Heated pools on Independence?

Are the pools heated on the Independence? I have read a few articles about it being the first ship in the fleet with heated pools. We're contemplating changing our Dec 26th Nassau/Coco Cay sailing due to the potentially chilly weather. If the pools are truly heated, that would be a game changer. Anyone with recent experience of winter cruising on IOS? Thanks!

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Getting out there said:

Bumping this up because I can't find consistent answers. Is Independence pools heated all the time or just where it's departing from 

No.  They are heated when they determine it is required. 

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Don’t they use sea water for the pools? How do they heat them? Doesn’t usually need a couple of days to heat a pool? How often do they change the water on the pools?

They can heat fresh and/or sea water.  Sea water is typically used for guest pools but some ships can produce enough fresh water for a pool if the circumstances warrant it.  On Oasis class for example the Aqua Theater pool is fresh water for the benefit of the eyes of the performers.  

When ships are in colder climates such as Alaska the outdoor pools are heated.  That same ship when in a warm climate such as the Caribbean will not typically heat the pools.

Recently in a cold climate I saw an outdoor pool being filled.  A few hours later it was open and it felt like warm bath water.  It wasn't as hot as the hot tubs but it was quite pleasant to swim in the pool.  The air temperature was within a few degrees of freezing.  

• Thanks 1