Pls answer questions for grandson

We have just booked a family cruise on the Navigator of the Seas. My 7 y/o grandson was online looking at everyones vacation pictures (we did a webshots search) and came up with a couple of questions that I couldn't answer as I have never sailed the voyager class ships.

1. The promenade parade...he decided this looks like mardi gras and wants to know if they throw beads.

2. The roller bladding track...do they have skates for rent and if so how much or can/should he bring his own?

Thanks in advance for any advice. This will be his second cruise but he was only five when he did the Sovereign of the Seas so he is also looking forward to being able to do the rock climbing wall this time.

Chris

They do not throw beads at the parades, but I do remember them handing out something to the younger kids to wave. Also, streamers come shooting out of the canons at the end of the parade.

I have never seen anybody with their own in-line skates, but why drag them along when they are free on the ship.

Don't waste space lugging your own roller blades. The track is norrow and winding. And half the time you are skating into a head wind. It is a nice novelty but if he is really into blading he may find it a bit frustrating. The skates that they have to use without charge will be good enough.

As for the parades... no beads and people keep their clothes on!:D

Thanks all for quick response. I knew I would be able to find the answers here. I am sure there will be many more questions as we are not sailing until 4/7/07. My daughter is very concerned about taking kids out of school so we are having to work around school calender (and try to stay away from scheduled hurricaine make up days).

Chris

I actually have a question on rollerblading. Are there any specific ship rules (that can be cited) that state you cannot use your own rollerblades to go around on the running track?

I mean, let's face it, if you love to rollerblade, that little area is absolutely not worth your time. It's maybe a 25 yard long oval (with a few bends, but nothing too big). Not exactly enough to get in a good workout.

I'm sure they probably don't allow this (fear of getting out of control and going overboard... hitting someone else, etc...), but I just wanted to check.

Yes there are rules that you can't roller blade on the running track. It's in the "Guest Vacation Policy" under "Disruptive Equimpent." Actually, it doesn't specifically mention the running track; it does say specifically that roller blades may only be used in the designated area. Imagine the hazards involved on a moving ship, open track, and people walking/jogging. It would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Let's face it, the roller blading "area" is a novelty and not meant as serious exercise on the ship. We actually did see people who had brought their own roller blades. They were disappointed, but used them on the little closed track anyway, and seemed to have a good time.

beachchick

Archived