Private Reyno tour vs group Beno

vic from vic

We have the option to go on a private tour with Reyno or a group with Beno. There's a fair difference in the cost, but I'm leaning towards the private tour. They do go to the same places, but I'm thinking that if we like one particular place (or don't like it), we can move on at our pace instead of waiting for others.

Anyone have any input?

I have no experience with Beno but 4 weeks ago I did a private tour with Reynold. I arranged it about a month ahead via email. I asked him if we could modify his usual tour since I wanted to snorkel at Champagne reef and do a small land tour. He agreed. It was certainly the "island" experience but he met me as agreed near the ship. Since there were 4 of us we expected to to the tour alone but the driver and our guide also picked up 4 more people for the land tour. It was a great tour, better than I expected. Dominica is a beautiful tropical place. Mr Nice fruit stand was unforgettable. After the (long) land tour he took us a few miles to Champagne beach as agreed where we snorkeled (was great, water was very clear). You can't imagine how bad the roads are in some places in Dominica. Then back to the ship as agreed. I certainly got my money's worth and would have to recommend Reynold. But if you want to deviate from the "normal" tour, make sure it is very clear to him from the start what you want. You may have to make concessions if other people come along. But we had no problems.

It's not so much that I want to deviate, I'm just thinking that on the private tour we can do things at our pace instead of a group pace. But it sounds like you're not guaranteed the private tour anyway - if he picked up some others when you thought it was just the 4 of you.

I would email Reyno back and ask for his price for a tour for just your party, no additions. He has three vans he operates, so may be able to accommodate you. However, I would expect to pay substantially more than you would pay for just the two of you, since he would be losing that income he'd make with more passengers. Still, if you know the price, you can then make an informed decision. And if he can't accommodate you, he may know of another driver who could take you on a private tour.

Becki

• 1 month later...

Don't know about a tour with Reyno but we did our tour with Beno and was just our party of 8 4 adults and 4 children. He was very receptive to our needs and where we wanted to go. We had an amazing day on 4/11/06. He told us so much history and about his family that I feel like we have always known him. We were with him for @5hours. We got to Trafagla falls, emerald pools, Mr. Nice's fruit stand, botanigal gardens, his daughter's school and saw the countryside which is beautiful. I can't wait to go back and will definately use Beno again

We booked with Reyno in March and we had an awesome time.

There were 4 of us and we did all the Dominica highlights. Reyno himself is a wonderful person and his staff are equally wonderful. We loved Dominica because of Reyno's tour. I would HIGHLY recommend him over the ship's tour offerings.

Email him like we did and he'll wait for you at port.

reyno@hotmail.com

You won't be sorry.

Lori:)

Our cruise critic group filled a van for a Reyno tour just a few weeks ago. It was absolutely outstanding! Besides an excellent driver, we also had a wonderful guide, Marvelyn (who was marvelous!) She sat facing us in the van and was very knowledgeable, answered all our questions, humored us with riddles & made our day just perfect! Some of us swam in the Emerald Pool (bring water shoes to step over the rocks), went through the rainforest, Trafalgar Falls, Titou Gouge, had a great view of Roseau. But besides Emerald Pool my favorite stop over was at Mr. Nice's (rustic) Fruit stand. Highly recommend Reyno!

Six of us booked a tour with Reyno last week and were very pleased. Our guide and driver were both very personable and knowledgeable. They were happy to answer our many questions and kept us entertained.

Our ship changed docks at the last minute, but Reyno was on top of it and was there to meet us. They even stopped for a few minutes in town so we could go into the local grocery store to pick up some items we needed.

Highly recommended!!!

Nancy

Archived