Comparison of Roamright annual and Allianz annual travel any suggestions?

TreeCity

I called the tripinsurancestore and they no long have cancelation for annual trips.  Has anyone used Roamright travel insurance? If so any problems. Looks like the two for annual are Roamright and Allianz.(They were the two that Deanna mentioned from the trip insurance store).  Thanks for any suggestions.

18 hours ago, TreeCity said:

I called the tripinsurancestore and they no long have cancelation for annual trips.  Has anyone used Roamright travel insurance? If so any problems. Looks like the two for annual are Roamright and Allianz.(They were the two that Deanna mentioned from the trip insurance store).  Thanks for any suggestions.

Disclaimer:  I have never used Arch RoamRight nor have I ever purchased an annual comprehensive travel insurance plan.  I continue to purchase an annual GeoBlue Trekker plan for emergency medical and medical evacuation.  I have looked at annual plans from Arch RoamRight, Allianz, Travel Guard, Nationwide, Travel Insured, Seven Corners, and Trawick Intl. I do have one of the Chase Sapphire cards that offers some travel insurance benefits. I have looked at cards from AmEx and Bank of America that provide travel insurance. 

My conclusion is there aren't any annual comprehensive plans that work well for me, and they are not worth considering for anyone without other medical coverage. All of the annual plans I am aware of have significant holes, and unless the holes are not important to you (because you have other coverage or are willing to self-insure some things), I doubt you will find what most people are are looking for.  The common issues I have include:

• Most plans do not offer adequate medical coverage.  All but one have $50K or less and the one with $100K is usually more expensive than purchasing individual plans.
  • Many of the plans provide secondary medical coverage.  I am on Medicare with a supplement (Medigap) so primary medical coverage is important.
  • None offer more than $15K of trip cancelation, and most offer a lot less.
  • All have quirks such as limits on trip length, no waiver of pre-existing conditions or others.

As you mentioned Tripinsurancestore no longer offers these plans, and Steve has told me why.  Two other internet travel insurance brokers often mentioned on this forum also do not offer these plans.

If you already have good foreign emergency travel medical coverage, one of the plans may work for you. Just be sure you read and understand everything.  And be sure they work for your situation.

A few comments on the two companies you mentioned:

RoamRight - Cons: $25K medical coverage, 30 day maximum trip, $10K cancelation.  Pros: Primary medical coverage, offers pre-existing conditions waiver.

Allianz - offers at least 4 different plans - Cons: $20K or $50K medical coverage, $0K to $15K cancelation, secondary medical coverage. Pros: 45 or 90 day maximum trip length, offers pre-existing conditions waiver.

If you elect to purchase a plan, can you let us know which one and why.  Good luck.

3 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

Disclaimer:  I have never used Arch RoamRight nor have I ever purchased an annual comprehensive travel insurance plan.  I continue to purchase an annual GeoBlue Trekker plan for emergency medical and medical evacuation.  I have looked at annual plans from Arch RoamRight, Allianz, Travel Guard, Nationwide, Travel Insured, Seven Corners, and Trawick Intl. I do have one of the Chase Sapphire cards that offers some travel insurance benefits. I have looked at cards from AmEx and Bank of America that provide travel insurance. 

My conclusion is there aren't any annual comprehensive plans that work well for me, and they are not worth considering for anyone without other medical coverage. All of the annual plans I am aware of have significant holes, and unless the holes are not important to you (because you have other coverage or are willing to self-insure some things), I doubt you will find what most people are are looking for.  The common issues I have include:

• Most plans do not offer adequate medical coverage.  All but one have $50K or less and the one with $100K is usually more expensive than purchasing individual plans.
  • Many of the plans provide secondary medical coverage.  I am on Medicare with a supplement (Medigap) so primary medical coverage is important.
  • All have quirks such as limits on trip length, no waiver of pre-existing conditions or others.

As you mentioned Tripinsurancestore no longer offers these plans, and Steve has told me why.  Two other internet travel insurance brokers often mentioned on this forum also do not offer these plans.

If you already have good foreign emergency travel medical coverage, one of the plans may work for you. Just be sure you read and understand everything.  And be sure they work for your situation.

RoamRight - Cons: $25K medical coverage, 30 day maximum trip, $10K cancelation.  Pros: Primary medical coverage, offers pre-existing conditions waiver.

Allianz - offers at least 4 different plans - Cons: $20K or $50K medical coverage, $0K to $15K cancelation, secondary medical coverage. Pros: 45 or 90 day maximum trip length, offers pre-existing conditions waiver.

If you elect to purchase a plan, can you let us know which one and why.  Good luck.

Thanks very much.

That's a handy summary.

GC

9 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

Thank you for your response. I do have the GeoBlue Trekker plan for the reasons you stated. I was just looking mainly for trip cancellation or interruption insurance, lost baggage etc. My United card does have some some travel insurance benefits. I need to go back and review and see if these will be enough. Again thank you for your thoughts and the pros and cons. They helped. 

37 minutes ago, TreeCity said:

Thank you for your response. I do have the GeoBlue Trekker plan for the reasons you stated. I was just looking mainly for trip cancellation or interruption insurance, lost baggage etc. My United card does have some some travel insurance benefits. I need to go back and review and see if these will be enough. Again thank you for your thoughts and the pros and cons. They helped. 

Given you have GeoBlue, the credit card insurance that I have looked at is not bad as long as you understand and can live with the limitations.  Some of them have much higher limits for trip cancellation and interruption than any of the annual plans.  All of the ones I have seen exclude pre-existing conditions for cancellation and interruption.  And the pre-existing conditions exclusion applies to you, your traveling companions as well as non-traveling family members.  This is the big gotcha for many once they understand the definition of a pre-existing condition. Also there are usually fewer covered reasons for cancellation and interruption than in most travel insurance plans.  Finally, trip interruption only covers your pre-paid, non-refundable costs.  It does not cover additional transportation and lodging.  If your United card is a "Visa Signature" card with trip cancellation and interruption benefits, than everything I have said is probably accurate for you except for possibly the annual maximum benefit.  

That said, we do rely on our Chase card for many trips.  But we take a lot of relatively short and inexpensive cruises with no flights or hotels.  So if Chase denied a claim, it wouldn't be a big deal.  We sometimes purchase trip specific insurance for longer, more expensive trips if pre-existing conditions might be a problem.  Sometimes we have a pre-existing condition and other times we do not.  It all depends on timing.

Edited by Jersey42
  • Like 1