MSC Seashore Review July 2-9.. worst cruise I have ever sailed on... wow

scottamemnon

Don't forget to bring fever meds (advil, tylenol, etc...), lozenges and anything you think you might need. My wife brings a minipharmacy which we hardly use (jinx for our next cruise) but usually our cruisemates need...it's a running joke that they just need to fill their prescription with her.

As per the handwashing -- funny, we are adults, should we really need to be reminded?  Yes, some do, especially after they go to the washroom (water hitting your hands does not count as washing them -- you know who you are).

Most ships have the quarantine cabins on the lower deck -- MSC must like giving prime rooms out  to Covid -- good for you MSC (I'm being sarcastic, just in case no one gets this and starts hating).

Sorry to hear about your experience OP.  How long was your cruise? Did you have to quarantine before flying home (if you had to fly home)?

I am surprised that they would not just pack up the entire family and put you in quarantine. Definitely, they were in close contact with a Covid patient.  And I guess they weren’t told to avoid being out and about in the ship?

As for washy-washy, as annoying as that is, it certainly seems necessary to make people wash their hands.  Too long we have all heard about men’s rooms and the unused sinks.  Or Norovirus outbreaks on cruise ships. It doesn’t matter what we know, humans don’t think bad things will happen to them / rules don’t apply to me… or you are not the boss of me!

Hope everyone is feeling better. Sorry to hear what a sad way to experience what should have been a great vacation.

1 hour ago, alohayall said:

I am surprised that they would not just pack up the entire family and put you in quarantine. Definitely, they were in close contact with a Covid patient.  And I guess they weren’t told to avoid being out and about in the ship?

As for washy-washy, as annoying as that is, it certainly seems necessary to make people wash their hands.  Too long we have all heard about men’s rooms and the unused sinks.  Or Norovirus outbreaks on cruise ships. It doesn’t matter what we know, humans don’t think bad things will happen to them / rules don’t apply to me… or you are not the boss of me!

Hope everyone is feeling better. Sorry to hear what a sad way to experience what should have been a great vacation.

Not only were they in close contact, they were all showing symptoms.  My daughter had a darn fever.  We demanded they quarantine all of us because otherwise it was just being crazy.  My wife was told on the phone that if they tested negative again(30 minutes after the first test), that it was sufficient for them and they would be able to go about the ship freely and leave the ship onto Ocean Cay.

Either way we are not going to be cruising anytime soon.  We had the Mardi Gras scheduled for Thanksgiving and we are cancelling it today.  One of the whole points to cruising was always the amazing customer service aspect, if that is gone, I simply no longer see the point over land vacations.  Much of the rest of the magic had been nickeled and dimed away, with that becoming even more noticeable on this mega ships.

47 minutes ago, scottamemnon said:

Not only were they in close contact, they were all showing symptoms.  My daughter had a darn fever.  We demanded they quarantine all of us because otherwise it was just being crazy.  My wife was told on the phone that if they tested negative again(30 minutes after the first test), that it was sufficient for them and they would be able to go about the ship freely and leave the ship onto Ocean Cay.

Either way we are not going to be cruising anytime soon.  We had the Mardi Gras scheduled for Thanksgiving and we are cancelling it today.  One of the whole points to cruising was always the amazing customer service aspect, if that is gone, I simply no longer see the point over land vacations.  Much of the rest of the magic had been nickeled and dimed away, with that becoming even more noticeable on this mega ships.

Guess I do not understand this "demand to be quarantined thing."  If you want to be quarantined just stay in the cabin and use room service.   But the protocol you describe (testing) is standard on most cruise lines.  And if you were doing a land vacation nobody would be "quarantining" you as it is simply something you choose to do on your own.  Recently heard of a cruise ship passenger who was tested positive and in quarantine on their ship.  When they returned to the port (in Ft Lauderdale) for debarkation they were simply put off the ship.  While it was suggested they quarantine at a local hotel there are no "quarantine" police and once back in the country folks are generally free to do as they please.  

I do agree with you that when you travel on a mass market line (and especially on huge ships) there is a lot of nickel and diming.  One can escape most of this by booking an upscale luxury line such as Seabourn, Silverseas, Sea Dream, Regent, etc.  On those lines you can easily pay over $1000 per passenger day but you will not be nickel and dimed :).   The reality is that mass market cruise lines (such as MSC, RCI, Carnival etc) use a business model that depends on "maximizing onboard revenue" as a contributor to the bottom line.   On MSC you can escape much of the nickel and diming by simply booking a Yacht Club cabin.   Perhaps this is all best expressed with the old saying that you often "get what you pay for."

Hank

• Like 1

I'm genuinely sorry about your quarantine experience.

Someone else posted on how this can serve to remind us all that COVID isn't going away and it really comes down to individual responsibility. I will be bringing my whole family for the SEASHORE 23rd JUL cruise. There will be NINE of us. My perspective is that we either don't vacation as a family or we are all willing to take the individual risk. As a matter of fact this was exactly how I posed it to my adult children. I "want" them to join us, but they needed to understand the risk/reward factors. Only time will tell and I certainly am hoping for the best; however, we all feel fully responsible for whatever the outcome may be. BTW, we're flying in from 3 different locations, so we'll have the plane passenger exposure to boot, but here again, that's the risk we're all willing to take.

I'm not defending MSC in any way but I've read many accounts from different lines and have heard similar stories, including negative people who likely have the virus being allowed to leave.  It isn't unique to MSC for sure. 

Just wondering, I saw a question recently about testing positive for Covid on MSC and being required to leave at the next port.  Is that what happened or did you finish the cruise?

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

I'm not defending MSC in any way but I've read many accounts from different lines and have heard similar stories, including negative people who likely have the virus being allowed to leave.  It isn't unique to MSC for sure. 

Just wondering, I saw a question recently about testing positive for Covid on MSC and being required to leave at the next port.  Is that what happened or did you finish the cruise?

We finished our cruise, although I tested positive the morning we arrived at Ocean Cay, the last full day of our cruise.  I doubt they could have left me there even if they wanted to.

1 minute ago, scottamemnon said:

We finished our cruise, although I tested positive the morning we arrived at Ocean Cay, the last full day of our cruise.  I doubt they could have left me there even if they wanted to.

No I suppose not.