Most controversial cruise opinion??

Elsammo46

20 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've cheated by booking a number of cruises with double and triple point promos.  That makes me "smarter" in one half to one third the time. 😎 

Same! After three cruises (it's in March) we'll be firmly in gold! But as you can tell, I don't exactly wait for status to pretend I know stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, billslowsky said:

We skipped the train and did a van trip up to the suspension bridge in the Yukon. Several stops along the way, including the touristy "Welcome to Alaska sign" photo op.  We also had a professional nature photographer as our trip guide, she was great.  Lots of info about what it's like to live there as a seasonal employee, how the people deal with intermittent doctors on site, etc.  Didn't have to deal with the people who hog the "better side" of the train in both directions.  Similar but still different.

Our first one we did the bus in skagway both ways.  Then we started doing the bus up and the train back.  Best of both for us.  we like the relaxing part of the train ride.  Having done it, we know that we see plenty from both sides.  DH like to stand out on the platform and take pics.  I do not like being that close to an edge, so I sit inside with the backpack.

• Like 1

I've noticed different behavior patterns in myself depending on the cabin type, ranging from inside cabin up to full suite.  In the full suite I just liked hanging around in the suite a lot more (and inviting my new friends up).  Whereas with the inside, I tend to have a much higher profile on the ship, never there in the cabin except to sleep, participating in game shows and appearing on stateroom TV.   Then if I have a balcony, lots more lounging around on my own balcony, vs. lounging in the pool areas (or participating in the pool parties).

I think it really depends on the itinerary.  I think I'm preferring inside for Caribbean, balcony for Alaska, suite for Transatlantic.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've cheated by booking a number of cruises with double and triple point promos.  That makes me "smarter" in one half to one third the time. 😎 

guess a lot of us are smarter by half...myself included...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

@wil e coyote I think this one may take over as the leader in about five hours. 

I'll be the first to bite - I agree 100% Dave994. I'd much prefer pay a higher rate at the front, knowing the staff is being paid a fair wage. I'll go on the record as saying I know the cruise lines (likely all of them) screw over their employees at every opportunity they get unless it's frankie boy del rio. 

I'd prefer the fare to just include the DSC.

A few years ago that is exactly what we did in Europe. NCL changed the charging structure to include the DSC.

Then not that long afterwards they stopped it. They never said why, but a logical reason is that bookings were effected. There are various factors to take account of (they used the change as a reason to sneak in some increased prices, for example) but I've always suspected that another factor is that it meant that people who removed the DSC could no longer do that, meaning that the cruise is more expensive for them.

I have no evidence to base this on, but I'd guess that a lot of people who complain about the DSC actually benefit from it due to being able to pay less than most by removing it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tetleytea said:

I'm confused by this.   If they've got a high Latitudes level, isn't it likely that they really do know better?

Not really cause what if they cruise on many lines(we have) but only tell you of their levels?  I have plenty of cruises but not platinum, because we haven't done NCL exclusively.  Just a thought.  😉

• Like 1

I don’t understand this thread at all.  It seems like the people that are arguing against the Haven are using that to justify their opinion is the better one because they are not elitists.....which in itself is elitist.  If you want to book Haven book it, if you don’t, don’t.  Sheesh. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, scooter6139 said:

Is it just me or is there a lot of negativity here for the Haven?  It's just another spot on the cruise ship.  Yes, it costs more, LOTS more on some cruises but you are obviously getting a lot more.  

It isn't that much higher on our upcoming cruise vs a Club balcony, which is why I upgraded.  Never been, wanted to try it out.  See what the luxury fuss is about.  Might like it, might not.  Will wait and see.  We usually only cruise once a year, so we like to make it special.  

I don't really have negativity towards Haven in and of itself,  I think it is about the "elite" attitude that many have once they book it.  It's your money , spend as you wish.  I only do inside center of ship center of section. because  1) I am terrified of the edge of the ship( yeah true story), I don't go to it, I will never do a balcony ( have had nightmares of rolling out the door on a rough sea day lol (I know I know)  ) So even club balcony isn't something I would try for.  But again you buy what you want. and I do too.  It is the remarks  that come from many ( not all) haven peeps of calling people lesser to them that is the issue.  for many.   Enjoy your choices!!  Happy cruising!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Shidah said:

I don’t understand this thread at all.  It seems like the people that are arguing against the Haven are using that to justify their opinion is the better one because they are not elitists.....which in itself is elitist.  If you want to book Haven book it, if you don’t, don’t.  Sheesh. 

The point is that indeed many have encountered Haven people who indeed think they are better people for it.  It isn't just opinion, it has become fact if you read the things I have.  I have read so many things from Haven people that I have never heard from club balc, or below.   I of course am in other groups( can't mention them here cause you know...) that totally put down anyone in a smaller room and on many occasion the need to simply come out and say they are "haven"  YMMV.  But as someone said, it is a controversial thread 😛    🙂 🙂 🙂   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, juju2454 said:

I don't really have negativity towards Haven in and of itself,  I think it is about the "elite" attitude that many have once they book it.  It's your money , spend as you wish.  I only do inside center of ship center of section. because  1) I am terrified of the edge of the ship( yeah true story), I don't go to it, I will never do a balcony ( have had nightmares of rolling out the door on a rough sea day lol (I know I know)  ) So even club balcony isn't something I would try for.  But again you buy what you want. and I do too.  It is the remarks  that come from many ( not all) haven peeps of calling people lesser to them that is the issue.  for many.   Enjoy your choices!!  Happy cruising!

I got you.  We get a balcony mid-ship by elevators...I grip the railing whether we are moving or not.  Most terrifying thing I did was the rope bridge in Northern Ireland.  Look up Carrick-a-rede rope bridge and you will see what I mean.  BUT I conquered that fear that day (only), is a bit easier now, but not much..

• Like 1

In people's defense, my wife did think this kid in the Haven was snooty about being in the Haven and we weren't.  I didn't see it, personally.  But she perceived that, too.

I just chalk it up to conspicuous consumption.  A classic marketing ploy that's been around for a long time, in lots of different product lines. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

I'd prefer the fare to just include the DSC.

Not me.  At the dawn for Freestyle, NCL advertised "no tipping," and used the DSC to make it work out for all.  (either I'm remembering that accurately or I just made the whole thing up)

1 hour ago, tetleytea said:

If you appear on Newlywed Game, for example, you will appear on stateroom TV.

This thread has become more entertaining than any of those silly cruise Newlywed Games.  Although, the plot has become quite convoluted and is approaching David Lynch level of complexity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Not me.  At the dawn for Freestyle, NCL advertised "no tipping," and used the DSC to make it work out for all.  (either I'm remembering that accurately or I just made the whole thing up)

What’s the difference between that and advertising no tipping and using the increased fare to make it work out for all?

Just to clarify, this isn’t something I feel strongly about. I just add the DSC myself, so it doesn’t make much difference to me (outside the fact that NCL would probably use the change to put dates up again). Just as a general point I’d rather service was just included in the cost rather than have all the confusion and arguments.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, juju2454 said:

Look, I am not the one who has an issue here, you are the one who as gone all kooky,  I just replied to your nonsense.  You didn't like the answers. I always find the one who starts the nonsense is the one who accuses the rest of it,.  Chill out Dr "Sea"  seriously , you're gonna pop a vein.  There is no hate only in your mind.   I don't block people for being silly.  And don't respond that's fine.  But if you are going to create a challenge of sorts don't get upset when someone accepts that and actually calmly responds.  I'm not the least bit offended by you but you seem to have an issue with me.  Your choice.  What the heck is with the  antipathy, another 50Cent word to try to make you appear better than others?

Only one under anyone's skin hun is me under yours.  I answered you reply.  sorry it didn't fit what you wanted to hear.  and that you hated defending Haven.  I don't defend them nor hate them, just get tired of the elite-ness of it all.

This is the reason people cannot say what they do or don't like, because there is always that one person who goes on the deep end( you) and then blames others.  I have no animosity towards you or anyone actually, just a conversation about things people like and don't like.  Funny others said similar things and you said nothing to them, just me.  Why is that?  

I always have happy cruising,   I wish you the same, and hope you survive your blow out to do so.

Peace out bro.

I'm glad we have no animosity toward each other. You didn't respond to my comments or misread it. No where did I mention elite and you ran with an argument that I didn't make. 

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Back when NCL was giving an extra point per day if you booked more than a year out (then nine months out) we racked up bonus points like a pinball score going up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Shidah said:

This x 1000. It's not a big deal. Different strokes for different folks.

Haters are just gonna hate. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

This thread has become more entertaining than any of those silly cruise Newlywed Games.  Although, the plot has become quite convoluted and is approaching David Lynch level of complexity.

I just call it people (like me) who are willing to embarrass the fool out of themselves just to get on TV.  For marrieds, it's called the Newlywed Game.  For singles, it's called The Bachelor.

Really, though, I like to volunteer at the karaoke bars and the game shows because I don't like to spectate.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Just as a general point I’d rather service was just included in the cost rather than have all the confusion and arguments.

Quite honestly, I never gave it a second thought until coming to CC where folks invent confusion and arguments.  🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Quite honestly, I never gave it a second thought until coming to CC where folks invent confusion and arguments.  🤣

Well, as a Haven cruiser who is Sapphire, I feel the need to point out that your comment blah blah...

Jeez, I want to kick my own a$$ just reading that line.  😜😲😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 9