Note from an old lady

janetcbl

We just returned from the perfect 28 day cruise. This time I wanted no hassles; it would probably be our last trip due to age. So I booked through Viking (no TA) and each time I had a question I could talk directly with Viking, not  a TA. I booked our own Air so could get a higher cabin with miles  months ahead of our trip, on the flights I wanted in the seats we preferred. And finally, as a last indulgence, we booked a PS3 so I could skip doing laundry for the first time on a trip. When we started traveling 30+ years ago, none of this would have been possible (we had two children to put through college). Why am I writing this? Maybe to show there are some perks with aging.🥴😁.

• Like 27
  • Haha 1

Thanks Janet!

It’s funny how a change in circumstances gives you a chance to explore new things! And that college tuition albatross is a real experience!  It’s nice to have that in the rear view mirror!

Happy sailing!  Enjoy your day….

Good to hear of a great experience.  I think elsewhere on these boards I read the phrase, If you don't travel first class, your children will when you are gone.

I think of that often.  My parents traveled extensively until their late 70's when health intervened.  To provide some background, my great grandmother traveled to Moscow down to Istanbul from her Paris and Boston homes in the 1880's.  She also survived a U-boat attack which sunk her ship off Ireland in 1939.  She instilled that travel bug in her granddaughter my late mother.  My mother met my dad when he was "off season" from an engineering job building air bases in Greenland in the early 50's.

My parents took trips all over including Australia and Singapore flying coach when they could afford business class.  When my wife and I went to Europe in May,  it was lie flat business.

Yes, my parents children fly a higher class than they did.

• Like 4