Hotel in Southampton UK

iamcdneh

Just a heads up re the Mercure Dolphin.  Due to notes on this board re the Mercure being frequently unavailable I called the hotel to double check our reservation for May and was advised they have moved our reservation to the Novatel!!!  The location is not acceptable to us nor is the way this has been handled.  

42 minutes ago, ehogan said:

Just a heads up re the Mercure Dolphin.  Due to notes on this board re the Mercure being frequently unavailable I called the hotel to double check our reservation for May and was advised they have moved our reservation to the Novatel!!!  The location is not acceptable to us nor is the way this has been handled.  

If it’s a location that’s important, then instruct the hotel to move one’s booking to one of these:

Pig in the Wall 

White Heart Pub

Ennios

Southampton Harbour 

or for a treat outside Southampton, Lime Wood Hotel

All will give a great stay….

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

30 minutes ago, ehogan said:

A year or two back the Dolphin was requisitioned to house refugees - I thought that finished months ago. As indeed it must have done - temporarily at least - or it wouldn't have been offered to you.

The obvious thing for a booking agency to do is to inform you that the room is now regrettably unavailable and tell you they have reserved a room at wherever if you wish, unless you prefer to cancel the booking, 

Novotel is an excellent hotel, with better facilities. But it's modern whereas the Dolphin is a coaching inn with history. And most of the city's sights, pubs, restaurants, shops etc are around the old town & waterfront - a (pleasant enough) 15-minute walk from the Novotel.

It shouldn't be too difficult to find availability for May elsewhere in the heart of the city.

JB 🙂