Review of Dawn 2/12/06~Professional Viewpoint

seahorse

[quote name='RAC214']Hey folks,

I had a little post cruise depression and stopped by for a visit. After reading this thread, I decided to make my first post and become a real CC member. My wife and I, we're also on the 2/12 cruise on the Dawn in Romance suite 10726. I'm sorry Seahorse, but I have to disagree with you when it comes to Alex, the Concierge. We took the advise that I learned here and introduced ourselves on the 1st night. We only used his services for dinner reservations, but he treated us great. He stopped by our table at dinner a couple of nights to check on us. He left several messages on our phone during the cruise and even stopped by our room to see how everything was going. After a small dinner reservation mixup, he bought us a bottle of wine. We thought he was great. I have to admit, this was the 1st time we used the services of a concierge, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I don't think we could have asked for better service.

Our biggest complaint, is that we were so spoiled in a suite, we will never sail any other way again. Carmen, our Butler, was an absolute delight, and Alexander and Jalvine kept our room immaculate. All these people were wonderful. Carmen and Jalvine really seemed to care about "our" vacation. They both asked about our adventures of the day and we really had some nice conversations. Great people.

Food

This was our 5th NCL cruise, and I do have to agree, some of the food has gone downhill. But it's up to the individuals taste. My wife and I both loved Cagnys and Salsa. I loved Teppanyaki and my wife thought it was OK. We both thought Le Bistro was not as good as in the past and we both thought La Trattoia was disgusting. But hey, my wife is 100% Italian and we have some of the best Italian Restaurants here on the N. Shore of Long Island, so I'm spoiled. Lunches in Venitian we're excellent. I loved the cold soups after being daring and trying them for the 1st time. I do agree that the new menues need some improvement. Just my 2 cents,for whats it worth.

All in all, we had a GREAT cruise.[/quote]

Good for you,

I guess that he didn`t want to "come over" to our side of the hallway.:rolleyes: Our next door neighbors had the same treatment from him that we did.

I guess that he just "forgot" about us:rolleyes: Strange that he visited you and not us.....hmmmmmmm....Maybe something we did:confused: or said? Interesting.

We will be on your "side" next time.....maybe we will have a better experience.

All in all, we had a GREAT cruise too:D

That's why I felt compelled to write. We had complete opposite service from Alex and yet were only a couple of rooms away. I was shocked when I read your post on him. Maybe I intimidated him. I have that effect on people. I was cursed with being born big, bald and pissed off looking.:eek:

Well, I guess I'm not a lurker anymore. Next time I 'll say hello.

I only found CC a few months before the cruise and didn't want to crash the screwball party. It was our 1st time alone together in a few days short of 18 yrs, since my daughter was born. We stayed to ourselves and bonded again.:D As I said we had a blast.

Thanks to you and all of the CC members for the great info. I wish I found this sight years ago.

[quote name='RAC214']That's why I felt compelled to write. We had complete opposite service from Alex and yet were only a couple of rooms away. I was shocked when I read your post on him. Maybe I intimidated him. I have that effect on people. I was cursed with being born big, bald and pissed off looking.:eek:

I only found CC a few months before the cruise and didn't want to crash the screwball party. It was our 1st time alone together in a few days short of 18 yrs, since my daughter was born. We stayed to ourselves and bonded again.:D As I said we had a blast.

Thanks to you and all of the CC members for the great info. I wish I found this sight years ago.[/quote]

WOW.......I sure don`t remember seeing you in the hall:D

[quote name='RAC214']That's why I felt compelled to write. We had complete opposite service from Alex and yet were only a couple of rooms away. I was shocked when I read your post on him. Maybe I intimidated him. I have that effect on people. I was cursed with being born big, bald and pissed off looking.:eek:

Thanks to you and all of the CC members for the great info. I wish I found this sight years ago.[/quote]

You should have crashed the party but maybe it is time better spent bonding:)

As everyone knows from my posts I found Alex outstanding. I have cruised with many of the most loved Concierges. Ray Williams, Claudio, the famous Ruth and never had better service.

Keep in mind Ann was conducting a test to see how things would work for those who new nothing. She decided day two to out wait Alex and not call him until he called her. Her test her rules.

I took a different approach. I first introduced myself to Alex on the pier as we were escaping the madhouse. I took the time to make sure he new my face and what cabin I was in. I called him the next day to let him know I preferred to book reservations day by day. I took time to pro actively speak with him at the Latitudes and VIP party we were all at. Made an appointment at one of those parties for him to stop by and rework our excursions. In short I reached out to him and when he did not here from me on day 4 he then called to make sure I had my dinner plans set. By then we had established a good working relationship and it was game on.

Alex was everywhere. I saw him at dinner. I saw him as we headed to shows, I saw him as we returned from shore. To me like the Klaus of Concierges. Lots of chances to talk and make sure you are getting the services you need and have paid for.

A more effective test for me and Ann and I talked about it onboard would have been to pick up the phone and request the defects be addressed. Had they not that to me would have been a real issue. It was not my test.

Many recall the Star review thread - Worst Cruise Ever - mold on the refrigerator drain, bedding with B.O. The number one response why did you not do something to have the problems fixed.

The net Ann could have addressed her concerns with the cleanliness, condition, and service with phone calls but that would have effected the test results.

Don't get we wrong Ann had some real problems that she should not have had to worry about. That is unacceptable. The good news most of you don't have to conduct tests for your clients and should be able to have them corrected day one.

[quote name='shoreguy']You should have crashed the party but maybe it is time better spent bonding:)

As everyone knows from my posts I found Alex outstanding. I have cruised with many of the most loved Concierges. Ray Williams, Claudio, the famous Ruth and never had better service.

Keep in mind Ann was conducting a test to see how things would work for those who new nothing. She decided day two to out wait Alex and not call him until he called her. Her test her rules.

I took a different approach. I first introduced myself to Alex on the pier as we were escaping the madhouse. I took the time to make sure he new my face and what cabin I was in. I called him the next day to let him know I preferred to book reservations day by day. I took time to pro actively speak with him at the Latitudes and VIP party we were all at. Made an appointment at one of those parties for him to stop by and rework our excursions. In short I reached out to him and when he did not here from me on day 4 he then called to make sure I had my dinner plans set. By then we had established a good working relationship and it was game on.

Alex was everywhere. I saw him at dinner. I saw him as we headed to shows, I saw him as we returned from shore. To me like the Klaus of Concierges. Lots of chances to talk and make sure you are getting the services you need and have paid for.

A more effective test for me and Ann and I talked about it onboard would have been to pick up the phone and request the defects be addressed. Had they not that to me would have been a real issue. It was not my test.

Many recall the Star review thread - Worst Cruise Ever - mold on the refrigerator drain, bedding with B.O. The number one response why did you not do something to have the problems fixed.

The net Ann could have addressed her concerns with the cleanliness, condition, and service with phone calls but that would have effected the test results.

Don't get we wrong Ann had some real problems that she should not have had to worry about. That is unacceptable. The good news most of you don't have to conduct tests for your clients and should be able to have them corrected day one.[/QUOTE]
Thinking of great concierges we loved Ray. He was our first experience with one: wow! We also loved Carlos on the Sea, I don't know where he is now, but sure was impressed. Shoreguy, do you or anyone know who the concierge is on the Sun?

I don`t know why Alex continues being made an issue here. It wasn`t for me after a while. I did not need him. If I did I would have called him. I made dinner reservations myself when I needed them....no problem.

My so-called "test" was to see when he would contact us. Didn`t happen, so it became a joke. I don`t want to reiterate the entire "problem". My main statement being "He does not walk on water";)

I wouldn`t go to him for the "issues" with the suite. I explained why I did not. I cleaned it myself to my satisfaction, except no vacuum:o I am not high maintenance and I don`t like to get anyone in trouble and be upset at my expense. I would feel really bad facing them every day. If that is a "problem" then it is mine. It was on my comment sheet.

There was no way anything could have been done with the food either, or some of the less then good service that I made allowances for. Or the broken and worn furniture and soft goods.

As I have said before many times.......I had a great cruise:D

[B]Cosmopolitan[/B]--interesting that you mentioned the upsell. We would have loved that, but the best offer we got was 20% off. In addition to the $16,000 already paid for our series of suites/stateroom, we would have needed to pay an additional $11,000. :eek:

SOOOO not happening. Both GVs have been gone for a while, so at least I'm no longer making myself crazy looking every day, and hoping for a good offer from the upsell fairy.

While we would have LOVED the GV, we think we'll have a great time with the suites/stateroom we have. My biggest concern is that our friends all have an excellent time! Thanks for the tips on life in an AA--it will help.

[B]Ada[/B]--my thanks to you for providing specifics about "our" suite. PamperHer saw your note about the lounge chair in the suite, and I suspect he'll be claiming that as his spot. And with a Butler, I can't even pull my "Honey, would you get me xxxx?" and then jump into the preferred seating once he stands up. Oh, no!

Best regards, Carla

[quote name='pamperme'][B]Cosmopolitan[/B]--interesting that you mentioned the upsell. We would have loved that, but the best offer we got was 20% off. In addition to the $16,000 already paid for our series of suites/stateroom, we would have needed to pay an additional $11,000. :eek:

While we would have LOVED the GV, we think we'll have a great time with the suites/stateroom we have. My biggest concern is that our friends all have an excellent time! Thanks for the tips on life in an AA--it will help.

Best regards, Carla[/quote]

WOW....$11,000.00.... that's another cruise:eek:

Don't worry, your friends will have a great time.
Your suite is larger than you can imagine. We thought it was much larger than the 9th deck AA.

You can invite your friends in to dine/party with you, you will have plenty of room and food!!!

Have a wonderful cruise:) :)

[quote name='seahorse']I don`t know why Alex continues being made an issue here. It wasn`t for me after a while. I did not need him. If I did I would have called him. I made dinner reservations myself when I needed them....no problem.

My so-called "test" was to see when he would contact us. Didn`t happen, so it became a joke. I don`t want to reiterate the entire "problem". My main statement being "He does not walk on water";)

I wouldn`t go to him for the "issues" with the suite. I explained why I did not. I cleaned it myself to my satisfaction, except no vacuum:o I am not high maintenance and I don`t like to get anyone in trouble and be upset at my expense. I would feel really bad facing them every day. If that is a "problem" then it is mine. It was on my comment sheet.

There was no way anything could have been done with the food either, or some of the less then good service that I made allowances for. Or the broken and worn furniture and soft goods.

As I have said before many times.......I had a great cruise:D[/quote]

I liked your "test" and think it is commendable that you "stuck with it" and didn't succumb to the easy "dial the butler/concierge/HD extension".

You must be a GREAT, well-informed TA and I'm sure your clients appreciate that. (We do).
Good for you!

Oh, and thanks for the "heads-up" on the mattress check. I'm afraid to look:eek:

Hi Ann,

I do think you should have complained when the room had stuff that was broken. Hopefully someone from NCL will read this. I am sorry the food has gone downhill...I wonder why. Maybe its to make up for the cost of fuel...but IMO its not a good way to make the guests happy...and the little things do make a difference. Thanks for posting....

[quote name='smeyer418']Hi Ann,

I do think you should have complained when the room had stuff that was broken. Hopefully someone from NCL will read this. I am sorry the food has gone downhill...I wonder why. Maybe its to make up for the cost of fuel...but IMO its not a good way to make the guests happy...and the little things do make a difference. Thanks for posting....[/quote]

smeyer418 ~

I didn't think that the food went "downhill"...the menus/choices did!

I can't compare the buffet food though..I try not to do buffet.

Shoreguy says this is a "trial", let's hope so!

[quote name='pamperme']
[B]Ada[/B]--my thanks to you for providing specifics about "our" suite. PamperHer saw your note about the lounge chair in the suite, and I suspect he'll be claiming that as his spot. And with a Butler, I can't even pull my "Honey, would you get me xxxx?" and then jump into the preferred seating once he stands up. Oh, no!

Best regards, Carla[/quote]

Carla -

Sounds like he needs to look at his screen name "PamperHer" and do as it says ..... :D

Ada

[quote name='smeyer418']Hi Ann,

I do think you should have complained when the room had stuff that was broken. Hopefully someone from NCL will read this. I am sorry the food has gone downhill...I wonder why. Maybe its to make up for the cost of fuel...but IMO its not a good way to make the guests happy...and the little things do make a difference. Thanks for posting....[/quote]

Hi Sid,

Long time 'No see";)

As Cosmo said not down-hill .......less variety.....smaller protions.....really missing the "Good Stuff"........wait........maybe that is "down hill":rolleyes:

What my DH said ,"What I did have tasted good when I could find something that I wanted to have."

My tool box is coming on with me next time........I really do have one of my own:cool:

I just got back from the Dawn yesterday. It was a lovely cruise. We all had a blast.

In regard to the food issue, it was much better than my last Oct cruise on the dawn, but not as good as last Feb cruise. Basically it was around the selections in the main dining and the buffet was not that great. However, on a good note again it was much better than in Oct. Believe it or not there was a better selection than in Oct and the food was much better. Last Oct, the desserts were lacking, and the service was to.

I also talked to the crew who did say they were trying this all out. Hopefully they will listen to all who voiced their opinion and bring it up a notch.

Would this stop me from cruising her again, I think not. It still was the best cruise that I have been on. Did I go hungry, never.

As said before, many crew on the Dawn read these boards, so let your opinions be heard.

TLC

[quote name='tigerlilycruiser12']I just got back from the Dawn yesterday. It was a lovely cruise. We all had a blast.

In regard to the food issue, it was much better than my last Oct cruise on the dawn, but not as good as last Feb cruise. Basically it was around the selections in the main dining and the buffet was not that great. However, on a good note again it was much better than in Oct. Believe it or not there was a better selection than in Oct and the food was much better. Last Oct, the desserts were lacking, and the service was to.

I also talked to the crew who did say they were trying this all out. Hopefully they will listen to all who voiced their opinion and bring it up a notch.

Would this stop me from cruising her again, I think not. It still was the best cruise that I have been on. Did I go hungry, never.

As said before, many crew on the Dawn read these boards, so let your opinions be heard.

TLC[/quote]

Welcome back Marie. I can not believe that it was worse in October. I know that you mentioned it before. Being that it was "better" for you last week gives me optimism.

Due to the Vegetarian selections.......did I go hungry?.......yes, sometimes. But a diet wont`t do me any harm;)

[quote name='seahorse']Welcome back Marie. I can not believe that it was worse in October. I know that you mentioned it before. Being that it was "better" for you last week gives me optimism.

Due to the Vegetarian selections.......did I go hungry?.......yes, sometimes. But a diet wont`t do me any harm;)[/quote]

Don't worry Ann. I got an update and they are working on more options for you in the NCL Test Kitchen. :D

[quote name='shoreguy']Don't worry Ann. I got an update and they are working on more options for you in the NCL Test Kitchen. :D[/quote]

Now THAT I could believe:D .Par for the course on what they think of vegetarians:rolleyes:

Do you think that is a new eggplant dish:p ?

Ann

We can only hope that next year will be it will be taken up that notch. Sounds as if you had a great cruise to. I am glad that you did. I am thinking of booking the 11 day as we bought into the NCL bonus rewards program. I never got to see barbados that much so this will be my chance, as well as seeing two new islands.

As you know the organic rest. was not doing well so they dicontinued it. Hey who knows maybe they will bring it back next year.

Talk about diets, back to mine this week. Too many goodies last week and now I will have to do double time at the gym. :eek:

Marie

Butler and Concierge

Alex was our Concierge. I know everyone loves Alex.....but.....I was a little disturbed when we did not hear from him except the form letter given at the beginning.........no calls.......no letters........no "Is everything OK. Can I do something for you?" (gosh, I sound like a jilted date:rolleyes: ). We do not like to be "fawned over" but a little attention would have been nice.

It became a "test" after a while and a "joke" with the suite next door. The one time that we asked for dinner reservations at Salsas, he gave us the times that I got when I called down to the desk .

and:

I don`t know why Alex continues being made an issue here. It wasn`t for me after a while. I did not need him. If I did I would have called him. I made dinner reservations myself when I needed them....no problem.

The Conciereges only introduce themselves to those in AB and higher and do have an assistant. It is up to you to write a letter or card to the Concierge introducing your self and stating how pleased you are to be on the ship. This is how it is done on the Dawn. Or you could stop by the Conceirge's office and introduce your self and chat. It is the Butler's job to give you special attention.

You mentioned above that the Concierge could only get you restaurant times that you had previoulsy called the restaurant for. For a paying restaurant they are going to give you all the open times as they want your money. What the Conceirge can do is get you a reservation at the free/main restaurants which do not generally take them unless you make an arrangement with the Maitre D and come early.

The Conciereges only introduce themselves to those in AB and higher and do have an assistant. It is up to you to write a letter or card to the Concierge introducing your self and stating how pleased you are to be on the ship. This is how it is done on the Dawn. Or you could stop by the Conceirge's office and introduce your self and chat. It is the Butler's job to give you special attention. You menntioned that the Concierge could only get you restaurant times that you had previoulsy called the restaurant for. For a paying restaurant they are going to give you all the open times as they want your money. What the Conceirge can do is get you a reservation at the free/main restaurants which do not generally take them unless you make an arrangement with the Maitre D and come early.

Sorry.......I do know what a concierge does, had them before. Write a letter and tell them how pleased I am to be on the ship:eek: :confused: I believe the protocol would be just the opposite:rolleyes:

We asked for reservations for Salsas, free restaurant.

I believe I have said all that I am going to say about Alex. It is a non-issue at this point.

I am more concerned about the food, service and cleanliness.

Jeanne S - The concierge (Alex) visited with us upon boarding and we were in an AC. He also checked in with us frequently - and we didn't ask for very much - other than a standing reservation at Impressions (due to food allergy issues).

As for cleanliness, we had an issue with our room steward. The coffee pot/grounds were always dirty and not cleaned out. At least one mug was missing or both were dirty. We just cleaned it up ourselves (along with straightening out the room that wasn't done by the steward). We're not messy people and it's easy enough for me to keep up. We just didn't give the steward any "extra" tip.

Archived