Solstice Accessiblity in pools

iamaqt2

3 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

Does anyone know which pool on the Solstice has an accessibilty chair lift for the pool?  Andif you've used it, how was the experience?

I can not remember on Solstice as I didn’t have mobility issues when I was on her but I did have on Eclipse. There was a chair that lowered in the solarium. it felt very safe.

First day I went in the Solarium my husband approached one of the pool attendants who immediately rounded up a colleague. They were wonderful. Once I was in the pool one or the other of them always seemed to be in hailing distance for when I wanted to get out. Next visit they were straight over! 

I had spoken to my physio prior to my cruise about what to do/not to do in the pool. Most days I either went early or later afternoon to have lots of space. The only day I didn’t go straight in was a sea day at about 11am. The pool was very busy and I simply didn’t feel safe even with my better half hovering next to me. Needless to say the pool attendants approached and understanding my reluctance instead did some sun bed reorganisation (impossible for me to access one in the middle of a row). As the pool quietened (about 12.30ish) the pool attendants were over and got me in but one stayed close by tidying towels etc so if the pool filled again they would be on hand to get me out.

Edited by chemmo

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

I can not remember on Solstice as I didn’t have mobility issues when I was on her but I did have on Eclipse. There was a chair that lowered in the solarium. it felt very safe.

First day I went in the Solarium my husband approached one of the pool attendants who immediately rounded up a colleague. They were wonderful. Once I was in the pool one or the other of them always seemed to be in hailing distance for when I wanted to get out. Next visit they were straight over! 

I had spoken to my physio prior to my cruise about what to do/not to do in the pool. Most days I either went early or later afternoon to have lots of space. The only day I didn’t go straight in was a sea day at about 11am. The pool was very busy and I simply didn’t feel safe even with my better half hovering next to me. Needless to say the pool attendants approached and understanding my reluctance instead did some sun bed reorganisation (impossible for me to access one in the middle of a row). As the pool quietened (about 12.30ish) the pool attendants were over and got me in but one stayed close by tidying towels etc so if the pool filled again they would be on hand to get me out.

Would this be the same for Silhouette? We are going to be on next June with my mum who has mobility issues. Hope so . It would be great for her to access the pool.

Just now, cnktodhunter said:

We're just off Silhouette and both the Solarium and one of the outdoor pools had chair lifts. We saw one young guy being assisted into the Solarium pool by a couple of the pool attendants. 

Thank you that's very reassuring. We were on Silhouette last summer but didn't take much notice as we didn't have mum with us. 

18 minutes ago, madmedic said:

Would this be the same for Silhouette? We are going to be on next June with my mum who has mobility issues. Hope so . It would be great for her to access the pool.

Fairly sure about the Solarium…I think it is standard on all S class ships. I am back on board in October and it will be hit and miss if I need the ‘ducking stool’ as my better half insisted on calling it or if I can I can manage the steps down with care…

2 minutes ago, cnktodhunter said:

We're just off Silhouette and both the Solarium and one of the outdoor pools had chair lifts. We saw one young guy being assisted into the Solarium pool by a couple of the pool attendants. 

I wouldn’t recommend the outdoor pool for anyone with mobility issues…Just too busy.

4 hours ago, chemmo said:

Chemmo, that's very helpful information and super informative.  Thank you for the detailed reply!

2 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Chemmo, that's very helpful information and super informative.  Thank you for the detailed reply!

You are very welcome. It was my first cruise in a wheelchair following surgery. I could hop around short distances on crutches so I didn’t need an accessible cabin but found it an eye opener! So many little things you normally take for granted become so hard!

All staff were fantastic. Our room attendant rounded up a stool for me to use in the bathroom. Tuscan Grill staff fussed around me every visit as they were aware I needed a back cushion. The lovely young lady in the ladies WC by Michael’s helped with doors etc….

If you need any additional equipment etc remember to complete the special needs form…

• Thanks 1