Alaska cruise - Crab lunch

Airportlimbo

We did B2B Alaska cruises on the Solstice last month.  On the first leg we  realized that there was a special seafood lunch (not described as a pop up crab shack) for a fee in one of the specialty restaurants but realized it too late to make reservations.  I spoke with one of the Retreat Concierges to ask if it would be offered on the second leg.  She checked with the Food and Beverage folks and was told that the special seafood lunch was cancelled on the June 17th leg as they could not obtain the additional  seafood.  Due to the lack of the seafood it would not be offered on the June 24th leg either.  

Hopefully someone on the Millennium can provide more information.

Can’t speak to an onboard crab shack, but can definitely recommend Tracey’s King Crab Shack right off the pier in Juneau. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We did B2B Alaska cruises on the Solstice last month.  On the first leg we  realized that there was a special seafood lunch (not described as a pop up crab shack) for a fee in one of the specialty restaurants but realized it too late to make reservations.  I spoke with one of the Retreat Concierges to ask if it would be offered on the second leg.  She checked with the Food and Beverage folks and was told that the special seafood lunch was cancelled on the June 17th leg as they could not obtain the additional  seafood.  Due to the lack of the seafood it would not be offered on the June 24th leg either.  

Hopefully someone on the Millennium can provide more information.

Thanks, I’ll follow up on board to see they are offering it on my sailing. This sounds promising. Hopefully the Eclipse has something similar.

On Solstice, there was a seafood evening in the Oceanview.  Fresh seafood was delivered while in Juneau and the choices  on the grill were Pacific Cod, salmon, and halibut.  King crab was also available.  

29 minutes ago, keesar said:

On Solstice, there was a seafood evening in the Oceanview.  Fresh seafood was delivered while in Juneau and the choices  on the grill were Pacific Cod, salmon, and halibut.  King crab was also available.  

That sounds amazing!  Was that publicized at all, was it listed in the Celebrity Today newsletter?  That's something you wouldn't want to miss......

5 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

We sailed on Millie in early June. Tuscan Grille did a seafood lunch on our last sea day before Vancouver. 

This sounds like what they tried to do on the Solstice in June, but did't have enough of the required seafood onboard.  

And the pop up crab shack lunch described by our OP sounds like a special lunch (which had a fee) which I saw on several Celebrity ships pre-covid on different itineraries.  Not only did we see the offer on an Alaska itinerary but it also appeared on a Canada/New England itinerary.

And while this opinion irritates some, as someone who actually lives in Alaska, I've found Tracey's Crab Shack in Juneau to be over-rated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5waldos said:

$200.00? As in, $67 a pound? Am I the only one shocked? 

Actually surprised it’s not higher, it’s $60/lb for king crab at my local Kroger’s and saw a video from Pike Place in Seattle where a vendor had king crab listed at $100/lb yikes.

Edited by wilycoyote76
Typo

12 hours ago, wilycoyote76 said:

Actually surprised it’s not higher, it’s $60/lb for king crab at my local Kroger’s and saw a video from Pike Place in Seattle where a vendor had king crab listed at $100/lb yikes.

Did do some research after posting and apparently I should not have been surprised. I haven't bought king crab perhaps ever so had no idea it was so pricey. Significantly more than lobster. 

On 7/13/2022 at 12:33 PM, keesar said:

Did you have to pay for the king crab?

12 minutes ago, a350flyer said:

Did you have to pay for the king crab?

No, I did not have to pay for the king crab.  I was surprised how few people took advantage of the seafood night in the Oceanview.  You were able to order what type of fish/seafood you wanted  (choices of filets were in front) and the cook grilled it for you.  The crab was in a big kettle.  That night was also cupcake night with many varieties of cupcakes available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 5waldos said:

Did do some research after posting and apparently I should not have been surprised. I haven't bought king crab perhaps ever so had no idea it was so pricey. Significantly more than lobster. 

I think our Tuscan Grille Lunch was focused more on Lobster. With a very good filet mignon as a option. Lunch was about $35pp.

16 hours ago, keesar said:

No, I did not have to pay for the king crab.  I was surprised how few people took advantage of the seafood night in the Oceanview.  You were able to order what type of fish/seafood you wanted  (choices of filets were in front) and the cook grilled it for you.  The crab was in a big kettle.  That night was also cupcake night with many varieties of cupcakes available.

was this the same day as formal night? (lobster in the MDR?)