Cape Town to Bangkok Jan 2023 - Pre and Post O Land Tours

Sebbiesgrammy

We're excited to be taking our first O cruise in January --CapeTown to Bangkok with pre and post tours added and provided by O.

Since Nautica has done same or similar itineraries for a number of years, I'm curious if anyone has experience with either the Pre tour in CapeTown "Wineries and Wildlife" or the Post Tour "Essence of Bangkok"?  I've already seen comments about the Aquila Game Reserve being more like a zoo than a safari destination, and we are ok with that at this point.  We're a bit older and don't do much venturing off on our own as much as we once did.

On the Winelands tour, I'm wondering if we will be offered the opportunity to purchase wines at the various wineries on the tour and have them delivered to the ship???  I know that O now has a 6 bottle maximum to bring on board but does this apply to on tour purchases as well?

Any experience with either tour is much appreciated.  I always get great advise from CC...

We did the "Wineries and Wildlife" post extension in 2017 because it was offered as a "free" benefit. You could buy wine to bring back to the ship but don't recall if they would deliver.  As far as I know, you can still bring on as much wine as you like for consumption in your cabin or $25. corkage fee in a restaurant. The long bus drive to Aquila is not worth your time unless you are desperate to see a few relocated African animals on their own continent. If you are staying at the Cullinan, it is convenient to explore Cape Town using the HOHO bus. Cape Town is stunningly beautiful with much to see and enjoy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

We did the "Wineries and Wildlife" post extension in 2017 because it was offered as a "free" benefit. You could buy wine to bring back to the ship but don't recall if they would deliver.  As far as I know, you can still bring on as much wine as you like for consumption i cabin or $25. corkage fee in a restaurant. The long bus drive to Aquila is not worth your time unless you are desperate to see a few relocated African animals on their own continent. If you are staying at the Cullinan, it is convenient to explore Cape Town using the HOHO bus. Cape Town is stunningly beautiful with much to see and enjoy.

Thanks much. Like your suggestion about avoiding the long bus ride and staying closer to the city. Lots to do and see there.  We are at the Cullinan and will look for another day trip from there.  BTW, we booked an extra might there for about $200 US.  Oceania quoted us $600+ for the same night. Of course, their price includes transport from airport to hotel but hotel has a shuttle for less than $75 and taxi is even less. 

4 hours ago, Sebbiesgrammy said:

.....On the Winelands tour, I'm wondering if we will be offered the opportunity to purchase wines at the various wineries on the tour and have them delivered to the ship???  I know that O now has a 6 bottle maximum to bring on board but does this apply to on tour purchases as well?....

The six bottle limit is merely a CYA statement by O. We (and many other O regulars) often bring a case on board at embarkation and have never been denied. (Every O F&B mgr I’ve asked says “no problem”.”

As for O tours/hotels, we’ve done Nautica from Cape Town and DIYed a custom made pre-cruise hotel (Table Bay Hotel also used by O) and a three day Safari (Kruger National Park) plus one day Cape Town and one day Wine Country guided tour all arranged by a well respected safari agency located in Ontario, Canada that also does packages for our favorite big box store (got us a 10% discount on the custom package).

For a couple of extra phone calls, we got far more than O would provide for much much  less money.

• Like 1

Hi

I live in Cape Town and organising your own tour would be much cheaper! There are lovely wine farms 20 minutes from the city center in the Southern Suburbs - Buitenverwachting, High Constantia, Groot Constantia, Constantia Glen, Beau Constantia,etc. The HOHO bus stops at a few of them and most of them will deliver to your home address. Also, don't forget to go up Table Mountain!

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, pjtkl said:

Hi

I live in Cape Town and organising your own tour would be much cheaper! There are lovely wine farms 20 minutes from the city center in the Southern Suburbs - Buitenverwachting, High Constantia, Groot Constantia, Constantia Glen, Beau Constantia,etc. The HOHO bus stops at a few of them and most of them will deliver to your home address. Also, don't forget to go up Table Mountain!

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much!! Great suggestions from a local very much appreciated.  I certainly plan on using the HOHO as it does stop at many of our must see places. 

22 hours ago, pjtkl said:

Hi

Hope this helps.

It's pretty easy (or it was 2 years ago) to just take an Uber to a winery -- then call another to pick you up and hit the next one.