I've never snorkled before, so excuse me if this is a super-dumb question ...

sdwrdt

I wear glasses, so it's pretty expensive to get a proper mask. Plus, while I was at the dive shop in town, I couldn't get the breathing down (could possibly have something to do with my allergies/asthma).

So, would it be possible to wear my swimming goggles which have been adjusted for my sight?

Not a dumb question at all. A mask works good because it covers your nose and you can breath with your mouth through the snorkel. You can imporvise though. Just use your goggles, and get a swimmers nose plug. Or worst case scenario you could plug your nose with your hand and snorkel...lol Good Luck and have fun!!

These are also available for those who don't want to buy an expensive prescription mask.

I think you will really want to try to get the hang of using a regular mask and snorkel. Using the goggles will work, but you will be so interested in what's under you that having to keep popping up to grab a breath will be a pain! :) Plus even with using the goggles and nose plugs, the snorkel usually clips onto the mask in some way to keep the top of the tube out of the water.

If and when you get a snorkel and mask, just practice. Use a big bowl of water or fill up the sink, or if its on vacation, try to get in a pool. Its really just breathing in and out of a tube - once you get past that weird feeling you should be good.

For what it's worth, I have pretty bad eyes so I need some assistance in the mask. There are a couple options to save $$ here. One - if you have no astigmatism or mild one, you can probably get away with what they call a step diopter mask - they come in pre-made lenses to get you close. Check on ebay - they're a lot cheaper than a full custom prescription mask.

Here's another option if you need real prescription lenses - scubaspec.com/page2.html - You order the insert, go to Walmart for some cheapo lenses, and then attach it in a regular mask. I thought it was brilliant.

I just won an auction on ebay the other day for a step diopter mask that's supposed to be here tomorrow. I'll see how that does for me, otherwise I still have 5 weeks before we sail and I can order from scubaspec.

Hope this helps!

I used to have to wear contacts while diving, and 30 years ago the masks always leaked. Since I had R K surgery 12 years ago, I need reading glasses again. But I don't need then at all for diving.

Two points

First, you will be able to see much better underwater through even a plain glass mask. This is due to the lens/focusing effect of the water. Same effect that makes tings seem about 30% larger/closer than they really are.

Second, combine that effect with the standard diopters above(which are essentially the infamous "reading glasses") and you can see pretty darn well without the aids you rely on above water.

I wasn't sure I believed it, but when I was taking a class in water safety instruction I was told to never dive very deep with swim goggles. Depending on how they fit your eyes sockets, the change in pressure could cause serioues damage to your eye, to the extent your eyeball might pop out. Like I said, don't know if I believe it, but I have never wanted to test it. As long as you don't dive, it isn't an issue.

We are looking at a snorkling trip at St. Thomas and they say they rent perscription masks for only a small additional fee.

• 2 weeks later...
I wear glasses, so it's pretty expensive to get a proper mask. Plus, while I was at the dive shop in town, I couldn't get the breathing down (could possibly have something to do with my allergies/asthma).

So, would it be possible to wear my swimming goggles which have been adjusted for my sight?

I have a good mask with the dipoter corrective lenses. I am very near sighted and this mask works great for me underwater. I can read my watch, my dive computer, the dive plan and so forth. For snorkeling your dive goggles will work. They are NOT recommended for SCUBA diving though. They are not designed to withstand the increased pressure one encounter's at increasing depths.

We both bought Ocean Master Z4's from a good eBay vendor. These run in the $35-$40 range without the diopter lenses. The diopter corrective lenses added another $35 or so to the cost of my mask and came installed in the mask when I bought it. While not cheap this isn't a huge expense and one that is well worth it to get a mask that fits and that works well.

Hope this is helpful and enjoy your snorkeling.

I wasn't sure I believed it, but when I was taking a class in water safety instruction I was told to never dive very deep with swim goggles. Depending on how they fit your eyes sockets, the change in pressure could cause serioues damage to your eye, to the extent your eyeball might pop out. Like I said, don't know if I believe it, but I have never wanted to test it. As long as you don't dive, it isn't an issue.

Believe it:eek: Remember pressure in water increases by one full atmosphere at about 33 feet. Think about those goggle rims pressing in around your eyes at 14.7 pupounds per square inch - all concentrated at the rim of the goggle. The only really important reason for keeping the nose inside the mask is the ability to equalize pressure inside the mask.

Archived