Most controversial cruise opinion??

Elsammo46

5 hours ago, weltek said:

@Lunesse Agree with everything you said (including the self-lecture), except I feel like the jewelry shopping crowd is a minority thing. They definitely exist, though!

Well, sure, we have to experience the whole jewelry shopping thing on a cruise ... ONCE.  I have a lovely tourmaline pendant and earrings bought in St Thomas, probably in  the '80s.  That was great fun, but no point in doing it again.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Well, sure, we have to experience the whole jewelry shopping thing on a cruise ... ONCE.  I have a lovely tourmaline pendant and earrings bought in St Thomas, probably in  the '80s.  That was great fun, but no point in doing it again.

As a metalsmith myself, a I love a good tourmaline. I bet they are gorgeous and worth a lot more now! ❤️  Maybe that's why I don't need to go to seminars about them. Also my work is not dainty and mainstream, or classic elegance. I think I am figuring out my viewpoint here. *laugh*

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Lunesse said:

As a metalsmith myself, a I love a good tourmaline. I bet they are gorgeous and worth a lot more now! ❤️  Maybe that's why I don't need to go to seminars about them. Also my work is not dainty and mainstream, or classic elegance. I think I am figuring out my viewpoint here. *laugh*

The amusing thing about 'my tourmalines' is that they are very pretty, but I never wear them ... I'm 6' tall with broad shoulders and they're 'tiny and delicate'.  I probably would prefer your work!  But I do love having 'real jewels'. 

5 hours ago, skeeter195 said:

The public water from NYC has been a "secret" for many years when making pizza doughs their.  There have been places around the country known to buy bottled NYC water just for their dough.

Yeah, its a thing.  Apparently both pizza places and bagel places truck NYC tap water in because it makes the difference in authentic taste.  That being said, I am here to tell you that NYC tap water is nothing to write home about as far as ordinary drinking water goes but we are very glad for the local pizza crust and bagels.  Having tasted them elsewhere it must be true.  Now we just have to figure out what the heck happened to Guinness on the way across the Atlantic (not to even start about wine that tasted great in Europe and is unrecognizable in the US thanks to the FDA's silly tampering - HELLO wine does not harbor bacteria and therefore does not need preservatives/additives).

• Like 1

Controversial opinion:  I find jewelry annoying to wear and have never bought any on a cruise or darkened the doorway of Diamonds International.  I told my husband of 43 years not to waste his money on an engagement ring but I do like really nice furniture and houses so don't get your hopes up that I'm a cheap date, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I SEVERELY MISS the dancing waiters’ conga lines in the main dining room.  !!!  The unexpected dance-through, of all the nicely-dressed men, and hunting to find your own waiters amongst the pack…. I completely enjoyed those brief but entertaining minutes during formal dining.  

Now, the large dining halls and weekly assigned waiters are basically a thing of the past, but I remember them fondly.

• Like 3

On 8/10/2022 at 10:39 AM, fenny7cats said:

I dont like that you cant dance to all the good stuff from the 70'/80' etc until the nightclub opens at say 11.30 pm - but that's way too late - why cant I dance at 8.30 pm?  (and I dont want to dance to a mediocre lounge act)

This!  I feel like I miss out on all the fun stuff at night because I just cannot stay up that late.  I would definitely go dancing at 8:30pm.  

• Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 10:07 AM, graphicguy said:

Boy...do I feel like a "tramp".  I'm out carousing all hours of the night, early a.m.  I sleep in, sometimes to mid morning.  I carouse, gamble, and have been known to wake with a headache on consecutive sea days.

But controversial?  I dunno.  What's controversial?  I don't smoke.  I don't leave plates in the hallway.  I don't try to flush forbidden materials.  I don't cut line.  I try not to be a sphincter.  

Maybe when the GF and I cruise together and get "feisty" we might be a little "enthusiastic"?

Yes, can people please stop leaving their plates, leftover food, and trash in the halls. Looks so trashy when walking by. The room steward will remove it from the room. That just gets to me. Looks really bad walking down halls with that stuff sitting in it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, styxfire said:

Now, the large dining halls and weekly assigned waiters are basically a thing of the past, but I remember them fondly.

Although, as a couple, we prefer the anytime dining, when we used to cruise with our children when they were growing up (we have 5) we would have fixed dining every night with our own table and it was lovely.  I do get a bit nostalgic for it and the (now adult) kids still remember some of their favorite waitstaff.  They all grew up to be cruisers but nowadays we would need a table for 20 with the spouses and grandchildren!

• Like 2

Unpopular opinions:

• Sea days are my least favorite, and as such, I choose port intensive itineraries. 
  • I love walking the ship and outside decks early in the morning before it gets crowded. 
  • I dislike hanging out by the cramped and crowded pool decks during the day. Chairs hogs do not bother me.
  • I turned down the Free at Sea drink package! 1) keeps us from drinking too much just to get our money's worth, and 2) I don't think my husband and I would drink 28+ drinks on a 7 day cruise to equal the price of the gratuity. 
  • I always wonder if the Haven guests really have that much better time than us bargain hunters.
  • NCL cruising appears to be the furthest from "freestyle". I always end up over planning, making reservations before cruise, during cruise, stressing because reservations are not available, and during the cruise always checking my watch to make sure we are not late for reservations.  Perhaps, that's just a reflection of mega-ship sailing logistics.
  • And sailing a family of four in a single cabin is not so bad. We've done it 14 times. I call it family bonding and learning life skills of compromise and being considerate. 🙂  The kids think it is better than being left back at home.
  • Like 5

Our very first cruise we were four in a tiny inside on the old NCL Sea.  We had a blast.  Booked it on a lark after spotting the brochure in Costco and thinking a cruise would be an interesting experience for the kids.  Only intended to cruise once as a novel sort of adventure but the whole family got hooked, lol.  There were no Havens back then but I doubt anyone could have had a better time than we did in that tiny inside down in steerage.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mpcaruth said:

Unpopular opinions:

• Sea days are my least favorite, and as such, I choose port intensive itineraries. - Same with us
  • I turned down the Free at Sea drink package! 1) keeps us from drinking too much just to get our money's worth, and 2) I don't think my husband and I would drink 28+ drinks on a 7 day cruise to equal the price of the gratuity. - You would only need 21+ drinks on a 7 day 😉 
  • I always wonder if the Haven guests really have that much better time than us bargain hunters.

What about us bargain hunters that sail in Haven? Best of both worlds...

Since you're not big drinkers, our favorite part of being in Haven would be lost on you. On a full Haven ship it's always nice to be able to walk in to the bar, just give them a nod, and get your drink of choice delivered to your seat. Sure, you can settle on your favorite non-Haven bar, but we've always gotten better service and creative drink concoctions from the Haven bartenders. The regular bartenders won't stray from the printed menus - whereas in the Haven I can simply say 'make me something with cucumbers' and *poof* there it is.

I understand them not being able to make a drink if they don't have the ingredients, but to tell me I can only get a vodka martini at the martini bar when you have a full bottle of vodka right there is just silliness.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, mpcaruth said:
  • I turned down the Free at Sea drink package! 1) keeps us from drinking too much just to get our money's worth, and 2) I don't think my husband and I would drink 28+ drinks on a 7 day cruise to equal the price of the gratuity. 

Totally get turning down the free at sea package…I always get the free at sea, here is why

A glass or wine with dinner, and one more after dinner and you are done.  When you don’t think about your on board spending total, because you don’t have to, it is much easier to do. I have cruised on a budget, and had no problem making the choice about, I would rather have a drink after dinner at the piano bar than with dinner, so I will wait till then. Don’t think of the weekly total, think of the daily.  Think about how often you have sat on deck, and said a margarita would taste good right about now.  If you never have, then you are golden.

at home, I will have a single drink if we go to a steakhouse for dinner, or the local Mexican place.  But we don’t drink at home (non vacation times) as a rule. 

If you have littles, you may not imbibe in front of them.  But remember it also covers soda at $3-$4 each.

i would suggest looking at you beverage total soda and adult beverage at the end of your next cruise.  (Water cartons not included in package).  Then add in when you wanted one, but didn’t get it…how close are you to that gratuity total?

just offering a different angle that you may not have thought of before.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mpcaruth said:

Unpopular opinions:

• Sea days are my least favorite, and as such, I choose port intensive itineraries. 
  • I love walking the ship and outside decks early in the morning before it gets crowded. 
  • I dislike hanging out by the cramped and crowded pool decks during the day. Chairs hogs do not bother me.
  • NCL cruising appears to be the furthest from "freestyle". I always end up over planning, making reservations before cruise, during cruise, stressing because reservations are not available, and during the cruise always checking my watch to make sure we are not late for reservations.  Perhaps, that's just a reflection of mega-ship sailing logistics.
  • And sailing a family of four in a single cabin is not so bad. We've done it 14 times. I call it family bonding and learning life skills of compromise and being considerate. 🙂  The kids think it is better than being left back at home.

Your math doesn’t make any sense.  Drink package with free at sea is what 20 dollars a day gratuity?  That’s like 2 drinks.  Not 4 a day.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JCDCA said:

Your math doesn’t make any sense.  Drink package with free at sea is what 20 dollars a day gratuity?  That’s like 2 drinks.  Not 4 a day.  

But BOTH passengers have to buy it, so if one doesn’t drink, the other has to drink 5 a day or more just because of the tip costs.

I can see both sides of the economic argument.  For me personally, I can’t consume that much alcohol for that many days in a row.  So I like to save stomach space for the food instead, LOL.

Edited by styxfire
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JCDCA said:

I should have clarified it better: 2 people equals 4 a day

Edited by mpcaruth

1 hour ago, styxfire said:

But BOTH passengers have to buy it, so if one doesn’t drink, the other has to drink 5 a day or more just because of the tip costs.

I can see both sides of the economic argument.  For me personally, I can’t consume that much alcohol for that many days in a row.  So I like to save stomach space for the food instead, LOL.

Yes, stomach space for food!  Plus, I get sleepy when I drink and end up going to bed early and I feel like I am missing out.  At home, I drink a glass of wine to relax myself if I have had a stressful day at work.  I am already relaxed on a cruise.

We are all different in our preferences and priorities.  Can you imagine how boring the world would be if we were all the same?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WindinmySails said:

I think vaping should be allowed on the balconies and places that there are not that many people outside. I do agree with the smoking policies, but vaping outside...it disappears quickly.

Probably nothing offensive about vaping.  But it's easier to enforce a ban on it all.  You can't have people examining what you are 'smoking' before telling you that 'you can't do that here".  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Probably nothing offensive about vaping.  But it's easier to enforce a ban on it all.  You can't have people examining what you are 'smoking' before telling you that 'you can't do that here".  

This.  If they see any sort of cloudy discharge (not that kind 😒) coming out of a balcony, they need to shut that down with the swiftness.

its not that vaping is a fire hazard (more than using anything else with a Li-ion battery is), but it can’t be policed and tobacco smokers will start breaking rules…and that’s when people can get hurt.

I say this as someone who vapes.  I get it, it’s annoying but I go to the smoking areas like I’m supposed to (or at least next to them if they are crowded and extra Smokey)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 7:16 PM, mpcaruth said:

NCL cruising appears to be the furthest from "freestyle". I always end up over planning, making reservations before cruise, during cruise, stressing because reservations are not available, and during the cruise always checking my watch to make sure we are not late for reservations.  Perhaps, that's just a reflection of mega-ship sailing logistics.

I agree with this! To be fair, I don't think it is just NCL who creates the scheduling pressures, but NCL is the one touting "Freestyle cruising." I find the sea day Freestyle Dailies to be especially ironic - they say "Feel free to follow the sun instead of a schedule," but then have 3 pages of scheduled events!

Now, to be fair, I know that I can choose to ignore all those scheduled events, and just wander the ship as I please. I can go to the buffet or O'Sheehan's or call room service any time I feel hungry. So I CAN actually have no schedule. But there is a lot of pressure to make those reservations for everything from shore excursions to specialty restaurants to shows to art classes. It's an interesting dynamic...

3 hours ago, NauticalOtter said:

This.  If they see any sort of cloudy discharge (not that kind 😒) coming out of a balcony, they need to shut that down with the swiftness.

its not that vaping is a fire hazard (more than using anything else with a Li-ion battery is), but it can’t be policed and tobacco smokers will start breaking rules…and that’s when people can get hurt.

I say this as someone who vapes.  I get it, it’s annoying but I go to the smoking areas like I’m supposed to (or at least next to them if they are crowded and extra Smokey)

I get it too, and I follow the rules ...and I know on a ship, having an area just for vaping wouldn't be cost effective.  I don't think most get it that people that vape don't like the smell of cigarette smoke either.  

On 8/27/2022 at 11:31 PM, Sailing12Away said:

What about us bargain hunters that sail in Haven? Best of both worlds...

Since you're not big drinkers, our favorite part of being in Haven would be lost on you. On a full Haven ship it's always nice to be able to walk in to the bar, just give them a nod, and get your drink of choice delivered to your seat. Sure, you can settle on your favorite non-Haven bar, but we've always gotten better service and creative drink concoctions from the Haven bartenders. The regular bartenders won't stray from the printed menus - whereas in the Haven I can simply say 'make me something with cucumbers' and *poof* there it is.

I understand them not being able to make a drink if they don't have the ingredients, but to tell me I can only get a vodka martini at the martini bar when you have a full bottle of vodka right there is just silliness.

Summed it up, well.

ON any ship, on any cruise line, I don’t “hang” at the main pools anymore.  I might stop to watch a game they’re playing for a few minutes by the railing.  But, that’s about it.

If I want “pool time”, I’ll go to Spice H20.  Or, even better, gets a spa pass for the week and hang out there near their pool/Whirlpool.

Do Haven people have a better time?  I do.  Like anything else on a ship, if you are only concerned about what you spent on your fare, don’t book the Haven.

But, those of us who like the atmosphere, the extra service (just hand off everything to the concierge to take care of), the more service focused bar/restaurant, the priority show seating and embarkation/disembarkations, etc. it is worth it.

Plus, I usually make great friends on the cruise at the Haven bar area.

Nothing wrong with sailing anywhere else on the ship.  You just have to do way more in the way of scheduling shows, dining, getting on/off the ship, never being able to secure the “best seats in the house” for shows, etc

You can do all that.  And, I have done all that.

But, given the choice, I’ll choose sailing in the Haven each and every time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WindinmySails said:

I think vaping should be allowed on the balconies and places that there are not that many people outside. I do agree with the smoking policies, but vaping outside...it disappears quickly.

Well…I doubt very seriously that will ever happen.  Cruise companies, and actually most any public area, is not allowing, or strictly limiting smoking or vaping…..anything.  Not debating whether it’s fair or not.  It’s just a fact.

Don’t see it reverting in any way, shape or form.

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 7:16 PM, mpcaruth said:

Unpopular opinions:

•  

Sea days are the best!!! I love them...but hey, I'm glad you enjoy hitting the ports hard! 

I book the Haven, partly so that I do not have to deal with the "cramped and crowded pool decks." In April our ship was fully occupied. My husband and I enjoyed the Haven hot tub and only had to share it one time with one person. It was a lovely way to spend the time at sea, or after returning from the ports. 

For this cruise, my husband and I turned down the Free at Sea drink package too. He doesn't drink, so we got him a soda package. I have no package as I will steal a sip or two from his drink. Will I have a fruity drink? Yep - but I'll pay for it out of pocket...well with my shipboard card. Then we'll settle up with the Haven concierge. We won't need to wait in line at Guest Services, we'll just walk up to the desk and the concierge will assist us immediately. Plus, we'll know the concierge at this time and have a pleasant conversation. 

I understand your point about freestyle. We aren't really show people (I would like a show every once and awhile, whereas he doesn't). We can just let the concierge know and then be escorted to our seats, instead of waiting in line. Another little perk of the Haven. We book all of our restaurants pre-cruise, so that we don't have to ask the concierge to do this. All our shore excursions are booked pre-cruise as well. Then, we plan the slot pull we participate (or lead) and Cards Against Humanity. Those are the only times we have in our "planner." Otherwise, it's a series of questions: 

1. Thermal suite?

2. Food?

3. Hang on the balcony? 

4. Wander the ship?

5. Lose some money in the casino?

So, for us it sounds like our experience is a bit more freestyle than yours. We're just not into 95% of the planned activities on a cruise ship. 

There's a reason we have dogs, not kids. They can't go on a cruise with us! I wish we could take them, but I do enjoy not having to wake up early to let them out. 

I do have a few more reasons I find comfort in the Haven. You might not. Here are a few:

1. The Haven Restaurant is the best restaurant experience, except for a nice ma and pop place where you know the owners. 

2. The Haven Courtyard is very lowkey, relaxing, and uncrowded.

3. I can enjoy the lovely amenities of the ship - slides, shows, bars - then retreat to a quiet area for a book (haha), or more likely to a very comfortable king bed with free movies. 

4. Our butler will bring us free room service at any time. He/she will makes sure we have iced tea and water carafes in our fridge. 

As you can tell, I mentioned perks of the Haven a few times. Those are but a few reasons why I enjoy my experience on board. Maybe they don't appeal to you and that's ok! I'm glad you enjoy your interior room and have a wonderful time with the kids. That's what life is all about. 

• Like 1