Livorno Dining Near the Port?

albertamom

We spent the day walking around Livorno on one of our trips.  We did get the shuttle in though.  Not sure what was near the port, but a very walkable town.  Saying that, I think if I had the luxury of overnighting in Livorno, I would be more likely to want to visit Florence and have time to enjoy an early supper after the crowds had gone.   There are regular trains back to the ship. 

Edited by ollienbertsmum
Missed out a point

6 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

We spent the day walking around Livorno on one of our trips.  We did get the shuttle in though.  Not sure what was near the port, but a very walkable town.  Saying that, I think if I had the luxury of overnighting in Livorno, I would be more likely to want to visit Florence and have time to enjoy an early supper after the crowds had gone.   There are regular trains back to the ship. 

I hadn’t thought about that!  I’ll look into the trains. Thanks! 😃

4 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

You cannot walk from the ship in Livorno, it's a huge industrial port and you are required to use the shuttle buses or a taxi/car service to get around.

How are you thinking about using your two days in the area?

That’s good to know, about the port. Thank you. 

We plan to do Pisa one day and a Tuscany wine tour the other. 😃

On 8/7/2022 at 8:48 PM, albertamom said:

We are overnighting in Livorno on Viking, and are thinking that we might like to have dinner ashore.  Are there any recommendations for dining near the port?  Is the area walkable?

2 hours ago, albertamom said:

I hadn’t thought about that!  I’ll look into the trains. Thanks! 😃

As has been pointed out, you do not get directly from train to ship.  We had a shuttle booked, maybe if you stay overnight by the time you return you will be too late for the shuttle.  However you will have time to look for a taxi/bus.  You won’t have any stress about the ship leaving without you so you can eat drink and make merry and take advantage of an overnight.  I have been on multiple western med cruises and never had one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

As has been pointed out, you do not get directly from train to ship.  We had a shuttle booked, maybe if you stay overnight by the time you return you will be too late for the shuttle.  However you will have time to look for a taxi/bus.  You won’t have any stress about the ship leaving without you so you can eat drink and make merry and take advantage of an overnight.  I have been on multiple western med cruises and never had one.

We feel very lucky to have an overnight, so want to take full advantage. Thanks for all the info. Merrymaking is definitely on the agenda!  😃

• Like 1