Corfu Port pre boarding Covid test for Marella Cruises

Hi can anyone clarify the procedure for carrying out the Covid testing at Corfu port? I know everyone has to be tested but is the test administered by a medical representative or do you physically carry out your own test?  I do not like the idea of someone pushing a swab up my nose.

Thanks

Edited by bspade

You would probably do better asking your question on the Marella forum. 

As for the swab issue. Millions of us have had umpteen swabs taken over the last few years. 

What are you going to do if a swab is required ? Forfeit your cruise? 

1 hour ago, bspade said:

Hi can anyone clarify the procedure for carrying out the Covid testing at Corfu port? I know everyone has to be tested but is the test administered by a medical representative or do you physically carry out your own test?  I do not like the idea of someone pushing a swab up my nose.

Thanks

No one is “pushing a swab up your nose.” It goes in less than an inch and is gently turned. Not that big a deal - especially when you’re thinking first of the public health.

2 hours ago, bspade said:

Thanks

Our experience four weeks ago, it may have changed since..........................

Nobody anywhere worried about our Covid passes or the required previous day's negative test until we reached the cruise terminal in Corfu. And no worries anywhere about face-masks, let alone the Italian govt's "mandatory" N95) .

There our docs (incl travel insurance) were fleetingly checked, then a Covid test which we did ourselves - "sort-of " observed,  Handed the sruff back, then into the next room where we watched a useful video on loop until our names (or was it numbers?) were called asking us to board the port bus.

Sounds complicated,  but it was quick & efficient and the entire registration at the terminal was no more than about 20 minutes.

BTW ...........

Face masks weren't worn on the aircraft or airports or outdoors or in any buses or taxis that we used or anywhere on the ship, altho all ship's crew had to wear them.

We were unlucky in that we arrived in Corfu behind a stack of other aircraft. Delay in getting an airport bus to terminal and bedlam in the luggage hall - but those who arrived in the hour before us and a couple of ours after us said it was quick & easy.

But Corfu airport has a well-deserved reputation - the departure hall is mixed domestic and international and for the flight home the main grief comes after security - a line snaking round the departures hall to the immigration desks at the far end took us 90 minutes, much of that time fending off queue-jumpers. 

Super itinerary, ..........

Historic Koper was right by the port - small but delightful

Trieste was pretty boring, we didn't take the 2-hour bus ride to Venice cos we've been there before.

Split. Diocletians Palace in the old part is a 15 - 20 minute waterside walk.

Dubrovnik We took a taxi from the cruise port to the top of Mount Srd, then the cablecar down to the walled city, then taxi back to the ship.

Kotor is beautiful, berthed right by the old town. Great sail-in and sail-away too.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

Our experience four weeks ago, it may have changed since..........................

Nobody anywhere worried about our Covid passes or the required previous day's negative test until we reached the cruise terminal in Corfu. And no worries anywhere about face-masks, let alone the Italian govt's "mandatory" N95) .

There our docs (incl travel insurance) were fleetingly checked, then a Covid test which we did ourselves - "sort-of " observed,  Handed the sruff back, then into the next room where we watched a useful video on loop until our names (or was it numbers?) were called asking us to board the port bus.

Sounds complicated,  but it was quick & efficient and the entire registration at the terminal was no more than about 20 minutes.

BTW ...........

Face masks weren't worn on the aircraft or airports or outdoors or in any buses or taxis that we used or anywhere on the ship, altho all ship's crew had to wear them.

We were unlucky in that we arrived in Corfu behind a stack of other aircraft. Delay in getting an airport bus to terminal and bedlam in the luggage hall - but those who arrived in the hour before us and a couple of ours after us said it was quick & easy.

But Corfu airport has a well-deserved reputation - the departure hall is mixed domestic and international and for the flight home the main grief comes after security - a line snaking round the departures hall to the immigration desks at the far end took us 90 minutes, much of that time fending off queue-jumpers. 

Super itinerary, ..........

Historic Koper was right by the port - small but delightful

Trieste was pretty boring, we didn't take the 2-hour bus ride to Venice cos we've been there before.

Split. Diocletians Palace in the old part is a 15 - 20 minute waterside walk.

Dubrovnik We took a taxi from the cruise port to the top of Mount Srd, then the cablecar down to the walled city, then taxi back to the ship.

Kotor is beautiful, berthed right by the old town. Great sail-in and sail-away too.

JB 🙂

Hi JB

Thanks for your clear reply and the useful information. Its most appreciated.

4 hours ago, Billish said:

You would probably do better asking your question on the Marella forum. 

As for the swab issue. Millions of us have had umpteen swabs taken over the last few years. 

What are you going to do if a swab is required ? Forfeit your cruise? 

Hi Billish

I have turned to this forum as I couldn't get a clear answer direct from Marella. Was just looking for clarity  from someone who has experienced boarding at Corfu recently. If you read my post you would see that I already know a swab is required.

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No one is “pushing a swab up your nose.” It goes in less than an inch and is gently turned. Not that big a deal - especially when you’re thinking first of the public health.

Hi Flatbush

Having already carried out several hundred tests myself in the last couple this years I do not need reminding of the reason why I do so. Have you even been to the port of Corfu recently? If so you could have tried providing a useful answer to my post.

Hi Bspade, done the Corfu Boarding Malarkey back in May.

Procedure when you get to the port when entering the Booking in Tent, All paperwork checked to be correct. A specific number is given to you x 2 then into a cubical to see an independent medic who administer a covid test. While waiting for the results, you watch the Safety video, when either the drill has finished or during the video. Said doctor shouts all the numbers that were given out in that batch. Hopefully negative, and then you're good to go to Book in at the desk.

RR

30 minutes ago, bspade said:

Hi Flatbush

Having already carried out several hundred tests myself in the last couple this years I do not need reminding of the reason why I do so. Have you even been to the port of Corfu recently? If so you could have tried providing a useful answer to my post.

Cruise lines rely heavily on certified labs to conduct the pre-cruise Covid tests. In many  European ports it will be Eurofins. And perhaps more than the Port Authority, it can be the cruise line who determines with which lab they contract. As for Corfu, it’s no different than anyplace else: Who was doing tests yesterday may not be who is doing tests tomorrow.

In any case, if you have done “several hundred” tests yourself, you fully understand that the procedure is not exactly “rocket science” and whoever is doing tours probably has done far more than you have.

37 minutes ago, Rebel Rouser said:

Hi Bspade, done the Corfu Boarding Malarkey back in May.

Procedure when you get to the port when entering the Booking in Tent, All paperwork checked to be correct. A specific number is given to you x 2 then into a cubical to see an independent medic who administer a covid test. While waiting for the results, you watch the Safety video, when either the drill has finished or during the video. Said doctor shouts all the numbers that were given out in that batch. Hopefully negative, and then you're good to go to Book in at the desk.

RR

Hi RR

Thanks for your reply. This is very helpful and the sort of clear information I was looking for.

Appreciated.

bspade

• Like 2