KETCHIKAN WARD COVE

Tooncamp

Reading the reviews about this port. Went there in 2010 and loved it. I’m very concerned about this shuttle to town and back. We don’t have an excursion planned. We just wanted to go to Creek Street and do some shopping. We are contemplating doing the trolley excursion with NCL since it starts at 8 hoping to get extra time. I read the last shuttle to the ship is 11? Any alternatives such as getting a cab back to the ship? I don’t know what time is all aboard.

Absolutely, that shuttle into town is an issue.   You might want to do what I did, and find an excursion operator willing to drop you off at Ward Cove (only I did that day-of; not a reservation).   Ward Cove should have a couple of kayaking and Zodiac excursions, where you launch your boat specifically out of Ward Cove.

7 hours ago, Tooncamp said:

....... I read the last shuttle to the ship is 11? Any alternatives such as getting a cab back to the ship? I don’t know what time is all aboard.

The all onboard time for passengers is generally half an hour before departure.  What time is your ship departing Ketchikan?  Port times should be on your itinerary.

2 hours ago, Tooncamp said:

We are in Ketchikan 7-1:15. I think we will have to be off the ship early as possible. I watched a you tube video going from ward cove to downtown and it seems like quite a ride to get to Berth 4.

We just returned from Encore with this same port time. This was the first port ever for us where we did an excursion through the ship because I was concerned about the short port time and very early last shuttle. (We did the Rainforest Canoe and Nature Trail which I recommend if you want a minimally adventurous but physical excursion).  However, It was frustrating that our excursion returned us to the ship at 11:30 and we didn't even have the opportunity to go downtown if we wanted to.

• 7 months later...

NCL doesn't give us much time...had been looking at the "Local Brews and Waterfront Cruise" for our upcoming NCL Bliss cruise but looks like only one way from Ward Cove into Ketchikan...looks like still have to take the shuttle back. Even though I will have a shore excursion credit, it would still be $100... Did similar trip last year and stopped at Ward Cove and as the morning got later the line for the shuttle into town got very long. I don't know how long the wait was for those trying to go as I did not take the shuttle-just wandered around the gift shop as we have been to Ketchikan before.  If the waterfront cruise was round trip back to Ward Cove, I'd do it.  Not sure about just one way...

I decided to book the later time for the lumberjack show as that should get me back to ward cove for 12:30pm, I just need to confirm with the excursion desk on the ship if I can meet at the show rather than at ward cove. If that’s possible then I’ll aim to catch the earliest shuttle into town to get a decent chance to wander and see the Totem poles around the town. With the excursion credit the lumberjack show is about as much as a taxi would likely cost.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 1:51 AM, eileeshb said:

I decided to book the later time for the lumberjack show as that should get me back to ward cove for 12:30pm, I just need to confirm with the excursion desk on the ship if I can meet at the show rather than at ward cove. If that’s possible then I’ll aim to catch the earliest shuttle into town to get a decent chance to wander and see the Totem poles around the town. With the excursion credit the lumberjack show is about as much as a taxi would likely cost.

Do you have any info on shuttle bus queue at 7am? Our plan is to leave ship as early as possible, see mains sights and then go to lumberjack show at 9.30 am (booked independently). After show we have to head back to ship straight away as last shuttle bus is at 11am. This port is stressing me out. 

17 hours ago, Nataly1982 said:

Do you have any info on shuttle bus queue at 7am? Our plan is to leave ship as early as possible, see mains sights and then go to lumberjack show at 9.30 am (booked independently). After show we have to head back to ship straight away as last shuttle bus is at 11am. This port is stressing me out. 

Not a notion but the question has been raised on the current live review so hopefully we’ll have more info at the end of the week once Bliss gets to Ketchikan. 

• Like 1

I have been to Ward Cove 3 times so far. The pier is nice. I like the area you walk through  on your way to catch the buses. Now with that being said, you need to choose between doing an excursion or going into town. There is not enough time to do both. The last time we went , on NCL, would be last May. By the time we got off the shuttle bus from Ward Cove to downtown Ketchikan, we had about 2 hours to walk around before the last shuttle back to Ward Cove. Total bummer. Thankfully I knew where I wanted to go beforehand. But if you have never been you wont get far. If you rush to get to Creek Street you will be rushing back for the last shuttle. If you want alot of time in Ketchikan don't go on NCL. 

• Like 1

Ward Cove is another reason why we will never cruise to Alaska on NCL again.  As mentioned, the time and ease of getting to downtown is ridiculous.  If not on an NCL tour, you have to wait until those on cruise tours have left.  Think of tendering.