Northern Lights

Teddy123

I've been to Alta with P&O twice, done a total of 4 excursions and seen the Northern Lights every time (varying in intensity, of course), as well as on the ship when leaving Alta.  I'm now considering a cruise on Queen Anne, with the principal aim of seeing the Lights again, but I'm hesitant because Cunard don't go to Alta, but instead visit Tromso and Narvik.  Does anybody have good/bad experiences of seeing the NL from these two? Thanks.

39 minutes ago, Teddy123 said:

I've been to Alta with P&O twice, done a total of 4 excursions and seen the Northern Lights every time (varying in intensity, of course), as well as on the ship when leaving Alta.  I'm now considering a cruise on Queen Anne, with the principal aim of seeing the Lights again, but I'm hesitant because Cunard don't go to Alta, but instead visit Tromso and Narvik.  Does anybody have good/bad experiences of seeing the NL from these two? Thanks.

The results are in the lap of the actual weather conditions, which can change hourly.  Did both on the same cruise (to ensure sighting), but only Narvik delivered the Aurora.  

Do not consider the ship’s over hyped “exclusive small party” dog slay “Chase the NL”.  A total waste of money, poor guest reception, smoke filled holding cabin, lousy food, limited drinks (weird Tea & Coffee only) and no fresh milk, very short and disappointing ride on the slays, borderline dangerous.  One slay overturned causing a broken arm to one of our party. .  And no NL. Rubbish!

If one wishes to do a proper slay NL, then contact a noted operator in Tromso and go private.  

Take the least expensive ship coach tour as the guides are knowledgeable and know how to alter the focus on the guests cameras, including smart phones when owners did not download a NL App.  Delicious hot chocolate and cookies served throughout were a welcome surprise.

Interesting to note that those who declined tours, had a glimpse and photos from the ship.

Also, the ship’s photographers had selections of decent NL photographs for sale.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Chocolate

In March of this year on QE,  both ports mentioned were on itinerary. We saw the lights on a few occasions: perhaps the best was in the early hours when we were at sea on a perishingly cold night in the Arctic Circle. At least we had the “gear” to withstand this on the open top deck.

37FE672D-F92E-434F-BEFE-94A86EED4120.jpeg

F1DCF008-3101-4EDE-B7B1-7AFE7F7685A9.jpeg

2037A5D3-0852-4E56-95D6-07C5BEF291C1.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

In March of this year on QE,  both ports mentioned were on itinerary. We saw the lights on a few occasions: perhaps the best was in the early hours when we were at sea on a perishingly cold night in the Arctic Circle. At least we had the “gear” to withstand this on the open top deck.

37FE672D-F92E-434F-BEFE-94A86EED4120.jpeg

F1DCF008-3101-4EDE-B7B1-7AFE7F7685A9.jpeg

2037A5D3-0852-4E56-95D6-07C5BEF291C1.jpeg

Wow…

Taken with a Nokia, without App or tripod on a Narvik Tour.  The guide fine tuned the phone.

E57A2617-21FB-48AD-9C55-E2F2607250B2.jpeg

F03EBF3F-71C5-4409-8645-0BA5C7CFD4FF.jpeg

• Like 1