Covid Positive 11-19 days before Embarkation – No Option for Recovery Certificate

moto_italia

Covid Positive 11-19 days before Embarkation – No Option for Recovery Certificate

1)    Embarkation Day of 8/20

2)    Test positive via RT-PCR test on 8/3 (Day Zero in Covid 10-day isolation / recovery guidelines)

3)    Docs require 10 days of isolation beginning Day Zero before willingness to provide Recovery Certificate, which would be 8/13

4)    NCL requires Recovery Certificate be dated no less than 10 days prior to Embarkation Day.  Thus, no later than 8/10, which makes a certificate dated 8/13 useless

Was planning to take the Inspire Diagnostics test on 8/18, but it is well known that some people test positive for weeks or more after contracting Covid even they have no symptoms and are not considered contagious once 10 days from positive test date have occurred.

Thus, without being able to get a Recovery Certificate that is dated no less than 10 days before embarkation and even though positive test would be 17 days prior to embarkation (CDC Travel Guidelines were to wait 10 days after positive test date to travel), if the Inspire Diagnostics test on 8/18 is positive, NCL will not allow passenger to embark?

What am I missing here?

We are in a similar situation with an 8/23 departure. Everything I’ve read says the PCR tests are the ones you can test positive on for a long time after recovery and both the precruise and onboard (for us because of Bermuda) tests can be antigen tests. I’m hanging my hat on that because Bermuda doesn’t have recovery certificates as an option anyway. 

1 hour ago, moto_italia said:

Was planning to take the Inspire Diagnostics test on 8/18, but it is well known that some people test positive for weeks or more after contracting Covid even they have no symptoms and are not considered contagious once 10 days from positive test date have occurred

MOST of those are PCR tests, a more sensitive test.  The antigen test is less sensitive and is likely to give you a negative result 10-14 days after infection.

We had Covid back in May.  I tested using an at home antigen test on day 12 after symptoms and was negative.

At this point it seems that you will either have to test negative and board the ship or test positive and get a refund.

I would keep testing at home and hope for a negative test.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, hallux said:

MOST of those are PCR tests, a more sensitive test.  The antigen test is less sensitive and is likely to give you a negative result 10-14 days after infection.

Yes, the PCR tests can/will pick up dead virus and that is why people can/will test positive for months after.  The antigen tests only pick up live virus.  That is why when traveling most places tell you to use an antigen test.