NCL Travel Insurance Confirmation

NW Pacific

Booked a Cruise to Alaska, sailing on Sept. 10th.  Purchased on Aug. 5th.  Bought the included Travel Protection.  Asked the consultant  if I would receive a confirmation email from the insurance company regarding coverage.  No I was told, Confirmation from NCL shows your purchase, that's all you need.  Have purchased travel insurance for every cruise before independently, always received email confirm within minutes.  Today Aug 10th, call the Insurance company, phone number listed on NCL website.  they have no information that we have coverage from them.  Said possibly could take weeks before NCL forward payment.   Call consultant, ask him to find out when NCL  will forward the payment to Ins. company.  Said he has no access to that. hmm I think.  What if I broke my leg today and could not travel, tried to file a claim??   Says NCL will then do something??  Tried to explain NCL is not the insurance agent, Berkeley is and they have no knowledge of our coverage.  Basically told I was worrying about nothing.   Which could be very true.   So, has anybody else felt safe about travelling without a confirmation from the insurance company, with only an amount deducted for Travel Protection on your NCL Confirmation?    If I had to do over, the red flag getting no email  confirm, I should have declined.   

Technically you didn't call the insurance company, you called the servicing company, Aon. 

NCL's plan is underwritten by Nationwide. Your purchased coverage level is listed on your cruise reservation.  Documentation is a little different when you buy from the cruise line but it's all available here, just click your plan level then enter your state: https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/booksafe

You can combine the cruise docs with the downloaded pdf to act as your normal insurance certificates.

1 hour ago, NW Pacific said:

Booked a Cruise to Alaska, sailing on Sept. 10th.  Purchased on Aug. 5th.  Bought the included Travel Protection.  Asked the consultant  if I would receive a confirmation email from the insurance company regarding coverage.  No I was told, Confirmation from NCL shows your purchase, that's all you need.  Have purchased travel insurance for every cruise before independently, always received email confirm within minutes.  Today Aug 10th, call the Insurance company, phone number listed on NCL website.  they have no information that we have coverage from them.  Said possibly could take weeks before NCL forward payment.   Call consultant, ask him to find out when NCL  will forward the payment to Ins. company.  Said he has no access to that. hmm I think.  What if I broke my leg today and could not travel, tried to file a claim??   Says NCL will then do something??  Tried to explain NCL is not the insurance agent, Berkeley is and they have no knowledge of our coverage.  Basically told I was worrying about nothing.   Which could be very true.   So, has anybody else felt safe about travelling without a confirmation from the insurance company, with only an amount deducted for Travel Protection on your NCL Confirmation?    If I had to do over, the red flag getting no email  confirm, I should have declined.   

So, forget about your experience buying private insurance.

1. Log on to your NCL account. 
  2. Click on the Summary Tab
  3. Expand the Essentials Travel Protection line

This will show you your insurance coverage. 

That's all you are going to get. Be satisfied with that. We have filed multiple claims using NCL insurance. Works fine. 

Please do not break your leg, it makes getting down the stairs to your lifeboat while the ship is sinking difficult. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

Bird Travels; when you needed  to submit claims, who did you call??  NCL? or the "insurance company" that services NCL which  ChillyW above mentioned AON?   800-722-5672?

NCL does not sell insurance. They purchase insurance on your behalf. The policy is not cancel for any reason. However, if you cancel your cruise and the insurance company (Aon) denies your claim, NCL will give you a 75% or 90% future cruise credit. 

On the link below, click on the level of plan you have purchased (Standard or Platinum). At the bottom of that "policy" there is a link to file a claim with Aon. 

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/booksafe

In April 2022, NCL cancelled our Norwegian Escape cruise after the ship ran aground and was out of service for a month. We were rebooked on a different cruise from a different city. 3 days prior to departure, there was a significant air fare difference and he insurance covered that expense. We have also cancelled cruises for non-covered reasons (i.e., too busy at work) and have got the FCC. 

Edited by BirdTravels

38 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

Ok thanks,   I see my coverage on my NCL.  Just wish the actual company would see me confirmation.  But guess that's not going to happen  urgh.    Right now just need to make sure I can to the Bar!!

On your Guest Receipt emailed to you at time of initial payment, you will see the Travel Protection listed next to your name at the top with a link to the "policy"/refund down on page 2 under Booksafe Travel Protection 

• Like 1