Which NCL Cruise Ships for Teens - our "first" cruise

sharpcruiser13

Hi all!  I used to use these forms about 15 years ago (yikes!) when we planned a cruise to Alaska, just me and hubby.  About a decade ago, we took a Carnival Cruise with our son when he was just 2.5.  It was essentially just a really low cost vacation as we booked off season, and just wanted to get away somewhere warm. 

Now we are considering a family Caribbean cruise with our son who is now 13.  (That's why I'm sort of calling this, our "first" cruise... It's just been so long!)  I know there are so many choices, and I've tried to do some preliminary research.  I believe I have narrowed it down to NCL, and that is based on the variety of things to do on the ship for a boy that age, as well as the deals they seem to run frequently (free bar, dining, etc.).  I know there are other lines and choices, but with so many, it is overwhelming, and at this point, I'm going to at least narrow to NCL.  

We are looking for a Caribbean cruise during Spring Break / March 2023, so my dates are somewhat rigid.  Even so, it seems NCL has many choices for us!

Where I need help is - If anyone has traveled with teens, what ships did you enjoy and why?  I think my son would definitely be interested the water park, and probably one with the Go Kart track.  What other ships and features were a hit with your teens?  

Thank you all so much!  

I don't have kids (just 4 dogs and a cat), so my personal experience isn't very relevant to you. Thankfully, I did remember there were a few topics posted discussing teens and cruise ships. Here are some links that you may find helpful:

1. Best ship with teens 

2. Best room for 2 adults/2 kids 

3. Try NCL - I thought this one might be most helpful, but there's a lot of childish bickering going on, so read it, but don't really take it too seriously. 

I used search term "teens" to find these. There are probably other, more helpful topics if you dive deeper into the search. 

Have an amazing time in the Caribbean!

• Like 1

We sailed the Escape with 10 of us from teens to seniors and everyone had a great time.  DH and I sailed the Breakaway (sister ship) in February and loved it.  My vote would be for the Breakaway.  We're booked on her again for late winter.

We really like sailing out of N.O.  If you go in the day before I would recommend staying at either the Marriot Convention Center or the Courtyard by Marriot New Orleans Downtown.  Both are really close to the cruise ship terminal.  You can just walk across the street.

• Like 1

Does your son like go karts, laser tag and virtual reality games or would he like ropes course and basketball?  We have been on several cruises when our son was a teen and to our surprise he preferred the ropes course and basketball.  It will really be what your son prefers.  Take into account that the go karts, laser tag and virtual reality (only on 2:ships I think) all cost extra.

Thank you all, this is really helpful information.  I will look at those posts and some of the details of those ships, and see which features might appear most.  I would say GoKarts, VR, laser tag would be the winners, but who knows, he could surprise me!   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sharpcruiser13 said:

Thank you all, this is really helpful information.  I will look at those posts and some of the details of those ships, and see which features might appear most.  I would say GoKarts, VR, laser tag would be the winners, but who knows, he could surprise me!   

The Encore has all of that. We loved that ship. Highly recommend!  

• Like 1