Taking nephew on cruise

ashkir

I'm going to Alaska in about 45 days. I'm considering adding my nephew who's ten to this trip. He's always wanted to go on an adventure. He doesn't have a passport. But, does have a birth certificate so I know I can't do the Canadian excursions with him. But, that's fine! We weren't planning on them anyways (I did them last time I went to Alaska). 

Because he is my nephew and not my child, and I'm not his guardian, what documentation do I need in order to take him with me?

Both of his parents are in prison. His grandma has custody (my mom) and his birth certificate. 

• Like 2

You will need a certified copy of the court order granting the grandmother custody, and a notarized letter from the grandmother saying you have her permission to take the child out of the country, and also to make medical decisions for the child.  His birth certificate is all he needs, but if you can, get a state ID card (typically like a DL, but not for driving, given out at DMV).  Then you will need the same covid documentation as yourself.  May be cutting it a bit fine on adding another person.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ashkir said:

I'm going to Alaska in about 45 days. I'm considering adding my nephew who's ten to this trip. He's always wanted to go on an adventure. He doesn't have a passport. But, does have a birth certificate so I know I can't do the Canadian excursions with him. But, that's fine! We weren't planning on them anyways (I did them last time I went to Alaska). 

Because he is my nephew and not my child, and I'm not his guardian, what documentation do I need in order to take him with me?

Both of his parents are in prison. His grandma has custody (my mom) and his birth certificate. 

I always bring a note and guardianship documents on all of the cruises I’ve taken my granddaughters on, even though I’ve never been asked on any of the cruises to present them…better safe than sorry. 

When my daughter was little she and I cruised MANY times together (she was Diamond in her own right before she ever turned 18)  and I’ve always brought a letter from her dad…also was never asked for documentation on any of the cruises. 

I only bring a notarized letter from the parent or guardian authorizing me to take the child on the cruise.  I also bring a notarized power of attorney in order to make medical decisions if necessary.  Granted I have only taken kids on 3 cruises, but I was never asked for the letter and thankfully didn't need to use the power of attorney.