Celiac on NCL

Trixie21

We are regular Royal Caribbean cruisers but the new Norwegian Prima class interests me.

We are looking at a May 2024 cruise on Viva.

What is holding me back (and has stopped me booking on other lines before) is my wife's dietary needs - she has celiac disease. We know what to expect with Royal and know she can eat well and have choice when we cruise with them.

How is Norwegian with Gluten free food? We would be eating in MDR , buffet and usually the steakhouse speciality restaurant a couple of times. What about pizza onboard - is gluten free available ? And do O'Sheehans have any gluten free options?

From what I can see NCL has a relatively good reputation for food quality and options so I'm hoping that we won't have an issue on this score,  but input from those with first hand experience would be very useful.

This is quite important,  as a lack of food options would just ruin what is a very expensive holiday.

Another question occurs to me- we are from the UK - if the cruise dropped in price before final payment can we take advantage of this without losing our deposit ? Is pricing normally quite stable or are price drops common when booking this far out?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

We are regular Royal Caribbean cruisers but the new Norwegian Prima class interests me.

We are looking at a May 2024 cruise on Viva.

What is holding me back (and has stopped me booking on other lines before) is my wife's dietary needs - she has celiac disease.

This info might be helpful: https://www.ncl.com/about/contact-us#   (you'll  need to scroll down to "SPECIAL NEEDS".

Also here is a link to a recent post with similar concerns as yours:

• Like 2

My daughter has celiac and we’ve always received wonderful service from NCL. Register with the access desk and meet with the restaurant manager upon boarding. You will plan meals in advance. In our experience, they really understand the difference between eating gluten free and celiac (cross contamination, etc). My daughter really likes their gf pizza and pasta in La Cucina and the cheese bread at Moderno. She has a standing order of the cheese bread delivered to wherever she is eating dinner.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FLcruisergrl said:

My daughter has celiac and we’ve always received wonderful service from NCL. Register with the access desk and meet with the restaurant manager upon boarding. You will plan meals in advance. In our experience, they really understand the difference between eating gluten free and celiac (cross contamination, etc). My daughter really likes their gf pizza and pasta in La Cucina and the cheese bread at Moderno. She has a standing order of the cheese bread delivered to wherever she is eating dinner.

Thanks - that all sounds good and similar to how it is organised on Royal .

Is cagneys steakhouse able to cope with celiac needs also?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

Thanks - that all sounds good and similar to how it is organised on Royal .

Is cagneys steakhouse able to cope with celiac needs also?

Definitely! Again, meet with the restaurant manager prior to (we always ordered that evening’s dinner at breakfast or the night before). There’s tons of options at Cagney’s.

• Like 1

We’ve sailed on 4 NCL ships, the experience with celiac was amazing. My daughter especially loved breakfast, ordered the night before, brought to her at the buffet (just had to call when we were on our way). Pancakes, waffles, muffins, toast, eggs Benedict - she was well fed.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 7:54 AM, FLcruisergrl said:

Did they charge you extra for the cheese bread from Moderno? This option sounds much better than the standard GF bread they offer at lunch and dinner.

20 minutes ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

Did they charge you extra for the cheese bread from Moderno? This option sounds much better than the standard GF bread they offer at lunch and dinner.

My daughter was given the bread free of charge, plus flourless chocolate cake from a specialty restaurant.