Refund on Disembarkation

malcliz

One of our excursions that we purchased online before our cruise was cancelled on board at short notice so we enquired at Guest Relations and was told the money would be refunded on the card we used to purchase the tour, which is fine. However when we disembarked there was an alert on our card and we had to queue up to receive our refund in dollars. This seems very odd and not so convenient as it meant a delay in our journey and a trip to the bank today to change the dollars. I wonder why they do this and not just refund online?

16 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@malcliz

The norm is that cancelled shorex charges are returned to your folio as Refundable OBC and also that any Refundable OBC/credit on your Folio is refunded in cash before you leave the ship.

PAPERWORK!!

Thank you! We didn’t realise that. We expected it to be refunded via our credit card. 

For us we were told that a credit would hit after disembarkation.  As were a couple of charges.  Sure enough, I just had stuff hit a week after we got off. 

Something about how it all gets processed as our card was charged which wouldn't happen right away.

So... maybe it varies?

19 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

One more good reason not to prepay service charges.

Or Internet and Premium Plus drinks as well.  Some things you have to do in advance; if you're buying extra specialty meals or want to be sure you're not shut out of an excursion.  But I used to be guilty of prepaying everything because the more "all inclusive" it seemed once I got onboard, the better.  Not anymore.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DMP609 said:

Is disembarkation day the only day you can receive your refundable OBC or can you get it earlier so that it doesn't hold up your disembarkation?

You can go to Guest Services desk the day before disembarkation and ask for your refund in cash.

(I can't say for certain, but I do believe there is a limit to the dollar amount they will give you.)

On the final full day, go asap, because the desk gets very busy later in the day!

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

You can go to Guest Services desk the day before disembarkation and ask for your refund in cash.

(I can't say for certain, but I do believe there is a limit to the dollar amount they will give you.)

On the final full day, go asap, because the desk gets very busy later in the day!

We did go to guest services the day before and asked for the money to be put back on our credit card which they said they would do. We didn’t want it back in cash so we were surprised when we had to queue up to receive dollars on disembarkation when our coach was waiting. 

• Like 1

@malcliz

I suspect that you spoke with a Guest Services "clerk" and not with a Financial Officer.

I also assume that you paid with a GBP credit card and that the currency on the ship was USD!!   As I said in an earlier post "PAPERWORK"!!

Also they have no idea if the credit card you used to make the booking is still extant.   If it isn't the funds are returned and life gets VERY difficult; been there done that.

• Like 1