Barcelona Testing

SeaSwirl66

Due to depart from Barcelona on the Virtuosa in the next few weeks. Does anyone know where we can get our covid tests done? 

When we departed Naples last year basically every pharmacy offered testing for just €15. Going by the MSC website, self-tests are not accepted, does this include tele-health testing?

You can use proctored tele-health tests. We used Emed for our cruise from Naples last month. You would want to be sure to order them soon. It didn't take very long to get, but better to allow a few days if you go that route. I would imagine Barcelona has testing sites, but nice to do it on your own time frame with the Emed tests.

• Thanks 1

Well, we were told something different by MSC UK! 

We are UK citizens and are all vaccinated.  We were told that the antigen tests don't have to be observed.  They just have to be UK/EU approved.  We were told verbally.  I have since sent an email asking the same question so I have the proof in writing!  (We are embarking Virtuosa, in Barcelona, on Monday).

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, panamapd said:

Well, we were told something different by MSC UK! 

We are UK citizens and are all vaccinated.  We were told that the antigen tests don't have to be observed.  They just have to be UK/EU approved.  We were told verbally.  I have since sent an email asking the same question so I have the proof in writing!  (We are embarking Virtuosa, in Barcelona, on Monday).

Typical MSC! I may send them an email to get it in writing too then book a tele-health one like @mnpurple suggested.

This is what's confusing me from: https://www.msccruises.co.uk/health-and-safety-measures/mediterranean

Screenshot_20220715-181307.png

Received an email today which states 

"Please note that as long as the test comes with a Negative result certificate is all good"

So we will have copies of this email, our vaccine certificates and will do our antigen test through NPH (iMed) UK who we have used before.

Will let you know what happens when we get back to the UK!

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2022 at 4:10 PM, SeaSwirl66 said:

Due to depart from Barcelona on the Virtuosa in the next few weeks. Does anyone know where we can get our covid tests done? 

When we departed Naples last year basically every pharmacy offered testing for just €15. Going by the MSC website, self-tests are not accepted, does this include tele-health testing?

Spain will be most likely like Italy. Pretty much any pharmacy will make those tests. Bear in mind that at a Sunday many places could to be closed.

Even though some countries are now relaxing or abolishing their policies, by European regulations to travel from country to country you'll need a test that gives you a medical European certificate performed by a health professional (digital or in paper), so auto tests won't be good here. Any pharmacy here will give you those certificates. Some municipalities will have some dedicated places where you may have a free or affordable rapid test with a certificate. Some in the airports or even at the ports themselves. Don't know what the reality is in Barcelona right now.

Have a nice day!...

Edited by Nunagoras
  • Thanks 1

In UK  ( at least sailing from Europe ) you just need to do an antigen/ lateral flow test where you can get a certificate to show MSC. Randox are popular in the Uk. Buy their test, collect it locally, download the app, do the test, upload the result and you get a digital certificate in minutes. 

• Thanks 1

What you need is a certificate saying you tested negative, the time the test was done and the type of test.  The "self test not accepted" refers to just coming the the actual plastic self test.

You could:

- take a test when you land at Barcelona airport, if flying in at the right time.  This is probably the most hassle free, but cost about €30 so a bit pricey.

- take a monitored self test.  I've used testifly, but if your coming from the UK maybe randox is also easy.  This is the cheapest, and you can do from your hotel relatively easily (but following the instructions can be complicated).

- take a test at a pharmacy or lab in Barcelona - this is the one option I've not done, but always had as a backup plan.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all! Erring towards just getting a couple of the Randox tests and bringing them with us. Will try and get to the port early, if they don't accept Randox certs there should be enough time to make a mad dash to a pharmacy.... If only the website was clearer!!

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/health-and-safety-measures/northern-europe-and-cruises-from-uk

They've updated this page (and the same one for med cruises) and removed the line about self tests not being accepted. We'll be ordering two Randox tests and feeling a lot more confident now.

Thank you everyone for your replies, much appreciated. 

6 hours ago, SeaSwirl66 said:

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/health-and-safety-measures/northern-europe-and-cruises-from-uk

They've updated this page (and the same one for med cruises) and removed the line about self tests not being accepted. We'll be ordering two Randox tests and feeling a lot more confident now.

Sure wish they'd do that on the US site for med cruises. So many differences. Uk peeps don't need booster and US do.

1 hour ago, rjp50 said:

Is this a cruise on the Mediterranean?  I don't see any mention of Covid testing requirements for the Mediterranean.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/mediterranean

PRE-CRUISE REQUIREMENTS

-> Click on “ALL GUESTS”

-> Scroll down to “COVID-19 TEST REQUIREMENTS”

Edited by SirWolf

9 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Sure wish they'd do that on the US site for med cruises. So many differences. Uk peeps don't need booster and US do.

In my opinion - it is just that the US MSC website is very slow to be updated for Med cruises.   The rules for other countries have been relaxed recently so a booster shot is not required (only for European cruises).

On 7/25/2022 at 8:38 AM, SeaSwirl66 said:

The US site now has excluded the comment about self tests not accepted.

Disembarked 2 hours ago. The cruise was wonderful!

Re the tests. We ordered ours via Nph, similar to Randox. You do the tests yourself and it doesn't have to be observed. We did the tests at 4pm on Saturday as sail away was at that time Monday. Tests took 15mins and we got the results and certificates almost immediately.  We printed the result at our hotel in Barcelona. Embarkation was at 10am and we were on the ship by 10.20. There were no issues with our tests.

Be sure to pack something white and something tropical for the theme nights

Also if you are embarking outside of the UK and disembarking in Southampton there will be an immigration check. We were only told the night before to be at the venue at 7.15am. We got there at 7.10 to be confronted by a huge queue and only 2 immigration control officers. It took about 40 mins!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi we are going on virtuosa on Monday next from Barcelona  I am just wondering do they scan the vaccine cert. My cert dosent seem to be scanning I got my booster 2 months ago when I checked my cert today and used a scanner on it they have not updated the date of the booster. I’m just afraid the problem won’t be fixed by Monday. The date on the cert is correct it’s the scanning date that is not working..