Insight needed by the experts please...

waterblonde123

So I am new to this site , new to this forum, and new to SD. However, I am not new to cruising. My cruising " career" began  when i was barely a teenager aboard the old NCL ship , the USS Norway. Such a beautiful ship, ( ship , not " floating city" ) very classic , refined, and very " ship-like". The food was good, the passengers generally well behaved, and the crew personable. I learned a lot about the various islands, knowledge which has helped me over the years plan wonderful land -based vacations to islands I had grown to love , and avoid the ones I didn't. Years later , I wanted the same for my own kids. Thus we have experienced  all the various " Of The Seas" that exist , we have watched " ships" get larger and larger , our deck choice higher and higher, the service become less personal and the behavior of many passengers, especially when it coming to dining , worsen .I do not do herd mentality well , especially when it comes to eating.lol Nevertheless, my kids have learned a great deal about the various islands and an appreciation of the sea, although I sometimes wondered if they even realized we were on a boat. However, they had a great time and  claimed to learn a lot, so I guess those trips served their purpose. 

However, that purpose has been fulfilled .My DH and I have a very different purpose now and the SeaDream experience seems to fit the bill. We are super excited to be going on our first voyage in a few months( on SD2) and I cant wait to once again experience the feeling of being aboard an actual ship, especially one with great service and a classic,  yet playful, vibe.

Having said that, I have recently learned that our cabin is on the lowest deck( 2) and that it is one of the two closest to the dining room ( either 201 or 202). While I know that this dining experience will not be anything like our more recent ones, is it ok to be that close to the main dining area? I am not familiar  with the ship so I don't know if deck 2 is too low?? I can get a bit claustrophobic🤪and while I always love being in the center of the action, I don't necessarily want the action right outside my cabin every night. or will that even be the case?

Thought all you experts might give me some thoughts on this....if I need to request a room change , I guess I had better get busy. I am so hoping that wont be necessary?

Thanks a bunch!

Welcome to the world of SD. We have been sailing with them for 20 years or so, and we love it. 

I believe that your fears regarding deck two are not necessary. Barring inclement weather, the dining room is not used for breakfast or lunch - those meals are served outdoors. So the only time passengers might be in the dining room is between the hours of 7:30 and 10 p.m, and that would be only on some nights, because several meals are served topside. 

Through the years we have had staterooms on each of the decks. Our favorite is deck three because of its proximity to the pool and the gangway. But if we can't get deck three, we will happily take decks two or four. The cabins are identical, with the exception of a porthole on deck two and a window on the other decks, and I don't think that makes a difference. When we are on SD, we spend little time in our stateroom. If we want to relax during the day, we relax outside. 

Have a wonderful voyage.

• Like 1

Thank you so much...that is most helpful. I did learn that this cabin is not one that converts to a Commodore suite , so I guess that is good news as well. I was afraid that being that low would make any potential seasickness worse, but I believe the opposite might be true. Hopefully. Appreciate your thoughts.

And thank you , we will.🙂

Let me add to DW's comments.  You are right, the cabin that you have is the best if you suffer seasickness.  They always suggest low and midship, and that is exactly where you are.  We often take cabin 302, which is right next to the lobby, which can be busier than the dining room, and have never experienced a noise issue.  That location on deck 4, however, is a bit close to the piano bar, which sometimes can be noisy, but still tolerable.  We have had only one less than wonderful morning on deck 2.  We were tied up, which is always on the starboard side.  When we woke, it was low tide and all we saw out the porthole was the wall of the pier.  So now we always do port side, regardless of deck.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...