Please help me choose which Panama Canal Cruise

Please help me choose which Panama Canal Cruise to take in April 2023.  Except for cruising out of Fort Lauderdale, all the ports for both cruises will be new.

Both cruises visit Cartagena, Colombia and Colon, Panama and end in Los Angeles.

The 14 night Brilliance cruise sails from Fort Lauderdale on April 3rd and stops at Puntarenas, Costa Rica; Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and Ensenada, Mexico.

The 15 night Radiance cruise sails from Galveston on April 21st and stops at George Town, Grand Cayman; San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

My husband and I prefer ports that allow us to just safely wander around.

Thanks for you help!

8 minutes ago, 2travelcats said:

Please help me choose which Panama Canal Cruise to take in April 2023.  Except for cruising out of Fort Lauderdale, all the ports for both cruises will be new.

Both cruises visit Cartagena, Colombia and Colon, Panama and end in Los Angeles.

The 14 night Brilliance cruise sails from Fort Lauderdale on April 3rd and stops at Puntarenas, Costa Rica; Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and Ensenada, Mexico.

The 15 night Radiance cruise sails from Galveston on April 21st and stops at George Town, Grand Cayman; San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

My husband and I prefer ports that allow us to just safely wander around.

Thanks for you help!

Ensenada is a total waste of a stop.  All other things being equal I would choose by price. If prices are close a extra day is the ticket.  Looks like Radiance wins.  Happy cruising 

Just to add another thing to consider, the transfer from Fort Lauderdale airport to the cruise port is close, quick and cheap. From either Houston airport to the Galveston port is the opposite… 

I think they can both ships can do the old locks but if either itinerary mentions old vs new, I highly suggest picking one that goes through the old locks which are so much more interesting.

Nicaragua is a port that often is missed - often for political reasons.  And personally, Grand Cayman you can do as part of a Caribbean cruise anytime.  Puntarenas has a lot to do and Cabo is on my list of ports I really want to visit.  I agree that Ft. Lauderdale is an easier port to get to than Galveston.  So on ports alone, I would lean towards the Brilliance.

One other thing to consider is to look at the deck plans and see what kind of public space each ship has to view the transit through the locks.  The front is probably the best viewing spot although you can get an amazing view from the back and the sides of the ship too.   Even if you book a balcony, you may want to spend some time in public areas to get a different view of the transit.  I know they are sister ships but often there are little differences that might give one a bit more public space in areas that would be ideal spots to view the canal transit.

All that said, both would be a great cruise.  I really don't think you can go wrong.  I loved our trip through the Panama Canal and it is already back on my list to do again.

• Like 2