NCL Introduces new "Free At Sea Plus" Packages

3 minutes ago, thegreeneyedkri said:

Well shoot. I guess I’m calling again tomorrow and trying to speak to someone else. 

Definitely should. I had it added yesterday for a cruise that sails next week! Well past final payment!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, thegreeneyedkri said:

I tried to add this on to our November sailing but was told that as we are past final payment, they were unable to add it. They could see it but it was greyed out. 😔

I added it to my October sailing no problem, it's very new, I'd give the hang up, call again strategy a couple tries. Took me a few times before I got the right person.

• Like 1

Trying to add it now. First the agent didn’t know what it was, now the Agent is telling me it knocks out my second airfare is free promo so I cannot add it. I can individually upgrade each one, but that defeats the purpose of the deal. Anyone successfully add it with the free second airfare? Maybe I should transfer my booking to a TA to see if they can sort it out? 

5 hours ago, thegreeneyedkri said:

I tried to add this on to our November sailing but was told that as we are past final payment, they were unable to add it. They could see it but it was greyed out. 😔

I was after final payment.  But if you booked in 2021 that may be why.

31 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Do you really think that will simplify things?

fair point. Just doesn’t make sense that the promo can’t be added on with the free airfare. It’s an upgrade for more money, you would think they would want that. I won’t be adding all of them separately if I can’t do this so they will lose money on me 

Here is our experience booking the Free at Sea Plus upgrade and the dollar value I calculated.

My husband called our PCC in typical husband fashion...and yep, he was right to do it.

Anyway, our PCC looked at the reservation we have for August 29th and said we could upgrade even though we are past the final payment date. We did book this cruise about two weeks ago, which I believe is why we were able to book the upgrade.

After he talked to her, then brought the phone to me so she could repeat everything she had just said, to me, we decided to take advantage of the program. Here's what she said it will give us - all this was noted on the final receipt in MyNCL:

1. Premium Plus beverage package - QUESTION FOR THE GROUP - she says milkshakes, specifically at American Diner are included in this package. I don't think they are. Anyone have experience with this?

2. Shore Excursions - he's the first named passenger so the husband received the normal Free at Sea $50 off all shore excursions. Now, with this package, I too receive $50 off all shore excursions. The PCC told us this would be up to $50 per port (so basically one excursion), however we have two excursions booked when we're in Bermuda. The shore excursion lady told us two $50 refunds were automatically applied as soon as we upgraded to Free at Sea Plus. The invoice confirmed this.

We may add another excursion or two which would just increase the total savings of this package (see below for calculations).

3. Specialty Dining - our PCC told us that on a 5 night cruise we would receive one extra specialty dining meal for each of us. She was wrong. We received two additional specialty dining meals for each of us as the original image on this post showed. Here we come La Cucina and Le Bistro!

4. Unlimited WiFi - I can't wait to see how blazing fast this non-streaming WiFi is. I might attempt a live since I'll now have WiFi. Not sure if the phone will remain a camera or I'll go online - knowing me, I'll turn the WiFi on even though I don't want to while on vacation.

We did not have to rebook anything. All the discounts (shore excursions) occurred automatically. Our PCC thought we'd have to call shore excursions, but in that phone call we learned the refunds had already started.

Here' are our savings:

Excursions - $50 for each excursion we're taking - $100 total

Premium Plus - $29 per day, per person - $290 total

Specialty Dining - $106 per person, 2 meals each - $212

Unlimited WiFi - I'm not counting this as a savings, since we would not have upgraded to it

Total Value - $602

Since we paid $49 per person, per day ($490 total) for the Free at Sea upgrade, this package will save us $112 total.

If we cared about the Unlimited WiFi, here is the calculations for the entire value of the package:

Unlimited Wifi - $89.95/per person upgrade from the 75 minutes each we already received

Total, total value - $781.90 for a savings of $291.90

Communication with NCL: As for reaching our PCC - she's usually fairly responsive. My husband left her a message on Thursday for something else - she called us back on Saturday, so a little bit of a wait. It was good since he could then ask her about the Free at Sea Plus package. We called shore excursions, left our name and number, then received a call back about 15 minutes later (within the stated estimated wait time).

On a personal note, I need to discuss my husband calling me crazy as he informed our PCC that I'm one of those crazy Cruise Critic people - she was curious how we found out about the Free at Sea Plus, and this is how he described the circumstances of me discovering it.

Edited by cruiseny4life

Interesting glitch with this program - just spent a half hour on the telephone with a seemingly very competent NCL rep.  We have a 10 day cruise booked.  It came with 1 meal for the base free at sea and an additional 2 from the plus package.  I wanted to add some additional meals, but the system does not allow more than the two packages related to dining.  so that means if we want more than 3 nights of specialty dining we have to cancel the Plus program.   Hmmm.   Anyone else have this come up?

12 minutes ago, Happycrafter123 said:

Interesting glitch with this program - just spent a half hour on the telephone with a seemingly very competent NCL rep.  We have a 10 day cruise booked.  It came with 1 meal for the base free at sea and an additional 2 from the plus package.  I wanted to add some additional meals, but the system does not allow more than the two packages related to dining.  so that means if we want more than 3 nights of specialty dining we have to cancel the Plus program.   Hmmm.   Anyone else have this come up?

I have a booking which came with two free at sea meals. I have upgraded using the speciality meal upgrade to give us an extra two (which is what free at sea plus includes).

If I go online and try to add another meal package it adds it correctly to our basket and I can then go to the payment page. I obviously can't test it any further without actually purchasing, but that would indicate that I can at least purchase a third package.

Edited by KeithJenner

16 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I have a booking which came with two free at sea meals. I have upgraded using the speciality meal upgrade to give us an extra two (which is what free at sea plus includes).

If I go online and try to add another meal package it adds it correctly to our basket and I can then go to the payment page. I obviously can't test it any further without actually purchasing, but that would indicate that I can at least purchase a third package.

Yes it lets me add to shopping cart but then won’t go through when trying to apply payment.   Tried that a few times and then called them and she tried a few different ways then advised it would not allow it.

5 hours ago, fox02554 said:

FASUDP

Actually, it's FASUP.

For those calling to get this package, know that the reps are hit and miss with the program, probably because they're not yet trained on it.  When I called CAS, they needed to engage a supervisor.  That was fine; they ultimately got it right.  If your person isn't familiar, just ask them to check with their supervisor or call back later.

12 hours ago, phillygwm said:

The chart said valid for bookings after 1/18/22 so that's probably why.

Oh no. I’m not usually one of THOSE people. I don’t know how I missed that. I guess I got too excited of the prospect of it saving us money since we upgrade our drinks and internet anyway and it’s cheaper than upgrading those two items separately. 😕

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Here is our experience booking the Free at Sea Plus upgrade and the dollar value I calculated.

My husband called our PCC in typical husband fashion...and yep, he was right to do it.

Anyway, our PCC looked at the reservation we have for August 29th and said we could upgrade even though we are past the final payment date. We did book this cruise about two weeks ago, which I believe is why we were able to book the upgrade.

After he talked to her, then brought the phone to me so she could repeat everything she had just said, to me, we decided to take advantage of the program. Here's what she said it will give us - all this was noted on the final receipt in MyNCL:

1. Premium Plus beverage package - QUESTION FOR THE GROUP - she says milkshakes, specifically at American Diner are included in this package. I don't think they are. Anyone have experience with this?

2. Shore Excursions - he's the first named passenger so the husband received the normal Free at Sea $50 off all shore excursions. Now, with this package, I too receive $50 off all shore excursions. The PCC told us this would be up to $50 per port (so basically one excursion), however we have two excursions booked when we're in Bermuda. The shore excursion lady told us two $50 refunds were automatically applied as soon as we upgraded to Free at Sea Plus. The invoice confirmed this.

We may add another excursion or two which would just increase the total savings of this package (see below for calculations).

3. Specialty Dining - our PCC told us that on a 5 night cruise we would receive one extra specialty dining meal for each of us. She was wrong. We received two additional specialty dining meals for each of us as the original image on this post showed. Here we come La Cucina and Le Bistro!

4. Unlimited WiFi - I can't wait to see how blazing fast this non-streaming WiFi is. I might attempt a live since I'll now have WiFi. Not sure if the phone will remain a camera or I'll go online - knowing me, I'll turn the WiFi on even though I don't want to while on vacation.

We did not have to rebook anything. All the discounts (shore excursions) occurred automatically. Our PCC thought we'd have to call shore excursions, but in that phone call we learned the refunds had already started.

Here' are our savings:

Excursions - $50 for each excursion we're taking - $100 total

Premium Plus - $29 per day, per person - $290 total

Specialty Dining - $106 per person, 2 meals each - $212

Unlimited WiFi - I'm not counting this as a savings, since we would not have upgraded to it

Total Value - $602

Since we paid $49 per person, per day ($490 total) for the Free at Sea upgrade, this package will save us $112 total.

If we cared about the Unlimited WiFi, here is the calculations for the entire value of the package:

Unlimited Wifi - $89.95/per person upgrade from the 75 minutes each we already received

Total, total value - $781.90 for a savings of $291.90

Communication with NCL: As for reaching our PCC - she's usually fairly responsive. My husband left her a message on Thursday for something else - she called us back on Saturday, so a little bit of a wait. It was good since he could then ask her about the Free at Sea Plus package. We called shore excursions, left our name and number, then received a call back about 15 minutes later (within the stated estimated wait time).

On a personal note, I need to discuss my husband calling me crazy as he informed our PCC that I'm one of those crazy Cruise Critic people - she was curious how we found out about the Free at Sea Plus, and this is how he described the circumstances of me discovering it.

Gonna redo the math here a bit.

So on a 5 night cruise, the total package upgrade is $490 ($49 a day p/p) + $58 for Premium Beverage gratuities + $22.60 for 2-Meal Specialty Dining Gratuities for a final total of $570.60

Separately:

Premium Plus is $348 (gratuity included) for 5 nights and 2 people

Specialty Dining Upgrade is $141.60 (gratuity included) for the 2 meal upgrade for 2 people

Plus the $100 extra for the 2 excursions taken without this new promo (only first person got $50)

So that cost would be $589.60

So in your case you saved $19 with the package upgrade. . . but this does not factor in the unlimited internet for two devices or potential for additional excursions $50 savings.

With the internet value added in at $179.90 for two devices . . . The paid separate cost would be up to $769.50 vs. the $570.60 you would pay if you purchase the FAS Plus upgrade.

If you had more excursions booked through the cruise line, your savings would increase more.

So honestly, this package upgrade makes the most sense if you were going to upgrade your Beverage Plan (definitely) and your internet plan.  If the Beverage upgrade isn't an option, skip this entirely.  If the Beverage Plan was an option but internet upgrade wasn't, then you need to see if you can offset value between the dining package and the shore excursions.

Solid deal for those who were going to take advantage of all that is provided.

Edited by kdawg954
  • Like 1

I’m reconsidering this now if I can’t add the extra meals.  If it comes down to better drinks or better food my husband and I are going to pick the food.  When I added the Plus it did not occur to me that would prevent me from being able to buy the extra specialty dinning for our other nights.  Hopefully they fix their system so we can have this package AND buy additional specialty dining. 

1 hour ago, kdawg954 said:

Gonna redo the math here a bit.

So on a 5 night cruise, the total package upgrade is $490 ($49 a day p/p) + $58 for Premium Beverage gratuities + $22.60 for 2-Meal Specialty Dining Gratuities for a final total of $570.60

Separately:

Premium Plus is $348 (gratuity included) for 5 nights and 2 people

Specialty Dining Upgrade is $141.60 (gratuity included) for the 2 meal upgrade for 2 people

Plus the $100 extra for the 2 excursions taken without this new promo (only first person got $50)

So that cost would be $589.60

So in your case you saved $19 with the package upgrade. . . but this does not factor in the unlimited internet for two devices or potential for additional excursions $50 savings.

With the internet value added in at $179.90 for two devices . . . The paid separate cost would be up to $769.50 vs. the $570.60 you would pay if you purchase the FAS Plus upgrade.

If you had more excursions booked through the cruise line, your savings would increase more.

So honestly, this package upgrade makes the most sense if you were going to upgrade your Beverage Plan (definitely) and your internet plan.  If the Beverage upgrade isn't an option, skip this entirely.  If the Beverage Plan was an option but internet upgrade wasn't, then you need to see if you can offset value between the dining package and the shore excursions.

Solid deal for those who were going to take advantage of all that is provided.

I was under the impression that the gratuities for the drink package and the extra 2 meals were already included in the $49 p/p day.  How do they calculate the gratuity for the drink package?

16 minutes ago, jmele999 said:

I was under the impression that the gratuities for the drink package and the extra 2 meals were already included in the $49 p/p day.  How do they calculate the gratuity for the drink package?

Haven't had time to look at the entire recalculation post yet...could be right. I suck with math.

We were not charged additional gratuities for the beverage or dining piece of the package...unless that comes at a later date which would be odd.

36 minutes ago, jmele999 said:

The site that has it broken down says the gratuities are additional, which makes sense but to your point we won't fully know until NCL officially rolls it out.

The premium plus drink package gratuities are $5.80 pp per day.  $29 a day + gratuities make it $34.80 a day per person.

19 minutes ago, AwesomO said:

The original image in the first post is no longer showing up. Not sure if its just me. Does anyone else have it, or can someone direct where to find it since it's not on ncl.com yet?

41156841-3284-4799-86B1-919B7CD817ED.jpeg

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Haven't had time to look at the entire recalculation post yet...could be right. I suck with math.

We were not charged additional gratuities for the beverage or dining piece of the package...unless that comes at a later date which would be odd.

Would be great if that's the case!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdawg954 said:

The site that has it broken down says the gratuities are additional, which makes sense but to your point we won't fully know until NCL officially rolls it out.

I added it for an upcoming 4 day.  As a solo, it's $42/day.  No grats were assessed in addition to that so, at least for now, it's included.

• Like 1