Vacation escape on the Escape - LIVE report, 3-13 August 2022 from Civitavecchia to Greek Islands, Malta and Italy

Utas2

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Utas2 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Hello CC community,

This will be our return to cruising after the COVID-19 pandemic hit the seas, and I try to celebrate our long awaited vacation on NCL Escape with a live report.

Still hoping to catch an upgrade, but in any case we are perfectly fine with our booked Club Balcony Suite already, and excited to hit the Med from Civitavecchia to visit around the Greek islands of Mykonos and Santorini, Athens/Piraeus, and then to head to Malta/La Valetta, before touring along the Italian coast, stopping at Sicily/Messina, Naples and Livorno.

7th time with NCL, first time on the Escape, and a big fan of freestyle cruising.

Pre-booked the Vibe Beach Club on board, plus the perks provided by the promo package.

Stay tuned for the sail away on 3 August!

Utas2

• Like 11

And here comes the upgrade, NCL was teasing me to the last minute with this: bid was accepted and a H9 Spa Suite with Balcony awaits us on the Escape!

:-))))

• Like 10

The gamble of “making it or not” in 2022: we are in the hands of KLM to make it to Rome tonight via AMS. Unfortunate turmoil in the air travel industry that we have to accept as the rules of sudden delays. So far our plane from BUD to AMS is a “only” 25 mins delay.

EA74DB37-5391-4BE2-A51F-84E84E7DD3A3.jpeg

My brother and his girlfriend are on this cruise, also in club balcony. We are from the US, so they left on Sunday night to be absolutely 100% sure they are there for embarkation. Thank you in advance for posting, and I'm looking forward to following along!

Welcome CC community aboard from beautiful Norwegian Escape!
Here is a brief summary of the happennings and experiences from the first day of the cruise:

As we landed in Rome FCO airport pretty late (KLM did a very nice service, their cabin crew is one of the best), we pre-booked the Air Rooms hotel by HelloSky which is basically within the landside premises, although it was not easy to find. Quite a basic hotel.

After a short night we headed to the railway station at FCO, to take a regional train to Rome Trastevere, there to change to another regional to Civitavecchia. We bought the tickets online, costing 22 euro pp, that was by far the cheapest option.

The trip was a bit of a pain: the train was really packed, with lots of cruisers in board…..:-)

Once arrived to Chivitavecchia (approx. 90 mins trip) do not make the mistake we did: walking to the port. It was hot, I mean really hot under the sun. We should have taken the local bus for 3 eur pp….

So after a bit of a “sightseeing” and losing a few kilos due to dehidration we arrived to the port bus terminal, joining the queue of cruisers (there were other ships like Costa, MSC and Europa2 at port).

Check-in at Civitavecchia is fairly quick, first the check of Covid vaccination, then the drop off the baggage, then security and check-in. About 20-25 mins and we had the first cold drinks in the Haven lounge before boarding.

to be continued….

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MISSGJ said:

Hi! Great start, thanks for “taking us along.” Can I ask what your winning bid was for the Haven? 

Well, it was in the “strong” category….:-)

This is a public announcement in case you are to attend the CC Meet and Mingle: according to the latest info the event has been rescheduled for 11AM this morning (was planned at 12).

Place is the same.

Norwegian uses face recognition which is a nice development. Still, for the first entry you need to present the card, and that is perfectly understandable.

After boarding you are immediately directed to your assigned safety station for a quick recap of the safety features. Then you can head to grab a food or to the cabin. The cabins were announced as accessible at 13:30 hrs.

Some photos on the cabin, before I continue.

1ACA241F-CF14-4B59-B8AC-15AEE79ABDBC.jpeg

D2AC4806-6B4F-440C-9BE3-6C21FEFBC63D.jpeg

A9737C26-6E8B-489F-B111-46F82289CFE5.jpeg

E1120460-47C8-49FB-AE74-B0A4BADFD85F.jpeg

24592416-AC46-4ED7-A25D-B40BAE74388A.jpeg

4B6CF35B-468E-4726-B50C-98A37ED254AF.jpeg

• Like 1

To all my friends in Hungary who also follow this topic: yes, we live in a wonderful place, and I hope you follow me on this cruise. I have quite some experiences to tell. 

The ship is working at 80% full. And I started to like how the design works…

Edited by Utas2

5 hours ago, Utas2 said:

Well, it was in the “strong” category….:-)

Ha, well there you go 🙂

My brother is on your cruise in club balcony, and he was bidding into the Haven, but they did a "live bidding" scenario on one of the Haven suites. It told him there were something like 35 bids ahead of him on this particular suite, so he raised his bid. It then said he was still being outbid, and he was so annoyed by it that he withdrew his bids. (I started a thread on this the other day because I had never heard of this live bidding thing.) I think he was silly to withdraw his bids because he is no worse off if any or all of his bids get rejected.

But congratulations on the upgrade! I am hopeful for an upgrade to the Haven from club balcony in October (7-day Caribbean), so now I am extra interested in seeing your experience.

Edited by rbxlady
a word

I am running a bit late, but still let me share some first impression photos that were taken during the exploring of the ship.

After the EPIC and the Getaway I found that Escape has a concept of “compactness”, meaning that the different places are not huge, but still can hold quite a sizeable crowd, and they are really easy to navigate. The pool area is for instance is really not large, still, you do not have the feeling of overcrowded. There are so many places on this ship….

3203285D-BCAF-400B-B047-DEC1F08AEF07.jpeg

1A66FB54-76D7-4AE6-9AFA-738C09EA0652.jpeg

38257ACC-3F44-4D5B-A919-EA739FEB4AF4.jpeg

04D61CE5-52F6-4F04-A423-2FB10EEE01FD.jpeg

C2C0EA94-1DCC-4496-890B-4CD09956E633.jpeg

D7EC3169-41BE-4E8E-9D55-05C22133FDF2.jpeg

7C95FB94-662F-4627-B217-61B606156F94.jpeg

84F7CC6C-30AE-43CA-B580-1B9335D79C85.jpeg

E7F36065-7A08-403C-8885-74DBC5C4EB39.jpeg

50992B5F-609D-467F-BECB-C910E92603E9.jpeg

A69EB088-18F9-4438-A5E3-5D0F9AC7EE87.jpeg

• Like 2