Cruise Line & Itinerary Recommendations for 7 day Mediterranean Cruise

turtlebud

So many variables ...

I am sure what ever itinerary or cruise line you pick there will be some people who praise it and some who were not satisfied.

Do you prefer an American style ship with many Americans -> RCL, NCL, Celebrity

European, Southern, Italien -> MSC

European, elegant, British -> Cunard

Have you been to any Mediterranean countries before? 

Which pictures to you see, when you think about the Mediterranean? Try to find an itinerary that includes these? May it be tapas on the beach, walking the walls of an ancient city, picturesque coastlines, the Acropolis or the Vatican.

Without having any further information about you and your interest, I would just recommend a cruise that has two sea days for relaxation, especially for the boys, ports that are full of history (not beach days), and a mayor high light like Rome ot Athens as embarkation or debarkation port such that you can stay there a couple of days.  

You only mentioned "a european cruise" and in addition to the Western and/ or Southern Med, Greek Islands etc, that geographic area includes eg the British Isles, NorwegianFfjords, North Cape and Norway (other than the fjords), Baltic countries, Iceland , Greenland  and N European countries such as The Netherlands

I think the first thing you need to do is give some thought to which particular area would be of most interest to you as a family and take it from there.

Edited by edinburgher

Thanks, these are great things to consider!

We have never been to Europe/Mediterranean countries before.  I think Italy/Spain/France would have the sites that we'd be interested in seeing - would be nice to see some historic sites & views.  Embarkation/debarkation in Rome is a great idea.  I've been looking at Royal Caribbean and Rome or Barcelona seem to the ports that they start/end at, which would work for us.

Italy/Spain/France would have the sites that we'd be interested in seeing - would be nice to see some historic sites & views. [good choice]

My HS boy (and girl) liked iconic ruins/places studied school--Rome (Colo), Naples (Pompeii). He did not enjoy "walking around looking at old buildings and churches" as much, so we mixed active days like kayaking/hiking, Fat Tire bike tour in Barcelona (great), with a few slower days. Both love climbing towers (Pisa, hill towns by Florence).

For that age, I'd suggest a larger ship with lots to do--NCL newer ships, and most RCCL ships (not the oldest ones).  We left from Rome and added on days in Rome. You can also fly into Venice and see Venice and Florence on the way to Rome via train. We've also flown to Switzerland, hiked, and then trained to Milan, Florence, Rome. 

Edited by elaine5