Costa Maya Chacchoben min. age why?

Ruthie123

The closer, shorter Mayan ruin excursion offered by Disney to Chacchoben has a minimum age of 5 years old while the longer, further away ruin excursion to Kohunlich is for "all ages". I prefer to go on the Chacchoben excursion with our 6 and 3 year old. I'm told there are "strict" age requirements for excursions, yet when I called the Mexico tourist info number they (Disney) referred me to, I was told that the ruin sites (gov.) allow all ages and couldn't figure out why a 3 year old couldn't go. Ideally, we want to go on the shorter (Chacchoben) excursion so that we can enjoy the port for a while. Anybody have an answer to this? I prefer not to wait until we're on board to figure this out.

You have an excellant question. I dont know the answer for sure but I have an idea. We did the Chacchoben ruins in December, it was awesome!! But it was rough rocky terrain in some places, you do have to climb up a steep set of stairs of an old ruin in order to see the rest of them. This would be very hard for a child, they are big steps, no rails to hold on to either. No strollers would make it anywhere there. It is a lot of walking and listening to the guides. I think the idea is for safety mostly but also younger kids would be bored, and there is no place for them to run and play at all. I think that is why they have the age limit. I personally would not feel good taking my kids if they were young, i would be afraid they would get hurt and no medical help available.

Hope you can work things out, it was the best tour we have ever done on any cruise and we have done 10 so far.

mom x4,grandma x4

• 1 month later...

I just went on that tour and there were people with small children and they did okay. We booked the tour with David and Ivan. It was fabulous. If you are interested look under ports of call Costa Maya on the cruise critic site. That is where we found them and got the information to book the excursion:D

I just went on that tour and there were people with small children and they did okay. We booked the tour with David and Ivan. It was fabulous. If you are interested look under ports of call Costa Maya on the cruise critic site. That is where we found them and got the information to book the excursion:D

http://www.chacchobenruins.com

The closer, shorter Mayan ruin excursion offered by Disney to Chacchoben has a minimum age of 5 years old while the longer, further away ruin excursion to Kohunlich is for "all ages". I prefer to go on the Chacchoben excursion with our 6 and 3 year old. I'm told there are "strict" age requirements for excursions, yet when I called the Mexico tourist info number they (Disney) referred me to, I was told that the ruin sites (gov.) allow all ages and couldn't figure out why a 3 year old couldn't go. Ideally, we want to go on the shorter (Chacchoben) excursion so that we can enjoy the port for a while. Anybody have an answer to this? I prefer not to wait until we're on board to figure this out.

I just did this tour (with David and Ivan) but never-the-less I can understand why there is a min age. First it's quite a distance from the cruise terminal, then the whole tour is walking over rough and rocky terrain. It's very hot and in some spots there isn't any shade. I think you also need to think about the other people on the tour. A three year old (even your six year) may not be up to this. It is quite a tour. Can you carry both children if need be? Because you may need to if they both become tired

I hope you will reconsider your choice. Maybe take them to the pools near the ship. I'm sure they will enjoy them more. I think you should think about waiting until they are older and can appreciate and enjoy the tour.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Kohunlich in December and an 8 year old was a little restless -- I would not take any child younger -- very far away on a great bus, but the area is imense and there is a fairly steep hill to get to some steps to climb to see the masks and some other items. We left early and our ship had to wait for us -- that long.

I think I would take a taxi into town & let them play on the beach and do some shopping in port.

wait until they are 8 or so -- get more out of the ruins:)

Archived