any recent Belize snorkel tours of Hol Chan Marine Reserve or Rendezvous Caye?

LakeTravisJK

We are coming into Belize City on RCCL in September 2022 and are deciding between 2 snorkel tours. Rendezvous Caye tour we read you don't get tendered in; the tour leaves directly from ship (wonder if that is true?).  Hol Chan Marine tour we don't know; are you tendered into port first to meet tour group? Also would like to know how good snorkeling is at these 2 places. Has anyone been in the last 6 months or year, to rate the quality of the coral & sea life?  We've read good about both, but a lot depends on how windy it is. We are comfortable snorkeling on our own and are curious too if after a guided snorkel on Rendezvous Caye you can go back out on your own during free time, prior to tour departure. It's been 10 years since our first time here, so we'd like to make the most of this day snorkeling.  Any helpful feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Rondezvous Caye  in early July, and have been there before.  We did have time after the group snorkeling to snorkel on our own (we were with Princess) .  I was not thrilled with this excursion this time.  When we were going out to the reef, we had to swim through an area that had lots of floating plastic.  Of course, I used this time to remove as much plastic as I could hold, but I didn't enjoy swimming through trash.  

• 8 months later...

Just back from a shore excursion to Hol Chan Marine Preserve.  Worse snorkel trip we have experienced. Boat picked us up from our ship.  24 people, who broke off into groups of 8 with guide.  No where on board to dip your mask into prior to going out.  Couldn't reach the water from the side to accomplish.  No ladder to enter, didn't want anyone to get hurt with fins on. Started out ok, till you were forced to snorkel through a big area of sargassum!  Too many people next to each other.  

Not many fish, coral was decent.  Others saw 1 turtle on other side, and I think a nurse shark.  I get it, you may not always see everything.

Current was super super strong headed back to the boat, and our group was the last and my husband and I needed assistance.  I would have cancelled had I known of the terrible conditions.  When I asked about the current, I was told it was due to the rain that they had.  Guess we are spoiled.

We have been fortunate to snorkel Maui, Oahu, Kauai, Key Largo, Great Barrier Reef, and Galapagos.  Oh, and one of the 3 outboard engines sucked in the sargassum and seized up.  Took an extra hour to get back, but things happen.  At least another boat picked us up over at Caye Caulker (think that was the name) while the tour got our lunch.  It was good.