needing info on Dream kids club (ages 5&7)

SEAgalC

Would anyone please share what your kids thought of the kids program for both ages 5 and 7. We will be going on the Dream in just a few short days!!! My kids are very excited but since this is my first cruise ever, I don't know what to expect for the kids' programs.

Thank you,

SEAgal

We were on the Dream 12/17/05 and had kids aged 3, 6, and 8 in the kids program. They loved it. There were games, dress up events, movies, etc. The rooms where the kids meet are pretty small though. Our kids went to the kids program every afternoon and evening when we were on the ship. One night we paid extra to have them in until midnight and they watched movies; half the kids were asleep when we picked up ours. We would go eat dinner at 5:30 and then take them at 7 in the evenings - dinner would take that long. I'm sure they'll have fun.

We were on the Thanksgiving cruise in Nov. Kids were 7 and 14. Our 7 year-old little girl loved the Kid's Crew and wanted to go every day. The girls running the acitivities were VERY good with the kids, energetic, hard-working and creative. There were age-appropriate activites such as crafts, movies, group games, and some nights they were taken as a group to the entertainment (juggler, etc.). Our 14 year-old hesitated, but then could not be kept away from the movies, scavenger hunts, and food. It's a classroom type setting, but you will be excited at how well your kids are cared for and how much they enjoy it.

NOTE - These folks are NOT included in the tip pool. Bring a nice tip along with you!

Cruiser-dude - thanks for the 'tip' about them not being included with the gratuities! I didn't realize and will be sure and take some extra money for them!

they are so excited - I am sure they will enjoy this trip!

Thanks

SEAgal

Im new to this message stuff so if I make any mistakes please forgive. We took our 10 year old on the Costa Magica last year to the Caribbean. He was 9 1/2 and did not like the Kids Club. It was too young for him. He was not old enough for the Teenage club. We took him to the arcade the second day out and he made friends with a 12 yr old and they had a ball. We left him with a walkie talkie and let him hand out with his new friend. The rules were he had to check in with us every 1/2 hour, could not go on the outside decks, and under no circumstances was he to go into anyones stateroom. He did very well with the rules and met lots of other kids ages 11 - 15. There were about 5 boys that hung out together and had a great time. Never had any problems with them being rowdy or breaking any of the rules we set up. My son had the best time of his life and can't wait to go on our next cruise on April 8 on the NCL Dream out of Houston. Hope this helps.

We took him to the arcade the second day out and he made friends with a 12 yr old and they had a ball. We left him with a walkie talkie and let him hand out with his new friend. The rules were he had to check in with us every 1/2 hour, could not go on the outside decks, and under no circumstances was he to go into anyones stateroom..

Mousey --

I will be first-time cruiser on the Jewel in about a month with a 6 year old and 8 yr. old. I suspect my 8 -yr.-old will want to spend a lot of time in the arcade. Do I need to bring extra coins/dollars for that or is it included in pre-paid items?

Also, did you bring your own walkie-talkies or get them on the ship?

I just got off the Dream last Saturday (sigh... missing cruising already)

The arcade machines on the Dream take quarters (or dollar bills) not tokens and there is no change machine. The games are kinda old but still good diversions.

Side story: My wife and I stuck a dollar into Virtua Fighter 2 (we're in our 30s and haven't been in an arcade in at least 7 years) and she was so good at the game that we were still playing after 15 minutes and were almost late to the comedy show! :)

-Andy

Mia,

We brought our own walkie talkies. It is the best idea we ever had. On the ship and off the ship. On the ship our 10 yr. old was able to keep in touch with us and was able to be independent and he loved the freedom. It showed us that he can be very responsible when he is given the opportunity. Off the boat whenever I want to shop my husband and son go off to do their own thing and then we can communicate where we are when we want to meet back up. Yes, you can set a time limit and a designated place to meet but sometimes things happen and you can't always make it on time. So I wil never travel without them again! We bring extra batteries too. All this takes up very little room in our carry on.

This trip we will have rolls of quarters for our son to use in the arcade. We limit the amount of spending money each day for him and he is fine with that. Once you use it you get no more for the day. Good way to teach a kid to budget. Our son had such a great time last year and can't wait for this year's cruise.

April 8th out of Houston on the Dream.

Archived