.

First Cruise!!!

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

StaceyM,

Although we've not sailed on the Elation, we have sailed on the Celebration and Victory. Your question regarding pre-teens (12 and up) I can answer. Carnival groups the 12 year olds in the following manner: 12 - 15 year olds are together. I was somewhat concerned about our 12 y.o. DD, but my fears were put to rest. She went to the first get together and found others her age and the group did most of the Camp Carnival events, but they also "hung out together" as a group for the entire cruise. She had a blast!

Pompey,

I laughed when I read your post because when I was working, I also kept a heater going under my desk! icon_biggrin.gif My coworkers made such fun of me, but I didn't care! I hate to be cold!!! We've been on two Carnival ships (mentioned above) and they were both COLD in the dining rooms and the lounges. Bring a sweater or you'll be sorry.

Happy cruising,

Gayle

The Mikado lounge is at the very front of the ship, so you could feel some motion when in there. Our room was midship, though classified as AFT (R148), so we did not feel much motion there. We felt some motion in the Tiffany Restaurant and the Inspiration Dining room sometimes. Both of them are in AFT. The only time I felt vibration was when the thrusters were being used to position the ship. It was not constant, though. I usually suffer from motion sickness, but nothing happened on the ship.

I have a couple specific questions for you---is there an alternative dining room on board?

What nights were formal nights (not that it really matters, just curious icon_wink.gif )

What deck was your cabin/room on? and was it nice, no bad odors, etc.?

Thanks for details, it's so enjoyable to live vicariously through others trip reports! icon_smile.gif

Penny

Disney Magic~~Eastern 7/03

Carnival Celebration~~Western 3/04

Aug 1, 2004 Carnival Elation--Yippee, Our 3rd Cruise!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Originally posted by hilltopfamily:

I have a couple specific questions for you---is there an alternative dining room on board?

What nights were formal nights (not that it really matters, just curious icon_wink.gif )

What deck was your cabin/room on? and was it nice, no bad odors, etc.?

Hello Penny,

Formal nights were on Monday (2nd night) and Friday (2nd last night). If you don't want to attend the formal nights, you can always go to the alternative casual dining, or order room service. On the Elation, they also had a sushi bar!

Our room was on the Riviera deck. Although it was classified AFT (R148) it was actually midship. No bad odor from the room. The Riviera deck is the quietest, since it is far below the clubs/restaurants. The rooms are well kept, and at least twice visited and made up by your house keeping crew. They do an excellent job!

thanks for the answers! We're on Riviera deck also, so your response about being there is reassuring (we're in 169 & 171 I believe). We're just hoping the elevator service isn't too lengthy being that far "down" in the ship. Me, DH, and other kids can always do the stairs, but my teen has physical disabilties, making lots of stairs too challenging for her.

Penny

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

icon_smile.gif Hi Penny...I have my Carnival book in hand (as usual) and looks like your in an excellent part of the ship for the elevators. From cabin 169 (right) the elevators and stairs are about 7 cabins away...to the left of cabin 169, the elevators and stairs are about 9 cabins away...either way your in a good location! Hope all is well! icon_smile.gif

~gina~ icon_smile.gif

11/20 Ecstasy cruise countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;11;20;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

On the subject of elevators...

On both of my cruises on the Elation I always seem to wait quite a while for an elevator...sometimes. They're not very consistent, and last time around, I relied on the stairs most of the time just because I got tired of pushing an elevator button, and seeing nothing moving, or passing the floor I was on and going the direction I needed to go.

And forget the atrium elevators. Those things are a joke. I think they run on their own schedule, and not when someone calls it.

Ecstasy awaits...12/4/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;12;4;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Holiday 12/00 - Baja

Elation 05/02 - Mexican Riviera

Elation 05/04 - W. Carribbean

Ecstasy 12/04 - W. Carribbean

See my pictures!

Originally posted by hilltopfamily:

thanks for the answers! We're on Riviera deck also, so your response about being there is reassuring (we're in 169 & 171 I believe). We're just hoping the elevator service isn't too lengthy being that far "down" in the ship. Me, DH, and other kids can always do the stairs, but my teen has physical disabilties, making lots of stairs too challenging for her.

Hello Penny,

My room was very close to the elevators, and your room number says it will be close, as well. It will just be on the Port side, while my room was on the other side. Indeed, there is a wait for the elevators, but I found some tricks. From the Riviera deck, there are 3 sets of elevators to go up. One side goes up to the Lido deck (Deck 10), the other side goes up to the Sports deck (Deck 12). Always press both sides of the elevators so that all 4 elevators respond to your call. When going to the Inspiration dining room and/or Tiffany restaurant, use the AFT(back) elevators. When going to the Mikado lounge, shops, gym, Camp Carnival, Spa, atrium, use the forward elevators. Stay away from the elevators which are closest to the disembarkation on port days. It worked pretty well for me. The atrium glass elevators are slower, but remember to call both when you want to use them! Hope this helps.

Great Ship. Wear Jeans on Formal Night, every one does, lots of Rednecks from Texas on Elation. I wore Tux first Formal Night then dressed down on last Formal night, wore jeans like my table mates.

1979 Carnival Mardi Gras

2000 Carnival Tropicale

2001 Carnival Paradise

2002 Carnival Spirit

2004 Carnival Elation

11/21/2004 CARNIVAL CONQUEST

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;11;21;17;1;00&timezone=GMT-0600

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pnjkeith:

Great Ship. Wear Jeans on Formal Night, every one does, lots of Rednecks from Texas on Elation. I wore Tux first Formal Night then dressed down on last Formal night, wore jeans like my table mates.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for lumping every single Texan into the "redneck" category. While I didn't see many tuxes, I saw plenty of suits and a lot of very formal dresses, DH and myself included.

Ecstasy awaits...12/4/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;12;4;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Holiday 12/00 - Baja

Elation 05/02 - Mexican Riviera

Elation 05/04 - W. Carribbean

Ecstasy 12/04 - W. Carribbean

See my pictures!

There is a form of formal dress in Texas called a Texas Tuxedo, which is the black tails worn with starched jeans, starched white shirt, black bow tie, boots and the black hat. VERY VERY sexy. Has nothing to do with being a redneck. Has everything to do with making the ladies swoon. Bring 'em on!

Thanks so much Gina, Aggie, and Rez1 for the info about the elevators. I can't locate my CCL book icon_frown.gif, so I couldn't look up our cabin location. Good to know we'll be well located for the elevators and on a quiet floor.

And I'm anxious to see this "Texas Tuxedo" zesty describes! I didn't notice anyone wearing one like it on the Celebration, but then I wasn't watching for it! Can't wait to see one.

P.S. Gina: I still haven't gotten started on the scrapbook! I am such a procrastinator! icon_biggrin.gif Hope you had a great weekend. What's your countdown for end of school & end of work? We're down to 9 days left (M-F this week, T-F next week). Yippee!

Penny

Very few jeans on our cruise. More when we sailed from Miami. There was an obnoxious travel agent who wore them everynight on our Elation cruise. He complained about everything but he was not from Texas.

I really wish that the stereotype about Texans would stop!

Elation 4/04

Celebration 5/03

Legend 4/03

Victory 4/02

Sensation 7/96

Holiday 7/94

Celebration 6/93

Archived