Questions about bringing wine onboard

patch216

Hi all,  is it true that there is no limit on the number of wine bottles that I can bring onboard?   Seems ever more tempting now that I am hearing about some shortages of liquor onboard.  

Also, when they mention a $15 corkage fee, is that charged only if they open the bottle for you at a restaurant?   In other words, if I open it myself and drink it in my room or pour myself a glass to take to dinner, there would be no way to charge me a corking fee, right?  

Finally, does the wine need to be carried on (rather than being checked with a porter)?   Has anyone had problems bringing several bottles onboard in NY (MCT)?

Thanks!!

Yes you can bring as much wine as you can carry on with you, but the $15 is charged when you board and applies regardless of where you drink it.

On the positive side, if you do have the beverage package then the corkage isn't charged (although this is new and hasn't been tested yet).

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, patch216 said:

Hi all,  is it true that there is no limit on the number of wine bottles that I can bring onboard?   Seems ever more tempting now that I am hearing about some shortages of liquor onboard.  

Also, when they mention a $15 corkage fee, is that charged only if they open the bottle for you at a restaurant?   In other words, if I open it myself and drink it in my room or pour myself a glass to take to dinner, there would be no way to charge me a corking fee, right?  

Finally, does the wine need to be carried on (rather than being checked with a porter)?   Has anyone had problems bringing several bottles onboard in NY (MCT)?

Thanks!!

You need to hand carry it onboard. If you leave it in your checked luggage, your bag will be confiscated and sent to the “naughty room” where you will spend part of your first night with dozens of others in line to get it security inspected. 

On 7/13/2022 at 6:23 AM, Middleager said:

So if I don't have beverage package, I'll need to find a good friend who has the package, to check in together, to have the corkage fee waived.😁

That sounds like the way to go!

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2022 at 6:23 PM, Middleager said:

So if I don't have beverage package, I'll need to find a good friend who has the package, to check in together, to have the corkage fee waived.😁

And you'll also need that friend with you if you plan to drink it outside of your stateroom unless you only plan to fill your glass and leave the bottle behind. Once you take it to a restaurant and it doesn't have a sticker on it (showing you paid the corkage fee) and you don't have the beverage package, you will be charged the corkage fee.

15 minutes ago, peg013 said:

And you'll also need that friend with you if you plan to drink it outside of your stateroom unless you only plan to fill your glass and leave the bottle behind. Once you take it to a restaurant and it doesn't have a sticker on it (showing you paid the corkage fee) and you don't have the beverage package, you will be charged the corkage fee.

Those bottles should get stickers when my friend check in.  So that shouldn't be a problem.

For this "friend with benefit", I'll be sure to share wine with them.  It's only fair.

So, the next cruises I'm coming on are... 😜