guatemala safe travel

skl

We are sailing on the Sun on the 25th and stopping in Santo Tomas. My husband showed me an article that ran in yesterday's paper regarding abductions, torture, and murder in Guatemala. The unfortunate people who were victims were native Guatemalans, not tourists, but it scared the bejesus out of me and I am unsure whether or not to book any excursions or hang out on the ship. Anyone been there recently who can comment?

We were on the Jan 28th sailing of the Sun, and our day in Guatemala was a memory of a life time. As long as you buy a water tour from someone at the port, you were in little or no danger. Those State Department reports are for all over Guatemala, I believe over several years. There are dangerous roads where there are robberies, so it seemed to those of us in our cruise critics group that taking a water tour was the way to go. All of us that did that had remarkable days. There are several threads below that describe our tours. I guess there's risks in anything in life, but it would be a real shame to be there and not see Guatemala.

Regards John

I agree with the above posters. We had a very satisfactory day in Guatemala

at the Amatique Bay Resort (which I would recommend for those who just want to relax or who have small children). If you are more active there are a number of potentially interesting possibilities.

• 3 weeks later...

Guatemalan Government has taken special interest in making the rain forrest safe for tourist, also the community has gotten involved and formed a network of intelligence to report on any individual that is a potential threat to tourism. Feel safe to book any of the tours to Livingston and the Rain Forrest.:) :)

We are sailing on the Sun on the 25th and stopping in Santo Tomas. My husband showed me an article that ran in yesterday's paper regarding abductions, torture, and murder in Guatemala. The unfortunate people who were victims were native Guatemalans, not tourists, but it scared the bejesus out of me and I am unsure whether or not to book any excursions or hang out on the ship. Anyone been there recently who can comment?

If you read the State Department warnings carefully you will find that they are warning you about highway problems, especially near the big cities and Antigua. Santo Tomas, Puerto Barrios and Livingston are not anywhere near these areas. The area of Santo Tomas is remote, the people are honest and simple in comparison to the bad guys that prey on tourists in the capital. You will see and encounter honest businessmen earning a living from tourism in an area that prior to the cruise ships arrival had very little tourism. So they are just now learning what pleases an American tourist from a ship.

Everyone you encounter within the port of Santo Tomas will be licensed and therefore a safe ride. Security at the port is tight. No one can just wander in and ask you if you want a tour or cab. We had to show our cruise sea pass to get back into the port.

• 9 months later...

Have you read a paper from the USA lately? Judging by our papers, all you have to do is walk down the street to get shot, yet most of us would say that we live in a very safe country. Don't let reports of violence scare you into not going somewhere. Just use your common sense!

• 8 months later...

We'll be stopping in Guatemala in Feb. on the new Quest. I have no fear of stopping there or taking any tour recommended by the cruise line or picking up a trip from a local.

We spent a couple of weeks there last year and it was one of the most pleasant trip I've ever taken. I went to buy textiles; I found a whole new world. The people were extremely friendly. The country is cleaner than anywhere I've ever visited. Antigua is a jewel of a town and every village we visited was charming and safe. There IS a police presence due to internal strife in the past (the people of Guatemala have suffered terribly) acting as tourist police and they kindly give directions, recommend restaurants if you ask, etc.

There are still some dangerous areas (but there are here in LA as well) and all of the guides know very well where not to go.

For those of you with fears of going to this wonderful country, please go and enjoy! You won't get out without art and textiles and you won't be sorry.

We're planning another land trip there after our short cruise day...never enough time for Guatemala.

Enjoy!

murphysmum;)

Archived