Covid isolation after testing discontinued

wcGma

Does anyone have any experience/information about how Viking is handling Covid cases since they discontinued testing and masking policies?  The information I received when I spoke with the representative was not very specific. I have a few more days to decide about my cruise and would very much appreciate “real world” experience so I can make my personal choice. Thank you. 

The current Health & Safety policy states there is no daily testing but a person can request it if they feel sick or the crew can ask that you be tested if you are exhibiting symptoms.  Some recent Ocean cruises have reported people being quarantined and one cruise had so many quarantined that all the Q cabins were used and additional people stayed in their own cabin.  I don't know how long you get quarantined however.  Perhaps someone with that experience will respond.

We just returned from a cruise and on our floor there were at least three cabins whose guests were obviously being quarantined in their original cabins (we were on the 8th floor).  The occupants never left the room, could be heard coughing on the balconies, and their empty food trays were left in the corridors inside red bags for pick-up.  One on our floor was probably in there for ten days ... the others apparently started quarantine later; within a few days of the end of the cruise.  Didn't see any "evidence' of quarantining cruisers on other floors ... but had no reason to be there.  I'm guessing that those in quarantine voluntarily tested ... there was a lot of coughing, sneezing and nose flowing as the trip progressed.  We opted for masks most of the time on excursions ... especially on busses.

Thank you for your  information. Was there any notification by the captain on your cruise of Covid cases and requiring or strongly recommending  masking in public places, excursions, etc. From the information Viking told me over the phone, I believe they no longer have isolation cabins which I would guess means full capacity cruises. Where did your cruise go? I’m glad you were able to cruise and return home safely. 

• Like 1

We were on board Viking Venus from 17June to 15th July, which was just when they stopped the precruise PCR negative requirement and daily spit tests were dropped.  On 25th June we were both feeling unwell and asked to be tested.  They did a lateral flow/antigen test and a PCR test and we got the former results within 20 minutes.  My husband was positive and I was borderline, (the pink line being very faint). We were told to isolate and wait till the following day for the PCR results which confirmed we were both positive.  As we were both positive we were told to isolate in our own stateroom for 5 days.    We were released on 30th June with no further testing and continued with the second part of the cruise.  During isolation we were quite ill for 24-48 hours, we were monitored daily by the nurses on board but towards the end this was by telephone as we believe they had lots of cases and by then we were feeling OK although still coughing.  We were provided with headache pills and cough medicine and had temperature checks and oxygen saturation.   Having googled the incubation period which could be between 3 and 12 days we could have caught it on the aeroplane or the ship.  When we came out of isolation we noticed several red bagged trays outside doors on all floors.  The second half of our B2B  cruise started on 1 July and again part way through we started spotting the red bags.  

We felt that on both legs there were people coughing who ought to have asked to be tested as we did.  With hindsight daily testing and precruise negative tests may have prevented these numbers.  

• Like 6

I’m currently quarantined in my own room on the Jupiter for 5 days with mild symptoms. I did a home test and it was positive since I have an underlying condition and want to be monitored. Husband is negative now so has no restrictions. Coughing on balconies on either side of me, but they are leaving their cabins. We were one of the very few people masking and using the sanitizers. The medical staff does a PCR test so we are awaiting results.  passengers on the prior cruise said a lot of people were sick but Viking did nothing about it. Yes we knew the risk and could have just gone on as normal, but I did not want to spread it to others. Everyone has to weigh their risks. Good news. Spectacular weather from my balcony. 

Do they seem to be doing adequate sanitation on the Jupiter right now or do you feel it is relaxed?  I am concerned all these procedures put in place to start cruises in 2021 have fallen by the wayside.  How do they clean up everything between cruises with all these sick people?

57 minutes ago, traveljkkk said:

Do they seem to be doing adequate sanitation on the Jupiter right now or do you feel it is relaxed?  I am concerned all these procedures put in place to start cruises in 2021 have fallen by the wayside.  How do they clean up everything between cruises with all these sick people?

They ask people to wash their hands before going to the buffet, hand out wipes and have sanitation stations everywhere. Other than enforced hand washing, no one uses the sanitation, very few west masks . Cleaning looks no different than other cruises I’ve been on. I’m not sure how well they sanitized between cruises.