Seattle Hotel Recommendations

darnoc23

Hello,

I'm looking for hotel recommendations for Seattle.  I'll be flying into  Seattle 1am Saturday morning (Cruise is on Sunday) and wanted to take the day to tour around Seattle downtown (Space Needle, Pikes Place, Gum Wall).  Looking at the prices for downtown hotels I'm trying to balance price vs convenience.  Average is about $300 a night and will be charged for Friday although I'm checking at 1am.  However, I will have a 9 and 8 year old with me, so I'm balancing the convenience of a downtown hotel vs public transportation.  If I stay at a Seatac hotel or Bellevue, will cost less.  Seatac looks like I can take the train to downtown.  Bellevue is 10 miles away but would need to take a taxi or uber.  Thoughts?  TIA. 

On 7/6/2022 at 12:31 PM, darnoc23 said:

Hello,

I'm looking for hotel recommendations for Seattle.  I'll be flying into  Seattle 1am Saturday morning (Cruise is on Sunday) and wanted to take the day to tour around Seattle downtown (Space Needle, Pikes Place, Gum Wall).  Looking at the prices for downtown hotels I'm trying to balance price vs convenience.  Average is about $300 a night and will be charged for Friday although I'm checking at 1am.  However, I will have a 9 and 8 year old with me, so I'm balancing the convenience of a downtown hotel vs public transportation.  If I stay at a Seatac hotel or Bellevue, will cost less.  Seatac looks like I can take the train to downtown.  Bellevue is 10 miles away but would need to take a taxi or uber.  Thoughts?  TIA. 

I'm in the exact same situation as you. We fly into Seattle late Friday night (11:50pm arrival) for a Sunday cruise. We will also have our 10 yo and 7yo. We are staying at Motif Hotel downtown rather than at SeaTac, that way we don't have to worry about taking the train up to downtown on Saturday morning and then having to store our bags until we can check into our room on Saturday.

One thing that I noticed though is that the last train from SeaTac direct to Westlake Station/Downtown leaves at 11:44pm. I'm not comfortable with taking a train and then transferring to a bus and walking through downtown with luggage and 2 young children at ~12:30-1:00am so we will most likely need to take a taxi/Uber at that hour. 

Thanks! I narrowed it down to Courtyard and Moore Hotel in downtown.  Prices were under $200, so not bad for the day lost checking in at 1am Saturday morning.  Then probably be back at the hotel late Saturday after a days worth of touring.  

On 7/7/2022 at 2:45 PM, gvgseg said:

I'm in the exact same situation as you. We fly into Seattle late Friday night (11:50pm arrival) for a Sunday cruise. We will also have our 10 yo and 7yo. We are staying at Motif Hotel downtown rather than at SeaTac, that way we don't have to worry about taking the train up to downtown on Saturday morning and then having to store our bags until we can check into our room on Saturday.

One thing that I noticed though is that the last train from SeaTac direct to Westlake Station/Downtown leaves at 11:44pm. I'm not comfortable with taking a train and then transferring to a bus and walking through downtown with luggage and 2 young children at ~12:30-1:00am so we will most likely need to take a taxi/Uber at that hour. 

Definitely spring for the Uber at that hour. Taxis are a flat fare of $40 to downtown, but check the prices of Uber/Lyft at that hour. If you're not coming in on a weekend night, you might be able to get that rate cheaper with a ride share and they both pick up on the same level in the parking garage. With 2 children and luggage, I wouldn't recommend the light rail that late.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 3:45 PM, psuboater said:

Definitely spring for the Uber at that hour. Taxis are a flat fare of $40 to downtown, but check the prices of Uber/Lyft at that hour. If you're not coming in on a weekend night, you might be able to get that rate cheaper with a ride share and they both pick up on the same level in the parking garage. With 2 children and luggage, I wouldn't recommend the light rail that late.

I thought that the $40 flat rate only applied for taxis going FROM downtown TO SeaTac, but not from airport to downtown. Am I mistaken? Based on some preliminary searching, it seems that an Uber would be around $60-$70.

2 hours ago, gvgseg said:

I thought that the $40 flat rate only applied for taxis going FROM downtown TO SeaTac, but not from airport to downtown. Am I mistaken? Based on some preliminary searching, it seems that an Uber would be around $60-$70.

The flat fare is for both ways. However, make sure that your hotel falls within the downtown zone, otherwise it will not be the flat rate. 

15 hours ago, psuboater said:

The flat fare is for both ways. However, make sure that your hotel falls within the downtown zone, otherwise it will not be the flat rate. 

Would you happen to know if the Marriot Waterfront falls within the downtown zone?

3 hours ago, psuboater said:

It does.  The downtown flat rate is here: https://seattleyellowcab.com/rates/

As I thought, that site mentions that the flat rate is only for trips going FROM downtown to SeaTac and not from the airport to downtown.

"There is a $40.00 Flat Rate in effect for trips from the Downtown Seattle Hotel District to SeaTac Airport. Please refer to the map above for the boundaries pertaining to this rate. Flat rates are in effect for direct trips only, and trips with any stops involved will be charged the meter rate. Also note that there is no flat rate in effect for trips from SeaTac Airport to the Downtown Hotel District."