Need Names of Best Restaurants in Old San Juan

Ruth

Will be staying in Old San Juan one night before a cruise...need names of one lunch and one dinner place....Good Puerto Rican Food....Old San Juan area.

Thanks, All the Best,

El Jiarita -for dinner-on Calle Sol St.-Good local food, Diner like atmosphere, popular with the locals.

La Bombera-for lunch- on San Francisco Ave-Great lunch and pastry shop, Great coffee, great prices very popular with the locals.

These two restaurants were highlights of our trip.

Harry

Hi Ruth.....we leave for San Juan in 9 days so I'll have to let you know when we get back....but just noticed you're from PC. I grew up in Dothan; spent so many, many days down in PC on the beach!! When we go back to Dothan for Christmas (family still there), we usually go "see the beach", nice drive to Panama City.

Anyway, just saying HI to someone close to 'home'.

Have a great cruise!

I agree with Harry ....only it's El Jibarita (with a b). Not fancy but real pr food. Try the mallorcas at La Bombonera for breakfast !!!! OMG - they were soooo good. There is also a tapas bar at the El Convento that is very very good. The ceviche is made with Chilean sea bass and the calamari was like no other I have ever eaten....melts in your mouth. Also lobster empanadas and others were good too. It is open air in the courtyard of the hotel under the 354 yr old picoteo tree hence the name El Picoteo Restaurant. Do not expect really spicy food like our Americanized Mexican food....their food is actually quite mild (unless you add hot sauce).

Will be staying in Old San Juan one night before a cruise...need names of one lunch and one dinner place....Good Puerto Rican Food....Old San Juan area.

Thanks, All the Best,

We were staying in Isla Verde last year, The hotel suggested Tamarind "A Latino Steakhouse and Seafood Bar " located at 317 Calle Recinto Sur, Old San Juan (787)723-1144. It was new and worth the trip . We had a very nice dinner.

A group of us are planning dinner at Barrachina. The menu looks excellent and the price is right. Is the restaurant in an area that we could do some shopping before dinner? Also, will there be taxis readily available later in the evening in that area.

Thanks in advance :)

Adele,

According to Frommer's, Barrachina's is much more than just a restaurant/bar. It is a jewelry store and a Bacardi rum outlet. There is also a gift shop and they sell perfume and cigars. Looks like there is a lot of other shopping nearby and only 2-3 blocks from our hotel! I'm sorry we will miss you for dinner, but we'll be stopping in for our Pina Coladas sometime.

Renee

My opinion of the best restaurants in Old San Juan (puerto rican food and others)

We love it there and just came back from a 4 day stay in December. In Old San Juan, a few fantastic-don't-miss restaurants are The Parrot club, DragonFly and Tantra. Also, we stayed at the El Convento, which is a beautiful historical landmark in Old San Juan. ls a 300 year old Convent that also once was a monestary and brothel (not at the same time though! :)). There is a great tapas restaurant there called El Picoteo

Right down the street from the hotel is another great restaurant called Ostra Cosa. "Aphrodesiac" inspired menu and the owner Alberto Nazario (his sister is Ednida, a famous recording artist) will sit at your table, take your menus away and order for you after he finds out what you like. Great place with romantic atmosphere - - outside patio.

Amadeaus for great Mojitos too

Archived